What to feed my husband

Options
My hubby likes big meals and eats alot at a sitting. We are both going to focus on better eating, but I am thinking we need somewhat different diets. I sit at a desk and am carb sensitive, while he lays floor and will probably need more carbs and protien than me. I prepare his food, but what are the staples I should make for him vs. what i know I need to do for me...

Replies

• NatalieWinning
    NatalieWinning Posts: 999 Member
    Options
    My husband just joined MFP. To focus on healthy eating, not as much weight to loose. You know he can eat a whole lot more food than me! Would your husband join? Or can you put him in with height and weight and check for yourself? That would help you know what differences he has. I'm very surprised mine joined. I've been doing it 6 months and he's slowly been doing a few healthy habits he got from me once he realized I was serious. Now he will see what foods is good and hurts his day himself. Which is so much different than me telling him!
  • JMun
    JMun Posts: 409
    Options
    portion control is the #1 key to weight loss. If you're serious about weight loss (him too) then portion sizes and accurately counting is going to be vital to your success...

Protein fills you up and its healthy calories. I have a limited diet due to personal choices (pescetarian) but I eat loads of grilled fish. If I'm ravenous 9 times out of 10 if I chose to eat some protein my hunger subsides quickly. Fresh veggies and I mean FRESH veggies (not that pre packaged bullsh!t) is low calorie and delicious. Green beans. Snap peas. Brussel sprouts. Portabella mushrooms. Red peppers. Sweet potatoes. Squash. Corn. I could go on and on.. but choose fresh over frozen or packaged.

Fresh veg & protein.

PS. My husband has lost 75 lbs in 9 months and I have lost 50 lbs in 7 months. We eat the same things.
  • sanura
    sanura Posts: 459 Member
    Options
    he can have the same as you just a little more. make some great salads, stir frys, roasted veggies, you can eat large amounts for very few calories and lots of nutrients you need. add a serving of protein and a serving of grains and you're good.
  • sanura
    sanura Posts: 459 Member
    Options
    way to go JMun!!!
  • luv2ash
    luv2ash Posts: 1,903 Member
    Options
    you definitely have to control those portions--start by weighing everything and journaling all that you eat on MFP--when you see how many calories you truly are taking in on a day--maybve that will be enough to motivate him.

No one needs more carbs than anyone else (in my opinion). On my program, we all eat the same amount--no matter what your job is.

the two of you have got to sit down and discuss your goals and discuss how you will reach them---It won't happen without major changes.
  • RedHotRunner
    RedHotRunner Posts: 850 Member
    Options
    My husband eats what I eat. The difference is portion. I'll have 3-4 ounces of steak and he'll have 8 ounces.
  • wolfchild59
    wolfchild59 Posts: 2,608 Member
    Options
    My hubby can have way more calories than me each day. Not only is he a guy and bigger but he's on his feet all day. The way we dealt with it is that he'll have a large lunch and make that his biggest meal of the day. Then, whatever I make for myself for dinner he just has the same thing. Sometimes I'll add extra to his if it's not somethin that's just two portions. (I.e. If I put a tablespoon of shredded cheese on top of my enchilada soup I'll do a larger amount for him)
  • SuzanneBall
    SuzanneBall Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    This has all been very helpful! ty!
  • rosebarnalice
    rosebarnalice Posts: 3,488 Member
    Options
    My hubby eats what I eat at the dinner table, but he's a snacker, and he makes his own snacks--usually something high fiber and high protein.

Typically, he likes to keep lean lunch meat, whole wheat tortillas, and canned beans in the house, and make himself a lunchmeat & bean wrap when he gets home before dinner is ready, and/or later in the evening if he still feels he hasn't had enough to eat. He'll also roast a chicken and keep it in the fridge for wrapping and snacking.