Weight loss supplements

Options
Hello from Kansas! I was just curious as to if anyone is on some sort of weight loss supplement or matabolism booster as well as their diet and exercise? I have a friend who is eating better, walking on the treadmill, and doing the insanity part of p90x and he started to lose weight but then he just dropped weight and he said he was trying OxyLITE pro, it's a metabolism booster type thing...I didn't know what you guys' thoughts were. I'm thinking about trying it because I only have to lose maybe 40 lbs but I'm on slim fast and I know that isn't the healthiest for me. Anyone have some tips for me?
~Jessi~

Replies

• carolyne2
    Options
    Hi, Sorry, but I don't think that sort of thing is usefull in the long run. Loosing the weight has to be a learing curve of how to eat and live a healthier lifestyle, and the only way that is going to happen is to eat real food in a sensible way. Personaly I would stay away from them and adjust your diet to include lots of vegetables, fruit and lean meats and fish. If the portion size is right you won't have much go wrong. Good luck.
  • kimmerroze
    kimmerroze Posts: 1,330 Member
    Options
    my advice, would be to do it naturally, when you go on something to help you lose weight, and then go off of it once you lose the wieght, your body will most likely gain it back. plus very few weight loss supplements actually work, they are a waste of money.

just remember slow and steady wins the race,

However if you must try something, I would try green tea pills, they are more natural than most. they will help speed up your metabolism just a tad, but the most important thing is they give you energy so you still have energy to work out after your long day.

but again I say to just do it naturally!
  • meggonkgonk
    meggonkgonk Posts: 2,066 Member
    Options
    Generally metabolism boosters are filled with caffiene in high, borderline safe doses. They may help you lose weight, but they will make it difficult for you to keep off unless you continue taking it forever and you may be making long term health risks.
  • Cherrycandy
    Options
    I went on the diet drug phendimetrazine and it gave me horrible headaches and made my heart feel like it was going to jump out of my chest. I havent tried anything else, I think the healthiest way is to just cut your calories and get some exercise. Most meds/diet aids arent meant to use forever anyway, and so you really cant count on em for a lifelong healthy weight. Thats how im gonna try it anyway.
  • spgabby86
    spgabby86 Posts: 323 Member
    Options
    I agree with everyone else...you will probably lose the weight quickly, but is that really the change you want? For me this journey is all about my lifestyle. How can I eat the things I enjoy and lose weight and then keep the weight off.

It's more important to me to take the time its going to require to lose it, and then find a way to maintain it. I have High Blood pressure so I know it is very important to stay away from those (diet supplements). I do take things like a multi vit, Vit B, CLA, Omega 3/6/9 Oil and things of that sort but those are things I can take for a life time and don't containe the caffine found in all those diet pills.

My advice is find a way to enjoy the weight loss journey. It may take longer but at the end of the day you have a better chance of "KEEPING" it off.

I want to LOOK GOOD for the rest of my life, but more importantly I want to be HEALTHY for the rest of my life.
  • jewelzz
    jewelzz Posts: 326 Member
    Options
    Yes I do take a fat burner before my workouts.I like it and my workouts are so much better.
  • sbwood888
    sbwood888 Posts: 953 Member
    Options
    Be prepared--you will get LOTS of BOO HISS comments from people here. I started the OxyElite Pro 4 days ago. I will see what happens.
  • curvykent
    curvykent Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    Yes I do take a fat burner before my workouts.I like it and my workouts are so much better.

What is it called? My friend works as a product developer for a fitness company and gave me some carb and fat burners but I've hesitated to try them because I've never heard anything about it.
  • givprayz
    givprayz Posts: 328
    Options
    I took an ephedra containing product about 8 years ago, and now I will take a medication for the rest of my life to control my heart rate. At the time, ephedra was considered safe, but it wasn't and it was eventually banned. It worked to boost my metabolism, but the cost is too great. I reccomend staying away from anything that says it can boost your metabolism because there is a reason your metabolism is set where it is. Boost it with good foods and lots of activity, and skip the drugs.
  • sbwood888
    Options
    I took an ephedra containing product about 8 years ago, and now I will take a medication for the rest of my life to control my heart rate. At the time, ephedra was considered safe, but it wasn't and it was eventually banned. It worked to boost my metabolism, but the cost is too great. I reccomend staying away from anything that says it can boost your metabolism because there is a reason your metabolism is set where it is. Boost it with good foods and lots of activity, and skip the drugs.

