Healthy Breakkfast

Options
What is known as a good breakfast? I've been eating either whole wheat toast or instant oatmeal....just read that instant oatmeal is not the best...but I dont have time to make the non-instant..

What are you eating?

Replies

• wildcard29
    wildcard29 Posts: 322 Member
    Options
    I usually start with a banana right away and make myself two eggs with a bagel thin
  • millermichellelea
    Options
    What is known as a good breakfast? I've been eating either whole wheat toast or instant oatmeal....just read that instant oatmeal is not the best...but I dont have time to make the non-instant..

What are you eating?

I use the steel cut and cook it Sunday night, then portion it for the whole week. It works amazing and takes 30 seconds to throw berries on top and microwave. I use this kind because it doesn't get nasty, pasty like the others and is supposed to be better for you.
  • pyro13g
    pyro13g Posts: 1,127 Member
    Options
    I eat eggs. Over easy with a english muffin or scrambled with spinach and other veggies.
  • dianam1973
    Options
    Just a dumb question but what is the difference between instant and non instant oatmeal?

Edit to add: I'm assuming instant is the pre packaged ones right? And why don't you have time to make the non instant oatmeal, they sell the oats that cook in a couple of minutes...
  • Claudia007
    Claudia007 Posts: 878 Member
    Options
    yogurt & granola, or a bagel thin with eggbeaters and a veggie sausage patty.
  • sbwood888
    sbwood888 Posts: 953 Member
    Options
    Eggo waffle with an egg on top.
  • lloydrt
    lloydrt Posts: 1,121 Member
    Options
    1.5 cups of oatmeal, with 1 cup of berries...........talk about good

esp when I found out how healthy oatmeal is on lowering blood pressure, helps fight off cancers, and really lowers cholesterol.......really good stuff
    I used the old fashiioned rolled oats, not the instant.........supposed to be healthier...............Lloyd
  • Briacha
    Briacha Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    Someone posted on one of the boards here of a great and easy breakfast...
    1/2 cup egg whites in a mug, throw in a few pieces of onion, spinach or cheddar. Microwave for 1.5 minutes and put on wheat or multigrain english muffin. Delicious!!! :happy: My whole family loves it!!
    I switch up by eating yogurt, apples & pb, cereal, scone, etc.
  • gangstagirl625
    gangstagirl625 Posts: 187 Member
    Options
    i like kashi cereal (hearts and flakes blueberry clusters yummy) lots of fiber and all whole grains. and i use skim milk 1c cereal and 1/2 c milk =245 calories
  • PlanetVelma
    PlanetVelma Posts: 1,231 Member
    Options
    Actually it doesn't take that much effort to make non-instant oatmeal.

I bought a HUGE container of oats, basically what I do is I measure out my oatmeal the night before, add craisens or pack a banana. WHen I'm ready for my oats, I heat it in the microwave and top it with splenda, and banana (or I cook the craisens with my oats, YUM).

I think it takes about 2 min in the microwave to make my oatmeal, takes a bit longer here at work.

Or you can make a bunch the nite before and just heat up what you want in the microwave (i've done that before and it works just fine). :)
  • dianam1973
    Options
    That's why I was confused! I also buy a container of oats and just add 1/2 water and 1/2 skim milk, stick it in the microwave and it's done in like 2 minutes
  • dianam1973
    Options
    I forgot to add to my above post.....

While it's cooking in the microwave for the 2 minutes, I mash up a bannana, and when the oatmeal is done I add it in there.

Literally takes me 2 minutes to make this.
  • frogtox
    Options
    Peanut butter is my go-to breakfast food. The good kind, with whole-wheat grainy bread.
  • Newfiedan
    Newfiedan Posts: 1,517 Member
    Options
    1 whole egg 2 egg whites scrambeled together add 1/4 cup of diced bell peppers of choice, 3 whole precooked diced mushrooms mix together and nuke or cookin a nonstick frying pan serve on a whole wheat whole grain toritlla top with salsa. I also usually add 2 slices of butterball turkey bacon to it since I love it, its one of the very few processed foods that I have.
  • lloydrt
    lloydrt Posts: 1,121 Member
    Options
    Youre right Kacee, the original quaker oats, the one in that big round red container is the one I buy ,and it takes maybe 3 mins to make it......its really easy, and for me, lol, it reminds me of what I used to eat when I was a kid........kind of a comfort food, but a good comfort food........

medical professionals are really pushing oats , esp for the lowering of cholesterol and blood pressure..........Lloyd
  • BuceesNana
    BuceesNana Posts: 302 Member
    Options
    I have been eating an omelette...1/2 cup of egg whites, 5 spears of asparagus (or other fresh veggie), and 2 oz of white turkey lunch meat. I just cook the turkey and veggie for a couple of minutes, add the egg whites and eat with 1 slice of whole wheat high fiber toast. It is pretty good. Sometimes I top it with some reduced fat cheese. :)