Patience is not my best quality!

Options
Arrrghh...this week my patience(or lack of it) has really been testing me! Why is it that I feel like I need to do this so fast? I know it's not the healthiest way to do it, but I stay on track so much better if I see those scales moving faster. Usually, I can talk myself down from this mentality, but I think because I know I have a Caribbean vacation coming up, I want it all now! Ugh...I know what I want by that trip and what I can logically achieve are not the same, but I can't seem to get myself to be okay with the great progress I will have made, even if the pounds don't come off as fast as I want! Any words of wisdom?

Replies

• MsFitnFabulous
    MsFitnFabulous Posts: 432 Member
    Options
    Sure you can do a fad diet to drop the pounds fast. Think about it though, in the long run is that helping or harming you? Making lifestyle changes is hard and takes effort. I know that you want to go on vacation much thinner and look great, but what about when you get there? Are you going to eat crappy or healthy? Then what about when you get back? Better for you to be on the path to greatness than on one littered with stumbling blocks where you have to keep starting over time and time again.
  • missie21
    missie21 Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    I kind of feel the same way....i wish I could just wave my magic wand and all the weight will be off or if i can fast forward to 3 months from now. I think that any progress is great progress and it looks like you have been doing a great job with staying on track with the weight you have already lost. The one thing i try to remember is it did not take a couple of days for me to get the weight so it will take some time to get it off.

If you don't mind me asking when is your vacation?
  • dmb0174
    Options
    Oh how I wish I had some words of wisdom... then I would share them with myself! :) I agree, it is so much easier to stay motivated when you see results on the scale but unfortunately that doesn't always happen for me.

Good luck!!! Hang in there and just remember you didn't put the weight on over night and it won't come off that way either... at least that is what I always tell myself! ;)
  • loseit4ever
    loseit4ever Posts: 187 Member
    Options
    @missie21...We leave on the 17th of March. One month to go! I know I still have some time, so I am trying to focus on that and just keep working out hard, and eating right. The crazy thing is, it's not like I didn't know this was coming! I waited too long to get a good head start...it was always, "I'll start tomorrow." So, it's really my own fault. It's just so hard to be patient all the time! I am trying to do it right, though. I also plan to maintain working out and eating right while on vacation. Why work so hard and then ruin it all in a few days, right?
  • alienblonde1
    alienblonde1 Posts: 749 Member
    Options
    Better for you to be on the path to greatness than on one littered with stumbling blocks where you have to keep starting over time and time again.

Wow and that is soo true
  • anubis609
    anubis609 Posts: 3,966 Member
    Options
    This is why life and I get along so well. As unfair as it may seem, it actually is fair, overall. There's a trade-off with big goals. Larger life goals necessitate larger life requirements, such as patience. Just as you won't magically gain a magic bag of patience, you won't magically lose a tremendous amount of weight all at once.

Life's way of testing determination is to test the patience to endure. If life gave you everything you've always wanted, it will ask for it back, one way or another. Challenges beget the opportunity for success. The more successful you become, the greater the burden of carrying that success to its limit.

One way to reduce the large stress of a huge challenge (i.e. slowed weight loss) is to take it on in smaller chunks at a time. Reduce a large goal into smaller sub-goals. Those are easier to look at and believe the attainability to arrive at them. Another example is that you're going to the Caribbean in the near future. To get to that date, you have to go through a certain amount of days first. It's not happening immediately, and neither will weight loss.

I'm an advocate of testing patience in any way, shape, or form. My own included. It's my defiant and rebellious nature to find a way out of impatience and find a feasible method to handle it, along with gaining patience in the process. So, I'm not going to tell you to relax and let it happen or that it's going to get better, instead I'll tell you to use that impatience towards something productive. Dramatically increase the intensity of your workout routines. Include a workout you've never done before. Innovate a way to create a completely and insanely gratifying meal that's less than 300 calories. Do something where you can channel and harness that frustration. Put your aggression into positive actions. Or negative if that makes you feel better. Just do something. Life will find a way to balance it out in the end. That is the only guarantee I could ever make about anything.
  • ejsmith7
    ejsmith7 Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    A lot can change in a month!! You have been doing the 30DS, so you have been lifting some weights & those squats, lunges & chunches are giving your muscles a workout too. Keep with it, let Jillian kick your butt for the next month & give you her your all and you will see a difference in a month...trust me. Take some pics of yourself today and then right before your vaca so you can see the changes... you are doing awesome!!
  • dlaplume2
    dlaplume2 Posts: 1,658 Member
    Options
    This is why life and I get along so well. As unfair as it may seem, it actually is fair, overall. There's a trade-off with big goals. Larger life goals necessitate larger life requirements, such as patience. Just as you won't magically gain a magic bag of patience, you won't magically lose a tremendous amount of weight all at once.

Life's way of testing determination is to test the patience to endure. If life gave you everything you've always wanted, it will ask for it back, one way or another. Challenges beget the opportunity for success. The more successful you become, the greater the burden of carrying that success to its limit.

One way to reduce the large stress of a huge challenge (i.e. slowed weight loss) is to take it on in smaller chunks at a time. Reduce a large goal into smaller sub-goals. Those are easier to look at and believe the attainability to arrive at them. Another example is that you're going to the Caribbean in the near future. To get to that date, you have to go through a certain amount of days first. It's not happening immediately, and neither will weight loss.

I'm an advocate of testing patience in any way, shape, or form. My own included. It's my defiant and rebellious nature to find a way out of impatience and find a feasible method to handle it, along with gaining patience in the process. So, I'm not going to tell you to relax and let it happen or that it's going to get better, instead I'll tell you to use that impatience towards something productive. Dramatically increase the intensity of your workout routines. Include a workout you've never done before. Innovate a way to create a completely and insanely gratifying meal that's less than 300 calories. Do something where you can channel and harness that frustration. Put your aggression into positive actions. Or negative if that makes you feel better. Just do something. Life will find a way to balance it out in the end. That is the only guarantee I could ever make about anything.
    I love your philosophy.
  • myofibril
    myofibril Posts: 4,500 Member
    Options
    Any words of wisdom?

I don't have any I'm afraid. I do have just one question though.

How far has being impatient got you to date?
  • anubis609
    anubis609 Posts: 3,966 Member
    Options
    I love your philosophy.

Thank you. I do too. Lol. I like philosophizing life as it fits my perspective, then generalize it for public consumption. As cliche as it sounds, I literally believe if I can do it, anyone can. It just depends on the perspective one takes to handle any task. I don't see negatives or positives. I just see neutral outcomes which have opposite results as comparison. I feel I've broken down life as a simple balance from its complexity.
  • ReadyMom
    Options
    I hear you! I'm about to hit my 6th month anniversary here and I think man half a year I should be skinny by now!!! It does get frustrating to look at the whole picture I agree with the previous poster who said to break it down into smaller chunks. Sometimes for me even 10 lbs is too much to think about so I think in 5 lb increments. Makes life easier! Just keep doing your awesome work outs and I bet in a month you will see a difference.
  • loseit4ever
    loseit4ever Posts: 187 Member
    Options
    Thanks to everyone for the suggestions and comments. It's interesting to read each person's different perspective. I know being impatient isn't really going to get me anywhere, but it's something I struggle with all the time. I also am not trying to use it as a way to make an excuse to quit, that's what I would have done in the past. I've changed my workouts, and started the 30 Day Shred, and I know it will come off, it's just harder some weeks than others to convince myself of that!
  • backinthenines
    backinthenines Posts: 1,083 Member
    Options
    There are no words of wisdom. You just have to suck it up.

The weight I put on during 9 months of a hip injury, is not going to come off in 9 weeks. Simple as. The time it took to pile on is the time it'll take to come back off. Would I like it off in 9 days?? Hell yes, but that's just tough!

Our bodies don't care that you've got a party to go to or want to go on holiday. It'll take what it takes.