What is your workout routine

Options
I am trying to fit in a lot of different workouts....I mainly use workout dvd's(yoga/pilates, dance aerobics) right now, and xbox kinect (zumba & your shape fitness cardio boxing), and sometimes an elliptical.
Is there a best way to fit in a variety of workouts so my body doesn't get too used to any one thing? Is it better to have a set routine, or to just randomly decide what workout I am in the mood for that day...
How effective is yoga? I found a yoga/pilates workout I like a lot, but is 45 minutes long, so idk how often I should do it, and I don't want it to be my main workout.
I typically have about 45-75 minutes a day to workout and have been working out 5 days a week. My goal is to be able to begin jogging and running outside the spring/summer to add that to a workout.
Right now, I have no money for a gym membership and I workout at 5am which a lot of nearby gyms are not open yet. I can't start walking/running outside because my area has no street lights or sidewalks and is near a busy highway...not a great place to be outside before it is light out! I plan to start walking/running in the spring after we move into the house we are trying to buy. I would love to take walks at night, by I run a daycare in my home and the kids are here at random hours, starting around 720am and some days until 7pm -midnight, so my only time I can really set aside is early in the morning! Any help/advice is appreciated!

Replies

• girl_brett
    girl_brett Posts: 166 Member
    Options
    I don't know what is right...but I like to do what I'm in the mood for! I have the Kinect and love using it to workout and I also have some DVD's like 30 day shred, I just did Bob Harper's Kettlebell workout last and I did Tae Bo the night before! I think as long as you're doing something that's the best part!
  • rosebarnalice
    rosebarnalice Posts: 3,488 Member
    Options
    I find I really need a routine so that I have the time blocked out on my calendar and I am less likely to skip it. Right now, I'm alternating workouts during that time (swimming some days; treadmill/weights other days), but the time remains blocked on my calendar every day.

And depending on what you're doing in yoga, it can be VERY effective! Just ask the Indian subcontinent where it has been a stape of both physical and spiritual practice for 4000 years!
  • Amandac6772
    Amandac6772 Posts: 1,311 Member
    Options
    I alternate days...Monday, Wednesday, Friday and Sunday are usually straight cardio days with Turbo Fire, Slim in 6 series and/or treadmill time. Tues and Thurs are Turbo Fire HIIT workouts and circuit training like 30 Day Shred. I've recently been trying Jillian Michaels No More Trouble Zones and like it for a longer circuit training workout. The main thing is do things you like to do and you are more likely to do them.
  • Amb1976
    Amb1976 Posts: 241 Member
    Options
    i do power 90 and the elliptical (resistance 1-10 two min ea and back down) for 45 min or am on the elliptical for 45 min @ a resistance of 5....i like to mix in some zumba (on the wii) just for fun...i also have 30 DS but havent used it since getting power 90...i alternate days so every other day is cardio alone...the days i do power 90 are the days i will do sculpting...
  • OLP76
    OLP76 Posts: 768 Member
    Options
    6 days a week of Power90. It alternates, Cardio one day, Weights the other. I love the routine. 3&4 cicruit still kicks my butt today :)
  • Tracey1234
    Tracey1234 Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    I am currently doing the P90X Lean Program 6 days a week. These workouts sure make feel real good....and sore. It is well worth it though.
  • Tracey1234
    Tracey1234 Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    I am currently doing the P90X Lean Program 6 days a week. These workouts sure make feel real good....and sore. It is well worth it though.
  • LMac423
    Options
    Mon, Weds - 7mi - 9mi run
    Tues. Thurs - Swim 40 mins, spin class 45 minutes
    Fri- Yoga + Ab Ripper X
    Sat- 12mi+ run and lift legs
    Sun- Swim 40 mins, spin class 1 hr, run 1 hr, lift 30 mins

I'm a runner & a triathlete and I'm always training for races so my schedule is a little different than just working out to lose weight but it rocks! =)
    Good luck!