Cardio advice, please!

Options
I need some advice from you guys... I've been working at running a 5k since April 2010 using the standard c25k program and I feel like I've gotten nowhere. I can tell that I'm running for longer periods of time, but the whole 5k in 30 mins timing won't work at my speed of about 5.3-5.5 mph (and even then I'm dying at 20 minutes), and going faster--the recommended 6 mph--burns me out before I even get close to 15 minutes. I'm not screwing around, I'm always pushing my HR past 170 (reasonably close to my max HR, I would say), so it's not like I need to just go harder. I can't figure out why I'm not improving like everybody else does on this program, especially over the last couple of months... how the hell do you break out of a cardio plateau? Aside from having a rest week and re-starting fresh (been there, done that, it didn't work), what can I do to improve?

Replies

• AggieCass09
    AggieCass09 Posts: 1,867 Member
    Options
    I'm not familiar with the C25K program, but I am a runner. When I was trying to break through my slow stage, I alternated a tempo run and speed work each week (just once a week).
    Tempo run- run a total mileage that is half of your longest run of the week. (if you dont do long runs start at 3 or 4 miles total for this run). Use the first and last half of a mile to a mile as the warm up and cool down, then run the middle portion about 5-10 seconds faster than your goal race pace.

Speed work- using the same total distance from above with 1/2 mile warm up and cool downs, run mile sprints with 1/2 mile walk/jogs in the remaining distance at 10-15 seconds or as fast as you can maintain for the entire mile.

i increased my half marathon time this year by 15 min so these definitely help! Good luck!
  • andythorn1969
    Options
    Perhaps you should set your sights a bit lower and longer.

I'm no pro and no-one should take my advice too seriously, but maybe you're more of a long distance kind of person.

I know that when I get up to 6mph I'm working REALLY hard.

To save some of the pain and anguish I do a long walk at the weekend, maybe 8 to 10 miles.

I hope this helps.

Boomshanka

Andy
  • Nielsens
    Options
    sounds like you got your cardio down meaning you can do 30 minutes of running. You need each week to work on speed intervals which is called HIIT training... High intensity interval training. if have a track then run (sprint) the lengths and walk the curve and do that for 15 no more than 20 minutes... then the next week sprint the length and curve then walk the length and then once you can do that.. sprint around the track then walk a bit..... you can do the cardio portion but you need to work on your speed.. i know these are speed intervals and not much in lengh but if you can do these 1-2 times a week then try and longer run and it should help...
    i am not saying its going to be fun because they are not fun but when you get down you can really tell you worked hard, pushed yourself, worked on speed and burned more calories and this should help not only with your longer distance speed but loosing weight too. if you are burned out try and eat something light about 1/2 hour before you run... you may not be fueling yourself...
    good luck...
  • dancingnancies
    dancingnancies Posts: 255 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • Cmccracken1
    Cmccracken1 Posts: 326 Member
    Options
    i'm also doing the c25k program but i am not worried at all about completeing a 5k under 30 mins more like 45... i just want to be able to run that distance it has nothing to do with speed. i run at 5.2 mph and that's as fast as i will go.. it hurts to do more than that and my heart rate is right where it needs to be with that. Try backing your speed down go for comfort and for distance, if you are running your heart rate should be up but you want it up comfortable not pass out level.... hang in there. i should also say that my 5.2mph i am 5'9 and have fairly long legs other people who are shorter seem to run slower and that is fine.. it's about the distance.
  • lutzsher
    lutzsher Posts: 1,153 Member
    Options
    Im mid way through the C25K right now. To push yourself I would suggest bumping your speed up to 6 for a minute every 2 or 3 minutes. Slowly increase until you can have the stamina to maintain a higher speed for a longer duration. Sometimes we need to give ourselves the gift of patience and go slowly. It may take you some extra time to develop a bit more strength to sustain the higher speed.
    I typically only run at about 5.1 or so right now so I know I have a ways to go to get there myself. Im in my 40's so do know that I have to take it slow to avoid injury. Each week I evaluate how Im feeling at my speed and bump it a notch . . . and yes, the first day of the increased speed makes me feel like im dying . . . but Im pretty stubborn and force myself to keep going.
  • lutzsher
    lutzsher Posts: 1,153 Member
    Options
    i'm also doing the c25k program but i am not worried at all about completeing a 5k under 30 mins more like 45... i just want to be able to run that distance it has nothing to do with speed. i run at 5.2 mph and that's as fast as i will go.. it hurts to do more than that and my heart rate is right where it needs to be with that. Try backing your speed down go for comfort and for distance, if you are running your heart rate should be up but you want it up comfortable not pass out level.... hang in there. i should also say that my 5.2mph i am 5'9 and have fairly long legs other people who are shorter seem to run slower and that is fine.. it's about the distance.

Just saw your reply, Im only 5'4" so now my 5.1 speed doesn't seem so bad. Thanks!
  • Cmccracken1
    Cmccracken1 Posts: 326 Member
    Options

Just saw your reply, Im only 5'4" so now my 5.1 speed doesn't seem so bad. Thanks!

That's really good. if i go faster my chins start to hurt because i land to hard... but like i said it aint about the speed for me. i was a smoker for 20 years. Quit in April last year so the fact that i am running and speed walking now for 30-45mins at a time is a huge achievment.
  • andythorn1969
    Options
    That's really good. if i go faster my chins start to hurt because i land to hard... but like i said it aint about the speed for me. i was a smoker for 20 years. Quit in April last year so the fact that i am running and speed walking now for 30-45mins at a time is a huge achievment.
    [/quote]

How many chins do you have?
  • xarrium
    xarrium Posts: 432 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the advice, guys--I'll try out some of the different things here and see if they help improve my speed/stamina, otherwise I guess I'll just try for slow and steady. :flowerforyou: