meal replacements

Options
Anyone want to share their experiences with meal replacement bars/shakes? Because I travel on business constantly I'm not always able to get the kind of food I need, i thought a meal replacement bar might work. I tried the Cliff bars, they aren't bad but they have around 230 cals and aren't filling enough. Someone suggested I try the big 100 collasal bar but those things have over 400 calories, yeesh. Any suggestions?

Replies

• RedHotRunner
    RedHotRunner Posts: 850 Member
    Options
    I can't do the shakes, as I need to actually chew something, but occasionally, I'll have a South Beach bar and some fruit for breakfast. I more than often have prepared salads from Trader Joes for lunch.

When you're traveling, can you easily access a market? You can pick up some already prepared hard boiled eggs and fruit, or prepared salads. Much better for you.
  • Live_To_Win
    Live_To_Win Posts: 340 Member
    Options
    I do travel on business myself, and I use a Slimfast shake when I have to. Probably not the best thing overall, but at least I am getting something better then some of the alternatives and I am losing weight.
  • JMJohnson1005
    JMJohnson1005 Posts: 222 Member
    Options
    When I first started changing my eating habits I started with Slim Fast. It really helped me jump start my weighloss. Now I keep some in the fridge for days when I don't have time to fix something. They usually keep me full until my snack. I haven't tried the bars though.
  • teacher4380
    Options
    I have had my share of protein shakes. The main thing is that you need to find what works for you...everyone has a different tolerance for these YUMMY drinks! I used to enjoy whey-based protein drinks...now I get nauseated just smelling it! (5 weeks of a full-liquid diet can do that to you!) I started out with the Starbucks banana protein shake/drink...then went to GNC whey and many other types of whey-based drinks. I currently do Spirutein (soy, pea, and rice protein drink). I like the Chai Latte for my breakfast...warm it slightly after mixed and sip it slowly and take your time with it!!! I think the blueberries & cream is the best of the ones that I have tried! I know many of my friends like Muscle Milk Light and I saw someone else mentioned Slim-fast shakes...too much sugar in that one for me, but I used to like the Cappuccino one! However, I do like the Cappuccinon one that Atkins Advantage makes! Don't invest in large quantities until you see what you like! Same thing goes for protein bars...but watch the sugar content on these!!! My 2 favorites are the Slim-fast 3-2-1 meal bars that are Fruit & yogurt (nuts, cranberries and bottom dipped with yogurt) and the chocolate caramel peanut (kinda like a candy bar in some ways!) These both have 200 calories and about 10 grams of protein. If you eat them one bite at a time and chew a bunch of times and slowly enjoy the bar, it will help to curb your appetite. If you go to different vitamin shops, gnc, etc. you can try just one bar instead of buying a box of them. Try them out to see what you like/dislike without wasting too much money!!! My hubby likes that snickers marathon bars, but the sugar content is too high for me. Keep us posted! I hope you find some yummy replacements!

A sidenote for the drinks....COLD...drink them when they are really cold (minus the chai latte one that I referenced)...trust me on this!!!
  • CCSunlight
    CCSunlight Posts: 249 Member
    Options
    I love SlimFast shakes (royal chocolate!) and bars (sweet and salty almond!) I'm in college and I like to grab them on the way to class or eat them while I'm getting work done. Try the mint snack bars-- it's like eating a thin mint!
  • rainonurparade3
    Options
    I use Horley's protein shakes with low fat milk. Really yum and great after a workout!

I also add benefibre (basically straight fiber) to it so if I"m having it as a meal, I'm also getting some roughage :)
  • wolfchild59
    wolfchild59 Posts: 2,608 Member
    Options
    Shakes never fill me up. I really like the Pure Protein bars (the smaller size, not the ginormous ones). They're 180-210 calories, have 18-20g of protein in them and only a couple grams of sugar. They taste like candy bars and when I have one I feel pretty well satiated for two-three hours. I mean, I'm not stuffed full, but I don't get hungry or get a growling stomach or anything.
  • shreddingit
    shreddingit Posts: 1,133 Member
    Options
    try the atkins meal bars! they have low sugar...I ate 1 once for breakfast and I wasnt hungry for a couple of hours..:happy: