Using weights in the Gym

Options
How come this doesnt track the calories burned when you do weight training ? I enjoy lifting weights and I do Cardio as well .. I really think it would boost my moral and give me the boost knowing I am burning more calories ... or am I missing something ?

Replies

• mmanderr18
    mmanderr18 Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    I usually put the reps and weights and everything in under Strength Training and keep track of the time. Then, I make a "Strength Training" log under cardio for how much time I spent.
  • kimmerroze
    kimmerroze Posts: 1,330 Member
    Options
    I usually put the reps and weights and everything in under Strength Training and keep track of the time. Then, I make a "Strength Training" log under cardio for how much time I spent.

Ditto! this is what i do as well.. 30 minutes burns 150 calories, so MFP says.
  • outersoul
    Options
    I wondered the same thing when I started. My guess is that it's hard to estimate how many calories you're burning while lifting. There are so many variables, the biggest being intensity (I think), that trying to calculate them would be too hard. For what it's worth, there's a weightlifting entry in the cardio section.

My solution to finding out how many calories I burn lifting was to buy a HRM. Now I just use the weightlifting category in the cardio section and input what my HRM tells me.
  • novatri
    novatri Posts: 262 Member
    Options
    This is just a guess. It's probably complex cause if so many variables. How much weight you can vs are lifting. Rest between sets. The millions of different variations available in moves, not to mention equipment.

but weights doesn't burn the calories so much when your doing it, but after as your body repairs itself. It's just to hard to accurately figure. But that's just a guess.
  • AggieCass09
    AggieCass09 Posts: 1,867 Member
    Options
    I wear my HRM during lifting so I know how many calories I burn. This goes into the cardio part for x minutes. In the strength part, I put my reps and weight. There are too many variables in the effort put out, time between reps, etc. for MFP to calculate this itself.
  • kimmerroze
    kimmerroze Posts: 1,330 Member
    Options
    This is just a guess. It's probably complex cause if so many variables. How much weight you can vs are lifting. Rest between sets. The millions of different variations available in moves, not to mention equipment.

but weights doesn't burn the calories so much when your doing it, but after as your body repairs itself. It's just to hard to accurately figure. But that's just a guess.

this is true, which is why I go with a low amount, ie what MFP sets as the average. and go with that. its better to under shoot than over shoot!