Food Allergy Question

Options
This one's for my 10 yr old son actually..... To make a long story short he has a lot of food allergies..Anaphylactic, since birth... All Dairy, Nuts,Egg products, Coconut, Birch Oak and Maple Trees, and animals. We carry an Epi-pen but never had to use it..(Benadryl always does the trick when we see the first signs of Hives or trouble breathing) Anyways....He pretty much lives off of Soy Milk and Soy products.

Recently he was diagnosed with Chrohn's disease and the pictures from the procedure showed a LOT of inflammation as well as ulcers.... the GI also said some foods could actually irritate the ulcers or cause more inflammation..even if he is not having a physical reaction such as the hives..he could be having a reaction in his stomach and stuff... ( we have always given him foods even if it showed Whey, Milk protein or Milk derivitaves..because he never seemed to break out..little did we know we would doing more harm than good in his belly)

We went to the Allergist a few weeks ago... and had a scratch test done and updated bloodwork to see if he outgrew any allergies ( the last test was five years ago) So we were keeping our fingers crossed.... but unfortunately that backfired on us a little.. Not only is he still highly allergic to the above..but also has a Wheat and Soy allergy??? Two things he has been living off of all his life. Now my question is... what CAN the poor kid have???

I have heard of Rice Dream as a milk substitute but don't know much about it.... most people are either allergic to soy or milk....bot both? The allergist is working with the GI and will call us on Tuesday about maybe setting up a Nutritionist to see us..... but I thought I'd ask here too to see if anyone had any info or experienced something similar.. I appreciate it! Thanks!

Replies

• LML79
    LML79 Posts: 697
    Options
    This one's for my 10 yr old son actually..... To make a long story short he has a lot of food allergies..Anaphylactic, since birth... All Dairy, Nuts,Egg products, Coconut, Birch Oak and Maple Trees, and animals. We carry an Epi-pen but never had to use it..(Benadryl always does the trick when we see the first signs of Hives or trouble breathing) Anyways....He pretty much lives off of Soy Milk and Soy products.

Recently he was diagnosed with Chrohn's disease and the pictures from the procedure showed a LOT of inflammation as well as ulcers.... the GI also said some foods could actually irritate the ulcers or cause more inflammation..even if he is not having a physical reaction such as the hives..he could be having a reaction in his stomach and stuff... ( we have always given him foods even if it showed Whey, Milk protein or Milk derivitaves..because he never seemed to break out..little did we know we would doing more harm than good in his belly)

We went to the Allergist a few weeks ago... and had a scratch test done and updated bloodwork to see if he outgrew any allergies ( the last test was five years ago) So we were keeping our fingers crossed.... but unfortunately that backfired on us a little.. Not only is he still highly allergic to the above..but also has a Wheat and Soy allergy??? Two things he has been living off of all his life. Now my question is... what CAN the poor kid have???

I have heard of Rice Dream as a milk substitute but don't know much about it.... most people are either allergic to soy or milk....bot both? The allergist is working with the GI and will call us on Tuesday about maybe setting up a Nutritionist to see us..... but I thought I'd ask here too to see if anyone had any info or experienced something similar.. I appreciate it! Thanks!
  • mechanicmom
    mechanicmom Posts: 5,695 Member
    Options
    My son can't have wheat (gluten) or any dairy(casein). It's not just milk and bread he can't have. Gluten and casein are in a WHOLE bunch of things, so it has been rather difficult. He may be allergic to some other things but we haven't had him in for testing yet. I am also sensitive to wheat and I am lactose intolerant. I have had the rice milk before and it's not too bad. It has the consistency of 2 percent. My son took to it very easily when we took him off of regular milk. 2-3 glasses a day also gives him the calium he needs if I get the enriched kind. I can see if I have a couple of recipes for you if you like. There are some books out there that deal with food allergies that might help and have ideas for you for meals. It will help a lot to have a nutritionist come out to see you. You can get a lot of things at health food stores, which you may already know, though it can get kind of pricey. You can substitute ground flax seed mixed with water for eggs, or I use applesauce in bread recipes some times.
    I just changed my son's diet a couple of months ago so I am rather new at it. I'll see what recipes I can find for you and I will send you a message. I hope this helps. If you have any questions or need to talk just send me a message!
    Melissa:flowerforyou:
  • LML79
    LML79 Posts: 697
    Options
    Thanks! Yes, I use Applesauce instead of eggs as well..and it works out ok too! It just stinks because we have been doing ok with his allergies for so long....we are used to reading labels... and using soy to substitute for milk for everything...baking, making pancakes, mashed potatoes using his soy milk and artificial butter ..staying away from all dairy and cheese and eggs....and if that one wasn't hard enough to do .. imagine not being able to use Soy on top of it...which has become a staple food here! Nevermind wheat..which I imagine is in almost everything! Recipes would be great ..thanks!

And yeah I agree..it can get pretty pricey..but when it's all our little ones can eat..you make it happen right! I remember when we first learned about Brandon's allergies... we went to a Whole Foods store...because ten years ago..Soy products were not common like they are now. Now you can go to Stop and Shop or Shaws and find all sorts of stuff.. But Soy will be the hardest thing to cut out right now..I'm not too worried about wheat..we eat wheat bread.. but very easy to just buy white bread..though I bet if I look hard enough I will find wheat is in a lot of things too. But Soy...that was even his formula as a baby..the Prosobee... so it's just what he's lived off of for the last ten and a half years! This will be interesting...and challenging.. Can't wait to see what the nutrionist has in store for us now..lol!!
  • Eve23
    Eve23 Posts: 2,352 Member
    Options
    We have quite a few allergies at our house to. I have found a few sites that might help with some ideas on foods and some nono's. Anyway the one is not totally complete but it might give you some new ideas.

http://www.cookingallergyfree.com/

http://www.foodallergy.org/recipes.html

Hope that helps. Take a look at the library for some good recipes that do not have those things in them.