Wow----ummmm. This is definitely something to give pause.....
  • meggonkgonk
    meggonkgonk Posts: 2,066 Member
    Options
    Be prepared--you will get LOTS of BOO HISS comments from people here. I started the OxyElite Pro 4 days ago. I will see what happens.

I think a lot of people have posted their "Nay" votes in a balanced and even manner citing personal experience and basic facts. No one has heckled or otherwise been mean, for the most part tho, those of us who have been sucessful on our weightloss journeys feel that chemical enhancements are in direct opposition to the concept of a healthy life style- it's a quick fix to a long term problem and will likely have negative effects.

She asked for opinions. We've given them. No need to start an argument.
  • Je21mp3
    Options
    Hey anyone on the OxyLITE pro let me know how it goes. No I don't think it's the healthiest way to go but I need a metabolism boost. I inherited a crappy matabolism...I do I give it a kick start without taking supplements?
  • Je21mp3
    Options
    I love all the comments...good and bad, the different perspectives make me really stop and think. I don't think that I'm going to get any supplements and they are very expensive. I don't have that kind of money. But hey I just joined last week. If you wanna by my friend, I'll support you and you can help support me, give me a holla :tongue:
  • kimmerroze
    kimmerroze Posts: 1,330 Member
    Options
    Hey anyone on the OxyLITE pro let me know how it goes. No I don't think it's the healthiest way to go but I need a metabolism boost. I inherited a crappy matabolism...I do I give it a kick start without taking supplements?

Your metabolism will naturally boost once you start reprogramming your body to eat healthily and exercise, the number one killer of metabolism is eating unhealthily. Haven't you ever noticed that once you have started working out you feel more energetic?? well that is your metabolism naturally boosting.

Building muscle is another way to naturally boost how many calories you burn, more muscle means easier caloric burn!

So I think the best way to boost that metabolism (trust me I was born with a sucky one too) is to get to the gym. Figure out how to make it fun for you.

And remember, very few people were born with an extremely high metabolism to the point that they can eat whatever they want and not gain weight. That is not normal, its lucky, but not normal. And guess what, one day their metabolism will crash and they will be used to eating crappy and therefore will gain weight.

Consider yourself lucky that you have a slower metabolism now, it makes you more aware of what your body needs now rather than rebelling on you later in life when it will be harder to lose that weight.

and it may just be my opinion, but I think you will find that you don't have an abnormally slow metabolism once you start eating correctly and exercising. =) I know that mine isn't nearly as slow as it used to be when I was eating crap all the time.
  • sbwood888
    Options

I think a lot of people have posted their "Nay" votes in a balanced and even manner citing personal experience and basic facts. No one has heckled or otherwise been mean, for the most part tho, those of us who have been sucessful on our weightloss journeys feel that chemical enhancements are in direct opposition to the concept of a healthy life style- it's a quick fix to a long term problem and will likely have negative effects.

She asked for opinions. We've given them. No need to start an argument.

Wow. You think this is trying to start an argument? Geez. Whatever. Have a great day.
  • unknownndoll
    unknownndoll Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    I like OEP, It works well for me as a good appitie suppresent and gives me really good energy (not like caffine type ones, for me those do nothing, i get enough coffee and green tea in my life, LOL) If you google it and look it up on gnc the reviews are generally positive, the best I have seen so far. The only the negative ones seem to be people sensitive to stimulants- that i am not. Its kind of a feel good type pill too, something in it that helps with focus, concentration, etc.
  • NeeshiaA
    Options
    I've been taking OxyElite Pro for the last 4 days and so far I haven't felt any negative side effects that normally come with diet pills. I do find I have more energy and the appetite suppressant works because I've been able to cut what I would normally eat in half and I don't feel like I'm starving myself. I also like that I only have to take 1 pill a day unlike most diet pills were you usually have to take 6 a day.

I too need the metabolism boost and this has helped me to get started and really push myself though my workouts. I'm not expecting this to be a miracle pill just to help along with proper diet and exercise.