Type 1 Diabetics!

Options
Hi everyone! Any other type 1 diabetics out there trying to get healthy and lose weight?!?! Any tips/ suggestions on losing the weight?

Replies

• LIKEOMGSTFUBFF
    Options
    Hi. I am! How long have you been type 1? I was diagnosed at age 12. I am 27 now. Are you on the pump? I am on Lantus and Humalog, and slowly getting into taking symlin. It seems to really curb my appetite.
  • carolyne2
    Options
    Hi, I'm type 2 but only a hair strand away from insulin. I have been told to cut my sugar grams down to what MFP recommended and also the fat grams. Has your nurse given you any suggestions as to what your intake should be? Good luck.
  • ct1986
    ct1986 Posts: 200
    Options
    There are several of us around here actually. I'm 24 and use the Omnipod pump with Novolog. As for suggestions just be ready for the ups and downs. Working with my endo to adjust insulin quite frequently has helped. (She's actually given me basic guidelines and told me I can adjust it myself as I loose weight/increase exercise.) Of course slow and steady is best and making sure you're eating well balanced meals.
  • amccrazgrl
    amccrazgrl Posts: 315 Member
    Options
    Hi. I am! How long have you been type 1? I was diagnosed at age 12. I am 27 now.
    That much is me. I use th Animas Ping pump though. A word of advice if you have a low bs and it makes you go over your calories try not to worry. I have problems with that some days. Good news the past 4 monthson here I take less meal bolus and have adjusted my basal too.
  • LIKEOMGSTFUBFF
    Options
    I had the pump for a couple years in high school and i couldnt stand it.. i think i am about the only person i have heard say that about the insulin pump though. Everyone seems to just love it. I have cut down to 6 units of lantus in the morning and 6 at night, so im slowly adjusting. 3 years ago I was 25 lbs heavier and i was on 20u of Lantus in the morning and 20u at night.
  • amccrazgrl
    Options
    I have been pumping come up on 6 years. My endo suggested trying it and I was like sure why not. I had good control without the pump and good control now. I don't love or hate my pump most of the time. I like the fact the pump tells you how much insulin you have left going trough your body from your last bolus which can be helpful when your having a low bs.

Which pump did you have? I used the Cozmo prior to Ping. What didn't you like about?
  • ilana26
    Options
    I have been type 1 for about 7 years.. until last may i was doing insulin injections- used pretty much everything from humolog and humilin n to lantus to novolog.. finally got on the pump- chose the omnipod because it is adhesive and pretty inconspicuous. the difference in control has been pretty remarkable.

since the middle of december i have been trying to lose weight.. so far 11 lbs, 5 since using myfitnesspal. type 1 has made it hard, especially when i have to eat due to lows after working out all the time. but ive been meeting with a diabetic dietician and I am constantly playing with my basal doses and have stopped having lows in the middle of the nights! :) i have come up with a great meal plan for my self, stopped going out to eat all the time, and workout at least an hour everyday. still the pounds come off so slowly.. frustrating but i guess i will just have to be patient and stay positive.

How quickly have you all been losing weight? Do you find that the less insulin you need to take, the more weight you lose?
  • LIKEOMGSTFUBFF
    Options
    Oh i find it much easier to lose on lower amounts of insulin.. so the less amount of carbs i eat, the lower amounts of insulin i have to take.. then i start seeing results. I work out everyday also. Have you guys ever wondered if you didnt have to take insulin and worry about highs and lows with dieting and exercise, how skinny you would be? hehe. I think about it all the time. And i seem to carry most of my weight in my belly. I'm sure its a genetic thing, but have often wondered if the insulin had a big part of it.

Like i said,I had the pump back in h.s, almost 10 years ago.. So, the pump i had back then was big and bulky and the tube would always get wrapped around me while i was sleeping or pulled out of my body as the worst times. I would pull it out in my sleep and wake up with my blood sugar at 400. And i always smelled like a hospital from the insulin leaking out of the site. I had to beg my endo to let me go back to bottle and syringes. My AIC went down so much when i went off the pump. It just didnt work for me. I was also very active in high school though. I was always on the go and the pump was just always in the way. It drove me crazy. BUT that is just my personal opinion.. and i know the pumps have changed alot in ten years.
  • ct1986
    ct1986 Posts: 200
    Options
    doddce- Nope, you are not alone in disliking the pump. When I originally went on it I was in high school/middle school (don't remember exactly) but ended up going off of it because of several of the things you mentioned along with pump failures. I had the Medtronic Paradigm at the time and went back to Lantus/Novolog.

When I got to college the pump became more realistic with constant schedule changes, late nights, etc. I also started getting really bad overnight lows (30s) about 3am every night that we couldn't get figured out no matter how much we adjusted the Lantus, etc. I went back onto the Paradigm. It seemed to work out better but the tubing and finding a place was annoying. I finally switched to the Ominpod about a year ago and I like it for the most part.

I agree about the less insulin you take the easier to lose the weight but it's always that careful balancing act....
  • atomiclauren
    atomiclauren Posts: 689 Member
    Options
    Type 1 here - diagnosed just shy of 10 years old and I'm almost 31, so about 21 years!
  • atomiclauren
    atomiclauren Posts: 689 Member
    Options
    Oh yeah - tips...
    What has really worked for me is limiting my carb intake - less chance for insulin to not meet targets and like others have mentioned, less insulin sometimes seems to help in weight loss (or maybe it's the lack of carbs or both).

I'm using Novolog and Levemir (MDI) and am waaaaay overdue for a trip to the doctor - I used to see a NP I really liked and didn't bother with an endocrinologist, but she left and I need to find a new place - going to try one specifically for diabetics, so we'll see.

Crossing my fingers that I have made it in to the 5 club with my A1C this time around..
  • amccrazgrl
    Options
    . And i seem to carry most of my weight in my belly. I'm sure its a genetic thing, but have often wondered if the insulin had a big part of it

That is where my fat is too. I don't have big boobs and I have a little big butt.