What to eat before a workout??

Options
Hello everyone. I am trying to find out what the best thing to eat before a workout!! Any suggestions??

Replies

• Trovan
    Trovan Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    Nothing. I believe they now consider it best to eat after.
  • 311Phil
    311Phil Posts: 397
    Options
    I just drink water, and some coffee on the way to the gym. I have a protein shake made w/ chocolate soy milk after the gym.
  • kkyishkkii
    Options
    i prefer not to eat a good couple of hours before going to the gym
  • bahrainbel
    Options
    I don't eat anything, it makes me feel sick, if I do.
  • modernfemme
    modernfemme Posts: 454 Member
    Options
    I don't eat anything, it makes me feel sick, if I do.

Especially for yoga, when you are balancing on your navel and what not. If you are ravenous though, eat a piece of fruit.
  • lareyna124
    Options
    You have to eat something before and after to get the best out of your workout. A pre-workout shake that has carbs or a banana. Right after your workout, make sure you eat protein ....best choice is a protein shake.
  • sunnysashka
    Options
    I usualy too do not eat before workout. But in 2 hours before work out I eat protein like nuts, yogurt, cheese.
  • kimcat73
    kimcat73 Posts: 687 Member
    Options
    I've tried working out on an empty stomach and it made me feel sick and I had no energy. So I usually eat a bowl of Kashi cereal and coffee about an hour before my workout. That way it's not sitting in my stomach while I workout. I also will eat a banana or something small afterward

I will say that some can workout before eating, some can't. It's an individual choice. Good luck!
  • thektturner
    thektturner Posts: 229 Member
    Options
    They say it's best to have some lean protein a couple hours before working out and then protein after. But yeah, general consensus is not to eat RIGHT before.
  • OLP76
    OLP76 Posts: 768 Member
    Options
    It really depends on what type of workout you do. Personally I do my workout on a empty stomach, if not just a hot green tea. I usually finish off with a bowl of oatmeal afterwards...
  • ertgreg
    Options
    For quick energy something light like an orange is good. Your body will use the sugar as energy. After a workout "if you are doing weight training" it is good to get some protein. Either some chicken or a protein shake. And as always, lots of water. Basicly the same as what Lareyna124 said....
  • antipholous
    Options
    I eat these Special K Protein Meal Bars. Gives me the boost I need after work.
  • yvonne1965
    Options
    Hi

I usually just drink lots of water before a work out. You want to crank you metabolism up before your meal.

Have a great work out
    :happy:
  • olymp1a
    olymp1a Posts: 1,766 Member
    Options
    I usually avoid eating for at least 2 hrs before exercising. What my doctor told me is that in case I really feel like eating something it would be better it is protein or carbs in small amount but I should avoid fibres. Fibres take a long time to be digested and it is not recommended. And make sure you are hydrated!

I believe it is better to experience a bit and see what suits you best!
  • Oompa_Loompa
    Oompa_Loompa Posts: 1,099 Member
    Options
    I've tried not eating before and I thought I was going to pass out. I couldnt work as hard. So I'm in the same boat with you : /
  • dlaplume2
    dlaplume2 Posts: 1,658 Member
    Options
    You should always eat something. Make it light though. If you eat a big meal your blood will be flowing to your stomach trying to digest your food.

I would have a light carb with a protien. Maybe toast and a hard boiled egg, or peanut butter.
  • kevanos
    kevanos Posts: 304 Member
    Options
    carbs are the esiest form of energy for you body to use during exercise. Your body uses up its reserves of glycogen during exercise, you create glycogen from carbohydrates.

So eat carbs before exercise. Fruits or vegetables an hour before exercise, or 2-3 hours before you can have whole wheat pasta, whole wheat bread, brown rice, anyting with a high glycemic index so its a slow release of energy into to body. Enriched or processed carbs have a low glycemic index, so they release all their energy very fast, your body cand`t burn all the glycogen they have turned into, so it stores it as fat.
  • etherah
    etherah Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    I've always heard that eating a banana before you work out is good. But don't eat it immediately before.
    Also, I'm pretty sure I read on the forums here somewhere that you shouldn't mix caffeine and working out. Can't remember why or exactly what they said about it.

(Please correct me if I'm wrong)
  • kevanos
    kevanos Posts: 304 Member
    Options
    protein is way more important after a workout, as soon a possible if best. Your body uses protein to build and repair muscle tissue. The sooner you give your body the building blocks to restore the muscles you just exercised, the stronger they will get.

Your body doesn`t use protein as energy until a host of other sources of energy are used up first. Protein for enery is a fallacy. Carb up pre-exercise, protein shake after.
  • Goal_Seeker_1988
    Goal_Seeker_1988 Posts: 1,619 Member
    Options
    I go to the gym first thing in the morning. I always eat oatmeal with either almond milk or raw cows milk. If you don't eat something especially if you workout first thing in the morning your body will go thru carb depition and will quickly burn outta energy. It is best to have some complex carbs and if at all possible to get some protein in.