Does anyone count daily walking for exercise?

Options
Does anyone track their steps through the day and mark them as exercise? I bought a tracker thing just to see what my normal day was and I am trying to build on that and walk a lot more, like parking farther away etc. Well it tracks steps, how much time you are actually walking and calories. Can this be counted as exercise? Or is this just considered normal activity?

According to my tracker I walked 4,388 steps by walking 1 hour, 1 minute, 13 seconds, and burned 193 calories. I just wondered if anyone else counted them...lol...

Replies

• MermaidFaith
    MermaidFaith Posts: 495 Member
    Options
    i thought that daily normal walking was figured in when you told them your activity level when you first signed up so i do not track it
  • chantalicious
    Options
    I never count my walking and I walk to and from work, so I know that's not the norm.
  • Nadyasmom
    Options
    I don't count the daily normal walking as previous post said--it's factored into the daily activity level. However, as you mentioned that you are trying ot increase that, then yes, it would become additional exercise.

It's hard to track it though if it's just a few steps here and there (parking etc). But a calorie is a calorie. ;)
  • bethvandenberg
    bethvandenberg Posts: 1,496 Member
    Options
    IDK, but I will tell you that when I set up my daily BMR thingy it was way off (I had it checked). I think you should do what you want to do. I think that if you're striving to make more steps each day why not. I only track the calories I burn when I walk for a workout. :)
    But your name isn't Beth so you do what's right for you.
  • sabrinafaith
    sabrinafaith Posts: 607 Member
    Options
    I enter my walks. I burn about 200 calories a day just from my morning walk with my baby. I use the 15 min rule- if it's less than 15 min I don't enter it.
  • mayana2002
    Options
    I don't think so... things that you always did before doesn't count... extra activities yes. If you walk for 30 minutes non stop and things like that...
  • wriglucy
    wriglucy Posts: 1,064 Member
    Options
    I add mine because there are only 3 days a week that I'm walking a half hour at a time or more. I also have my profile set to sedentary, so anything beside just sitting, I count.
  • Sheltie4
    Sheltie4 Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    I only count the walking I do when I specifically go for a walk. All the other bits I reckon are just part of the day. I try to walk the dog twice a day and I count that as exercise.
  • might4
    might4 Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    I count as exercise my dog walk in the morning...but not my steps throughout the day because that is factored in daily living. And like so many people have already said...everyone is different and their journeys are different.
  • EDBENAGLIO
    Options
    here is my thought weight loss is about cal in and cal out.

so you track everything you put in so i track everything i take out. however to make this work i just look at the '' Your Daily Summary " box on the main page the last and look only at the last 3 numbers food (cal in) - exercise(cal out) and net (over under)

Goal Food Exercise = Net
    1800 975 - 3000 -2025

using this i can come close to the weight loss i will see on the scale
  • VialOfDreams
    Options
    Daily walk doesn't count as exercise if it's something you do on a regular basis. For example, if your job requires you to walk all day, it does not count. Your body gets used this way of life, so becomes the "norm". This is also why exercise becomes more efficient if you change it up. :)
  • Devourer
    Options
    I figured that the trips to the copy room (irregular and short) as part of 'Sedentary'. The walks I take with the dog or the days I walk to work I count, especially since I live on a mountain so the dog walking is (at some point) uphill and not on a level parking lot or office corridor.
  • JenaePavlak
    JenaePavlak Posts: 350 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't count it even if it is a little "extra" because then you may find yourself losing more weight each week. Your activity level is increasing but your goal is still the same so It just gives you a little wiggle room especially when you have foods that you may not know the exact calorie count.
  • MsFitnFabulous
    MsFitnFabulous Posts: 432 Member
    Options
    I enter my walks. I burn about 200 calories a day just from my morning walk with my baby. I use the 15 min rule- if it's less than 15 min I don't enter it.

I agree. I started walking on my 15 minute break and my 30 minute lunch rather than just sit at my desk. You would be surprised how that adds up. Plus it refreshes me and I'm more alert.
  • chickybabe05
    Options
    Everyone is different, but for me i don't count the normal daily activities. I just count the "workouts" that i do. but its entirely up to you. good luck!!
  • kngarber
    kngarber Posts: 227
    Options
    Thanks everyone. I think I will just continue to try and walk more through the day, but not count it! Like someone else said it will give me a little wiggle room!!
  • KokomoJoe
    Options
    I don't count my daily walking from the train to the subway, going for lunch, coffee or to meetings. I do count the half hour walk I try to get in at lunch. I usually go between 1 and 1.5 km depending on where I walk. If I walk to the book store 3/4 of a km away I count the walk there, time in the bookstore doesn't count, then count the walk back. Yesterday the subway was down so I counted the 2 km walk to work from the train station.
  • Sheltie4
    Sheltie4 Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone. I think I will just continue to try and walk more through the day, but not count it! Like someone else said it will give me a little wiggle room!!

I would love a little wiggle room in my stretch jeans!
  • mamagooskie
    mamagooskie Posts: 2,964 Member
    Options
    I don't count any exercize unless it's something I don't normally do.
  • cheshirequeen
    cheshirequeen Posts: 1,324 Member
    Options
    i count it as steps trying to get the 10000 recommended steps each day, but i take off the pedometer if i am just walking around the house do normal stuff, i walk during biggest loser, so i log that, but like i said, daily normal stuff, no, but like walks i go outside on or when i walk around the house like 30-60 minutes at a time i do.