No gut, much glory?

Options
Seems everyone I know is actively dieting so I figured I might as well.
Saw this app on my phone and went to the site yesterday and got everything going.

I have been rather impressed so far with everything on the web, here, and discovering that I don't consume as much cholesterol as everyone thinks but I am grossly lacking in potassium and high in sodium.

Most of my problem is that I still live as a bachelor, work 11 hour shifts, so most of my cooking is easy/prepackaged stuff I can modify and turn around quick.
Its not that I cannot cook, I cook quite well, I just cannot go through large grocery items fast enough that they aren't thrown out OR the time needed to make a 'healthy' meal from raw ingredients.

Replies

• jessemerson86
    jessemerson86 Posts: 174 Member
    Options
    I know what you mean about being busy and it being difficult to prepare meals after a long shift. Something that works for me is preparing a large meal with tons of leftovers that I can use later in the week, or freeze to use at some later date.
  • BrentGetsFit
    BrentGetsFit Posts: 878 Member
    Options
    I do the same, lots of crock pot meals, big casseroles and soups to freeze for later. I'm also living alone, working 2 jobs, long days. It takes a little more effort but so worth it.
  • Devourer
    Options
    I tried the cooking alot for leftovers. The problem I then have is that I have no sense of portion control...
    I'll eat it all in one sitting. Cooking just enough to have at one meal, without having time to make more, has prevented overeating but its probably not the most weight/health conscious thing I could be doing.
  • faithikins
    faithikins Posts: 679 Member
    Options
    I use lean cuisine and healthy choice meals for 70-80% of my week also due to being fried after work. I take them for lunch and have for dinner when I'm too tired to cook. It really helps now that exercising is a part of my life as well and earlier mornings. The key is in a well planned shopping trip. I shop fortnightly and make sure I buy enough healthy items I will eat and make despite how tired I feel. I only need to top up on fresh produce weekly or fruit.
  • BrentGetsFit
    BrentGetsFit Posts: 878 Member
    Options
    I tried the cooking alot for leftovers. The problem I then have is that I have no sense of portion control...
    I'll eat it all in one sitting. Cooking just enough to have at one meal, without having time to make more, has prevented overeating but its probably not the most weight/health conscious thing I could be doing.

The trick is to figure out how many servings a recipe is designed to make. Once you know that, as soon as it's done, divide it up into containers and toss it in the fridge, freezer BEFORE you eat anything. This way it's out of sight and out of mind. Heck, I've found a few recipes that are so low in calories I can eat two servings, feel like I splurged and STILL be under my goal. It takes a little effort but it's SO worth it. As a follow-on to that, learn to eat mindfully, take your time and enjoy the flavor and texture. After a while you'll begin to learn portion control. Good luck :)
  • jessemerson86
    jessemerson86 Posts: 174 Member
    Options
    The trick is to figure out how many servings a recipe is designed to make. Once you know that, as soon as it's done, divide it up into containers and toss it in the fridge, freezer BEFORE you eat anything. This way it's out of sight and out of mind. Heck, I've found a few recipes that are so low in calories I can eat two servings, feel like I splurged and STILL be under my goal. It takes a little effort but it's SO worth it.

This is what we do too! We measure the final product out by the cup (usually), since that's a convenient serving size (and because we have a lot of 1 cup tupperware). I think it really helps to measure things so you know how much you're eating and if you've got room for another serving.