I lost 6 pounds this week?

Options
So my scale at home is telling me I lost 6 pounds this week... That's never happened to me before, and I wanna know if it's reasonable or if my scale might be out of whack? My diet is set up for me to lose 2 pounds a week, which is what I've been seeing for the last while, and then out of nowhere this week I lost 6! I'm not saying I'm upset or anything, just surprised. I've been religious about my calorie intake since starting, and this week was actually the first week I went over (valentines day dinner out...). Definitely wasn't expecting a drop of that much.

Does this ever happen? I'm not a huge guy so 6 pounds in a week feels like a lot of weight to drop. I want to happy but I'm stuck being skeptical that my scale is broken...

Thoughts?

Replies

• Healthyby30
    Healthyby30 Posts: 1,349 Member
    Options
    It's water weight. Mostly everyone's first week is like this. It will definitely slow down this week or next, don't worry!
  • NicNac86
    NicNac86 Posts: 130
    Options
    Heh, I've just written a blog about the EXACT same thing! :D
  • lushy20
    lushy20 Posts: 215 Member
    Options
    could be possible that your scale is broken, is it a digital scale?
    also i find that when over eating one night every few weeks boosts my metabolism and i lose a bit more
  • healthyjen342
    healthyjen342 Posts: 1,435 Member
    Options
    Take it a CELEBRATE!! Or do like I did and borrow a friend's scale a few minutes.
  • MrsSmith2010
    MrsSmith2010 Posts: 225 Member
    Options
    Honestly every time I overeat or have a cheat day I lose more weight about a week and a half later. Idk if it's the metabolism boost or what but that happens to me sometimes. I also notice the more water I drink to more weight I lose. I'd say be happy with it and keep moving forward. :)
  • SheliaN1960
    SheliaN1960 Posts: 454 Member
    Options
    If this is your first or second week then it is reasonable. Weight loss that fast might be dangerous but my first two weeks I lost about 4 lbs and now it is at a normal and safe weight loss. When you lose that much in a week please be sure to drink 1/2 your body weight in water!! Congrats and it sounds like you are on your way! Best wishes!!
  • swenard
    swenard Posts: 101
    Options
    1/2 your body weight in water!!!!
  • Bakkasan
    Bakkasan Posts: 1,027 Member
    Options
    Water weight! I dropped 10LB my first 10 days.
  • BernieMBurke
    BernieMBurke Posts: 206 Member
    Options
    I also suspect water weight is a contributor. Actually, I lost 10 lbs during a couple of weeks during my weight loss. This was unusual and it concerned me a little bit, but the next week I wouldn't lose anything. Additionally, I only weighed once a week which is Saturday morning. I get up and go for a long walk (6 - 10 miles) at a 4+ mph clip and come back and weigh myself. These losses were during the summer, so a lot of it was water. Still, if you do it week in and week out and the weight is less each week, then you are losing weight.
  • DixieDarlin1987
    DixieDarlin1987 Posts: 553 Member
    Options
    Okay, I had the same thing going on for a while....eating healthy and really watching the calorie intake....no loss. I was so frustrated and then I read more about the whole starvation mode thing and it makes a lot of sense. Your body is an amazing thing, and has the ability to adapt quickly. Losing 2 lbs a week means that you are creating a 7,00 calories deficit per week...that is a lot. I was trying to lose 1 lb per week. Your body has probably adapted to this new way of eating and is now functioning much more efficiently...a.k.a burning less calories doing the same things. No good. I read about something called calorie shifting (zig zagging) that is basically eating lower calories some days and higher calories on others to keep you body guessing so that it doesn't stop losing. I tried it and it actually works! I do 3 days of extremely low calories, 2 days of maintenance calories, and 2 pigout days. The trick is, creating the same calorie deficit that you would if you were eating the same amount of calories everyday. So, at the end of the week, if the deficit is the same, you should still lose weight, you're just shaking your metabolism up a bit.
  • stevepayette
    Options
    Yeah I was going to chalk it up mostly to water weight, but I'm now 3 weeks in so I would've thought any water weight would've dropped earlier. Anyway, I think I'll just keep going as is and see how things go next week.

Thanks for all the thoughts!