Have you tried GLP1 medications and found it didn't work for you? We'd like to hear about your experiences, what you tried, why it didn't work and how you're doing now. Click here to tell us your story

liquid meals

soysos
soysos Posts: 187 Member
my belly is starting to stick out, and I've been a little sluggish lately, I think I'm going to need to go on a liquid diet pretty soon. I'm looking to add some variety to my liquids. I need a high calorie liquid meal replacement, preferably homemade, that contains no soy or other legumes. does anybody have some suggestions?

Replies

• Hearts_2015
    Hearts_2015 Posts: 12,031 Member
    Water and REAL food work quite well to reduce bloating and feelings of sluggishness. Bump up your fiber, get in plenty of liquids (water only) and I doubt you'll feel the need to drink your meals.

Drinking meals doesn't teach us much about food long term. People sometimes look to quick fixes when the best way of all is right in front of us! Keeping it simple, making healthy food choices, such as plenty of veggies, fruits, light meats and plenty of water!

Meal replacements are only temporary fixes that don't teach us how to live healthy long term. I'm in it for the long term...:wink::flowerforyou:
  • Do you suffer with food intolerances?? Just wondering why you were suffering with such bloating and considering a liquid diet? x
  • soysos
    allow me to introduce myself a bit so can understand why I do this. never in my life have I had issues with my weight, for most of my childhood I was working out a minimum of 10 hours a week, at some points it was closer to 30, and I always had healthy eating habits to go along with it. that is until a couple of years ago when I got a job at burger king, as much as I tried to avoid it when your working the late shift, you gata eat. since I started eating this high fat low carb diet, my stomach went on strike. it slowed down substantially, I spent a year getting sicker and sicker.

eventually I went to the doctor and was diagnosed with GP gastroparisis. at this point in time it is still very mild, and the treatment is simple enough. limit my fat and fiber intake, eat more fermented foods (yogurt, pickles, beer, etc.), avoid foods that are difficult to digest, like legumes, and eat small portions of food every few hours. this is what is known as a stage 3 diet.

every now and then as a result of a low fiber intake my colon gets backed up. so I go down to a stage 2 diet which is basically soup, juice, and milk, with a little bit of eggs, and white bread. while taking miralax. generally I have to do this for a week or two every few months, I really should have started last week, but I wanted to wait till after my birthday dinner.

I should also add that after almost three years of uncontrolled weight loss, at this point I'm trying to stop loosing weight.
  • kimwig
    kimwig Posts: 164
    Have you got this book for help with recipes?
    http://livingwithgastroparesis.com/get-help/gastroparesis-diet-book/
  • soysos
    every time I do this it amazes me what giving my stomach a off can do. I mean I feel tired but that is to be expected, and after one day I can already feel the pressure easing, but that could just be my empty stomach.