metabolic resistance???

Options
Okay so heres a bit of my story. I am 35. I have PCOS and a blood disorder that makes it harder for me to loose weight. I lost 50 lbs. then for about a year I havent lost any essentially. Up 2 up 2 down 2 down 2.. Except for Jan when I gained 14 lbs in one month!!!! Dont get me wrong I earned 5 of those lbs but come on.. Now I am at a 30 lbs losss. I should also mention that I workout about 8-10hrs a week and eat a lower carb (30%) diet. I am on Weight watchers and am in my point range of 39 pts.

I had my yrly girly dr appt and told her all about this. and I am going to go to an endocrinologist to look at metabolic resistance with my body.

I guess my question is this. Does anyone have any experience with metabolic resistance? and what can I do until my appt in April? The scale says I am up 4lbs this week and the only "bad" thing I ate was a few pancakes (no butter or syrup). Any suggestions are welcome. Thanks!

Replies

• amycal
    amycal Posts: 646 Member
    Options
    You might look for the book "Ultrametabolism" by Dr. Mark Hyman. He has a website too. This book was highly recommended by a local naturopath my mom sees. He recommends an antiinflammatory diet and eliminating several things that can cause metabolism problems.

I am not sure if he specifically address PCOS but it is worth cehcking out.
  • emjohnson77
    Options
    I also have PCOS and know how hard it can be to lose weight and keep it off. My weight can change as much as 10 lbs in 1 week for no conceivable reason. Have you tried not just following a low carb diet, but a diabetic diet? That is figuring out how many carbs you are allowed per day and spreading them out evenly throughout the day between meals and snacks. The problem is probably from insulin resistance. Metformin can help with that, but following a diabetic diet will also help.
  • becky444
    becky444 Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    Thanks! Just put it on hold at the library.
  • hoyest
    Options
    Becky,
    I have had the same simular issues as you with the metabolic resistance. What my doctor told me to do, other than medicine, was to change up my eating habits and work out schedule. The doc also gave me some ideas on what not to eat regarding the metabolic rates.
  • springfan
    springfan Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    I also have PCOS and hypothyroidism. I met with my endrocronologist last month and she explained PCOS and insulin resistance to me. She recommended that I go on a low Glycemic Index (GI) diet (eat smaller meals every few hours that are lower carb and have protein with every meal), and she also put me on Metformin. I have struggled with my weight for years, and I have lost 30 pounds since my appointment. I am also working out at the gym 5 days a week. I have never felt better! I recommend a book that I read "The New Glucose Revolution Guide to Living Well with PCOS". I wish you the best.
  • becky444
    Options
    For Excercise. I change it up pretty good. I do 3 days of eliptical. 3 days treadmill. Then when it is nice I through in hiking and walking then I do 3 days of weights. I am planning on taking up water arobics or spin class.
  • kcphilly
    Options
    I have hypothyroidism, which took forever to be diagnosed.

While I was waiting, my chiropractor gave me some adrenal support supplements, DSF Formula by Nutri West. While it didn't cure things, it gave me a boost in the middle of all the doctors crap.

It was finally my internist that put me on thyroid medicine after I had to practically beg him to redo the tests and listed out all my symptoms to him. I was still only "borderline" on paper, but try telling that to my body.

So when you see the doctor make sure they take your symptoms into account, and that they don't just brush it off as having to do with your PCOS. I was anemic too at the time of the testing (another doctor battle) and they were all telling me my symptoms were from that cause that and thyroid are similar, but they were not correct.
  • becky444
    Options
    I have had my thyroid tested every year. It is actually doing better now (1.9) than it has 2 yrs ago at (3.8). I believe the guidelines are that it is normal if it is form 1-3. So I should be good there.