question about cal burned

Options
question for someone out there i did a workout today and the treadmill said I burned 350 cals and MFP posted it as 588 something is not right helppppppppp please

Replies

• anubis609
    anubis609 Posts: 3,966 Member
    Options
    I'd choose the lower of the 2, personally. Then again, does the treadmill calorie burn take into account weight and/or HR? If it doesn't, it would be the "standard" calorie burn for the average person. If you feel you burned more, use MFP's calculations, if you want to "play it safe" you could choose the treadmill count. Either way, track whichever you feel is more realistic for you and consistently use that method. It will give you a stable range of estimated calorie tracking.
  • kacarter1017
    kacarter1017 Posts: 651 Member
    Options
    I trust what my workout equipment tells me more than MFP. MFP is doing an average, your equipment is basing the result on what you did. You can change what MFP says prior to accepting it as exercise for the day. Yesterday I pushed really hard on the elliptical and burned many more calories than MFP thought I would. I changed the calories burned to what my elliptical said.
  • frogmama
    frogmama Posts: 404 Member
    Options
    I just came home from the gym. I was on the elliptical for 20 minutes. My heart rate monitor showed 162 calories burned, the machine said 220. I use the number on my HRM.
  • anubis609
    anubis609 Posts: 3,966 Member
    Options
    I trust what my workout equipment tells me more than MFP. MFP is doing an average, your equipment is basing the result on what you did. You can change what MFP says prior to accepting it as exercise for the day. Yesterday I pushed really hard on the elliptical and burned many more calories than MFP thought I would. I changed the calories burned to what my elliptical said.

I agree. My elliptical workout routine is at least 2x the calorie burn that MFP states for a typical workout on no resistance. I amp mine up to the highest resistance with a lot of speed and HIIT routines worked into it. So, since my machine also takes into account weight and HR, I use the machine.