praise to the heart rate monitors!

Options
PedalHound
PedalHound Posts: 1,625 Member
Thanks for the input yesterday on monitors. I bought a polar f4 today and gave it a spin. I walked for an hour hovering just under 70% max HR and burned 584 cals!!!! I never would have thought brisk walking would be THAT many calories!! WOW! Talk about motivating :laugh:

Replies

• PedalHound
    Options
    Thanks for the input yesterday on monitors. I bought a polar f4 today and gave it a spin. I walked for an hour hovering just under 70% max HR and burned 584 cals!!!! I never would have thought brisk walking would be THAT many calories!! WOW! Talk about motivating :laugh:
  • ohthatbambi
    ohthatbambi Posts: 1,098 Member
    Options
    It is motivating! I love, love, love my F6. I look down and see that number and it makes me want to keep on moving!!
  • gabrielled
    gabrielled Posts: 247 Member
    Options
    Mark me down as LOVIN' my f6. What I really love is when the elliptical calorie count says 550 calories and my f6 says 600!!!
  • tracypaprocki
    Options
    i love mine too but mine says I burn less than the machines:cry:
  • gabrielled
    Options
    Is everything set correctly? Your age, weight, etc? Have you updated it lately? Do you do the "own zone" setting? That's a real bummer. I actually hit my calorie burn goal, according to my hrm, way before the machine says I do. I listen to the hrm. Sorry. :cry:
  • SGFlyinHi
    SGFlyinHi Posts: 469 Member
    Options
    My HRM always shows less calories burned than the machine does. I trust it more than what the machine says.
  • andrealmt
    andrealmt Posts: 8
    Options
    how much do they cost and where do you get them?
  • gabrielled
    Options
    I bought mine online from Amazon. You can look at polar's at www.polarusa.com
  • overthehillsandfaraway
    Options
    this is most interesting.

what is a good brand people recommend?
  • Justinstrong
    Options
    For the polar's does the HRM come with the chest strap or do you have to buy them separate? Could someone link one I'm having trouble finding both of them together :P
  • gabrielled
    Options
    The polar F6 comes with the strap!
  • TNTPete
    TNTPete Posts: 701 Member
    Options
    Is it just me about the HRM? I think it would make me more obsessive then I already feel I am getting with this site!! I dunno if I want to get one or not. I definitely don't want a strap around my chest while I am working out --- does anyone have one that works as effectively without that??
  • AlbertSchwartz
    Options
    i love mine too but mine says I burn less than the machines:cry:

My F11 does that too. I just train longer now... lol
  • AlbertSchwartz
    Options
    Is it just me about the HRM? I think it would make me more obsessive then I already feel I am getting with this site!! I dunno if I want to get one or not. I definitely don't want a strap around my chest while I am working out --- does anyone have one that works as effectively without that??

I think but am not 100% the Polar F4 is strapless
  • iluvsparkles
    iluvsparkles Posts: 1,730 Member
    Options
    i read that with the polar you have to send it off to get the battery changed. has anyone had to do this? how much does it cost?

i have the highgear pulsewear duo which has been working great, but has recently started acting quirky. Let me know if you guys know of another reputable brand that lets you change the batteries yourself?
  • psuastro97
    psuastro97 Posts: 125
    Options
    i love my poar - thin i have the F6 - with chest strap.

the watch battery you can change yourself, but you may mess up the waterproff seal. the chest strap you have to send back top polar. think that is pretty expensive. it is just a tad cheaper than buying a new one!

however, i have had mine for a while (gojng on 1.5 years) and have not had to change either yet - and i use it almost daily. i thinkt he chest strap is supossed to last at least 3 years...and the watch battery usually goes first.

LOVE my polar watch - it is definitely more reliable than the machines! and i like the self fit test. i take it every now and again and it is nice to see how i improve (based on the max/min calculation changes each time!)
  • PedalHound
    Options

The F4 has a strap too. I was weary about it but I honestly don't feel it. And Justin, the straps come with. I've upgraded to an F6 and totally worth it!
  • Carrie6o6
    Carrie6o6 Posts: 1,443 Member
    Options
    oh oh oh!! I just bought the F4 Yesterday online.. so am waiting for it!! but do you really trust what it says? is it reliable?
  • jakspak
    jakspak Posts: 260 Member
    Options
    ok this sucks i want one but cant afford it right now bugger might have to check out tm (nz ebay type thing) might get lucky and pick it up cheap as mmmm

:wink: unless someone is upgrading and wants to send me their old one :laugh: :wink: :love: