Heart Rate Monitors- Poll

Options
2»

Replies

• houlee
    houlee Posts: 60
    Options
    I have a Garmin 405CX with a chest strap, and I love it. It was my Christmas "from me to me" present so I was okay with spending more money on it than I normally would. And I do like the Garmin website, with the calendar that tells me how many miles I logged for the week, and how much time I exercised, etc etc. But I freely admit that I spent a lot of money on a watch that has MANY features that I don't need or that I haven't figured out how to use.
  • abtropix
    abtropix Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    Polar FT7 - love it! Got it at Sports Authority with $20 off coupon for about $89
  • mkingraham
    mkingraham Posts: 445 Member
    Options
    Polar FT60- I am in love! It does more then I really need but my mother in law got it for me as an xmas gift and got me an upgraded version. I definitely recommend Polar as the brand!
  • Chuck1963
    Chuck1963 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Polar F11. Works great.
  • pyroxian
    Options
    Polar FT60 - LOVE it.
    Stepped up to this model over the FT40 or lower when I killed my old F55 (by smashing it on some rocks kayaking) precisely because I _CAN_ add a GPS to it (or a foot pod or a bicycle speed sensor) at a later date.
  • tabbychiro
    tabbychiro Posts: 223 Member
    Options
    I have the Garmin Forerunner 305 (older model & fairly affordable now), which I love. However, it uses distance & time to calculate calories burned instead of heart rate so it doesn't calculate calories for indoor workouts. I got a New Leaf metabolic assessment done and that gave me a profile I uploaded to my 305 and I think it now uses HR for calorie calculations. If you run outdoors, the Garmin Forerunner is a great tool. There are a variety of sites where you can upload Garmin data if you want to keep a log online.

But it is BIG, too big for gym workouts for me. So I recently got the Polar FT7 for the gym. It's OK, gives me the basic info I wanted. I was able to get a FlowLink for free when I got it and I do like being able to upload my workouts online and seeing the data that way.
  • lizard9800
    lizard9800 Posts: 474 Member
    Options
    Polar F11. I got it over 3 years ago when there weren't as many models available. I love it, but it has a lot of features that I don't use. I recommended my husband get a Polar F4, or there are some decent looking Timex ones on Amazon for half of what I paid.
  • nickscutie
    nickscutie Posts: 303 Member
    Options
    My husband has the Polar FT60 and is loving it.
  • mistawalka
    mistawalka Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    Polar FT4 - love it - would I recommend it? Yes if you want all the basic functions but get one of the more advance models if you want some of the extras Polar offer.
  • TrainerRobin
    TrainerRobin Posts: 509 Member
    Options
    Just to add to this, if you already have a standard HRM without GPS, if you have a smart phone (iPhone or Android or whatever) there are apps available to install on your phone to do pretty much the same thing,

Indeed. My favorite app for this (Android) is CardioTrainer. And they now have the capability of actually syncing with a heart strap now, too (but I haven't used that approach). When I don't have my GPS watch, I'll use my regular basic HRM and my smart phone Cardio Trainer app (but it's so much nicer to not have to use two gadgets!).
  • rvice2
    rvice2 Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    ANY of the Polar watches are great! I have had a polar f7 for 3 years and LOVE it!
  • TrainerRobin
    TrainerRobin Posts: 509 Member
    Options
    Polar FT60 - LOVE it.
    Stepped up to this model over the FT40 or lower when I killed my old F55 (by smashing it on some rocks kayaking) precisely because I _CAN_ add a GPS to it (or a foot pod or a bicycle speed sensor) at a later date.

That's good to know about. I googled it and it looks like you add another gadget for $139.99 to allow you to have the GPS function. So glad to see that Polar is getting on the GPS bandwagon. We need more competition in that market to drive down prices and encourage innovation. $399 for a Garmin 310XT is just too high for the masses but the benefits of GPS HRMs are so inspiring and encouraging!

Thanks for sharing!!