Exercise DVD for someone who is VERY overweight..

Options
Can anyone recommend a DVD that will not be too intense for a person who is 125# overweight? I hear everyone talking about that 30 day shcred, but the reviews I have read make it sound like it would not work for a beginner. Any suggestions?

Replies

• mzelienka
    Options
    Try looking at leslie Sansomes walking DVD's. They are pretty good. They have different levels while doing the DVD that you can do.
  • laurasimmons
    laurasimmons Posts: 578 Member
    Options
    I used "The Firm" at the beginning of my journey and I was way overweight.
  • dino1147
    dino1147 Posts: 178 Member
    Options
    Biggest Loser Power Walk definitely! It's easy to do in your living room, very small amount of space needed. I started this morning and loved it! Very low impact, my knees are shot and this was perfect!
  • Mollydolly10
    Mollydolly10 Posts: 431 Member
    Options
    I don't have a specific suggestion unfortunately, but just wanted to note on the 30 Day Shred that I think the reviews are probably right. It is very difficult because it has a lot of jumping up and down, moving from standing to laying to sitting, moving with weights, no weights, and squats which are difficult on the knees for those with extra weight. I just wanted to say that 30 Day Shred would probably NOT be a good first DVD, but it is something you can work up to :) Good luck with your journey!!
  • HOPEful27
    Options
    I am also VERY overweight and I do the 30 Day Shred. The first time I ever did it I was so sore the next day I wanted to die, but after pushing throught it I am now on level 2. There are three levels & two different girls you can follow on each level. One does easier modified versions, you can start with those & work your way into the more difficult. I highly recommend this DVD! It is very intimidating at first, but the feeling you get is so worth it.
  • MelissaL582
    MelissaL582 Posts: 1,422 Member
    Options
    Try the Biggest Loser Power Walk- you can get it at Walmart for $7. It's nothing hardcore but it gets you moving. I use it for more of a cool down after the Biggest Loser Cardio Max.
  • JoinerMaus
    Options
    I am 70 lbs overweight and I really enjoy doing Prevention Fitness Systems Walk Yourself Fit with Chris Freytag. She also has a Drop it in 30 DVD that I enjoy, but I'm using the walking video to work back up to that one.
  • bjshields
    bjshields Posts: 677 Member
    Options
    My Beach Body coach says the Slim in 6 system (approximately $60 for the whole system) is great for beginners. I just bought Fast & Furious Insanity workout by Shaun T (another Beach Body product), and it's so hard, I can't finish the first five minutes! I am a long-time exerciser & weight lifter, even though I've gotten out of shape again in the last few years, but I'm getting it back, and I can see how this intense workout will do the trick, but you have to work up to it. I would say be careful which ones you buy and investigate reviews (especially independent ones) before buying.

Good luck!
  • cahira
    cahira Posts: 163
    Options
    I would recommend the Firm dvds. I've been doing the TransFirmer series, and they always have someone in the back who is modifying exercises for beginners. I'm still (at least) 100 lbs. overweight. I do what I can, and I modify and just keep moving for the rest.
  • FearAnLoathing
    FearAnLoathing Posts: 4,852 Member
    Options
    Try looking at leslie Sansomes walking DVD's. They are pretty good. They have different levels while doing the DVD that you can do.

I would agree with this,I do them and love them they are not very hard and you can just walk through the whole thing if any of the other moves are to challenging
  • Ashley_Panda
    Ashley_Panda Posts: 1,404 Member
    Options
    The power walk one is good. I was doing a 10 minute kick boxing DVD, it's not terribly difficult. Anything with walking. Hell, go walk outside, just get moving. :)
  • MassiveDelta
    MassiveDelta Posts: 3,311 Member
    Options
    When I started I did 30 Day shred. I was 130 lbs over weight and an ex smoker
  • swarcher
    swarcher Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    Oh I'm definitely in this category. I have found that any of the biggest looser videos are great. I have also figured out that any exercise is good even just walking on the treadmill. I find that just being active works.
  • woo2913
    woo2913 Posts: 2
    Options
    Obegone Fitness has the answer. The "Getting Back Into Life" exercise DVD offers 3 - thirty minutes routines designed specifically for a larger body type. It has a very overweight individual on the DVD demonstrating the routines who lost over 40 pounds in 4 months. The routines offer effective strengthening and cardio without placing undo stress on your joints. And the routines were created by a physical therapist. Read one of her blogs: http://obegonefitness.com/blog/Exercise-Tips-For-A-Larger-Body-Type.html