For Ladies....Is is true or just an excuse??

Options

Replies

• robin52077
    robin52077 Posts: 4,383 Member
    Options
    interestingly...i was discussing this was a gastroenterologist recently who explained that it isn't water retention but that food digests slower and fills up the intestines. nice! Anyway, that's the reason for the majority of 'period cramps' (although not all) and why bellies bloat and weight is gained.

So, what your saying is...

When I'm moody and being a b!tch about something, and DH says "You're full of *kitten*" He's actually right?

LMAO
  • JennLifts
    JennLifts Posts: 1,913 Member
    Options
    Depends on the person! I used to when I was over weight. Now.. not one bit.
  • Cherrycandy
    Options
    http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/water-retention/WO00130

Yep, it's true. Your hormones screw that part of your body up just like they do your emotions and appetite during "that" time. I can tell that I do, because it happens without fail....I wake up the 1st day of my "visitor" with swollen, tight fingers.
  • jen31889
    jen31889 Posts: 121
    Options
    I seem to gain just before and lose during.
  • Ms_Natalie
    Ms_Natalie Posts: 1,030 Member
    Options
    I have gained 7lbs during TOM in the past! Crazy!

But I think it's different for everyone...and I never use it as an excuse to overeat, although I do crave choccies more during this time.
  • Jaedynmoon
    Jaedynmoon Posts: 280 Member
    Options
    I know, personally, for me it doesn't effect me. Yes, I get hungrier a bit but I stay on track by eating right and exercising. I lose weight weekly, even those weeks I'm on my period, so for me I choose to not let being on my period effect me.
  • LisaZaugg1976
    LisaZaugg1976 Posts: 1,144 Member
    Options
    I stay the same usually during mine.
  • That_Girl
    That_Girl Posts: 1,324 Member
    Options
    I go up anywhere from 3 to 7 pounds even when watching what I eat.

Every person is different. We can't say it's excuses or not. I don't like the PMS card being pulled, but I can't help if I gain weight during my period. Who cares. It comes off by the end of the week.
  • That_Girl
    Options
    interestingly...i was discussing this was a gastroenterologist recently who explained that it isn't water retention but that food digests slower and fills up the intestines. nice! Anyway, that's the reason for the majority of 'period cramps' (although not all) and why bellies bloat and weight is gained.

Well, in my case, my horrible cramps were from a tumor, not poop :laugh: I also got outrageous cramps for years until they scraped all the Endometriosis lesions off my intestines and bladder.

My weight gain was water retention...I could feel the puffiness in my face, hands and belly.

Every person is different.
  • BigBoneSista
    BigBoneSista Posts: 2,389 Member
    Options
    Before I started exercising I use to always feel like I was hungry, but I realized that I would be so tired that I didn't eat solid meals like I should have. By the time I was ready to eat I would eat the wrong foods and a lot of them.

I know longer have that issue. I treat everyday the same even if I'm "on".
  • valeriebpdx
    valeriebpdx Posts: 499 Member
    Options
    It is true for me. I need a bigger bra for a week before my period, and if I feel like I am doing everything right and not losing weight, I check the calendar and lo and behold, AF is looming. I am always 1-1.5 lb lighter after than before.

BTW, being hungrier or having food cravings is not all in your mind either. There is a hike in metabolism during the luteal (PMS) phase. I have seen it in nutrition texts estimated at 200-300 cals per day.
  • reneelee
    reneelee Posts: 877 Member
    Options
    Ladies--do you think that it is true that we really retain water weight during our periods? Sometimes I wonder if we make all kinds of excuses during that time to eat more / feel ok about the scale going up, etc. I started this morning. (sorry if TMI) and I also got on the scale this morning expecting to see at least a LITTLE bit of a loss. I was EXACTLY the same. Do you think it could be water weight REALLY??:huh:
    Do you look like the bed sheet in the morning? If you answered yes you are retaining water.
  • Oishii
    Oishii Posts: 2,675 Member
    Options
    My weight drops the day aunt flo leaves town, sometimes dramatically, so I have no doubts that, for me,TOM weight can't possibly be simply over-eating.
  • That_Girl
    Options
    My weight drops the day aunt flo leaves town, sometimes dramatically, so I have no doubts that, for me,TOM weight can't possibly be simply over-eating.

One time, I started WW during my period and the next week I was down 9 pounds. :smile: They were impressed. I didn't tell them I was on my period the week before :laugh: I was just the girl who lost 9 pounds in a week HA!
  • ace175
    ace175 Posts: 518 Member
    Options
    sometimes it happens to me, sometimes it doesn't (just started few days ago and I have stayed the same weight).... only thing that happens for me is cramps, back pain, and no motivation. uuuughh !
  • 1horseygirl1
    1horseygirl1 Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    I find that I crave salt a day before so that may contribute to the water retention. It definitely goes down after though. (thank goodness)
  • tslocum2001
    Options
    It is definitely true. Not sure if it is water or not, but I go up at least 5 about 2 days prior then by the time its done, I lose like magic. Tend to not let it bug me anymore. Just keep your exercise and diet where it is any other time of the month, but honestly I am not even as hungry then. My stomach just feels full.
  • carollane
    carollane Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    yep it is very true!!! But the good thing about it is that it is mostly water weight. So as long as you stick to your diet during that time of the month, that water weight will go as fast as it came!:flowerforyou:
  • yodacho
    yodacho Posts: 90 Member
    Options

That explains a lot!
  • jerseyshorenurse
    jerseyshorenurse Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    I find I retain a little water regardless...pretty negligible though...but I retain A LOT of water if I let the moody-tired-cranky PMS phase give me an EXCUSE to skip the workout and cave in to that craving for pizza...or potato chips...or whatever. Then, I'm bloated and miserable and I asked for it! Best bet, don't cut corners on my usual routine and keep the diet balanced, and I'm a lot less miserable...with all of it!