Coffee talk...

Options
2»

Replies

• tmaksparkie
    Options
    I am on my third day of being Diet Pepsi free. So far so good.

I drink a couple cups of coffee in the morning and I'm looking for better alternatives to using Equal.
    Anything out there?

Btw just so u know, I do not or cannot stomach the taste of black coffee.

Try flavored coffee, that's what I do.
  • bodyrocks365
    Options
    Splendaaaa :):) equal stinks but it's better than the pink sugar substitute. I make my coffee nice and strong (black) so I don't have to rely on creamer for flavor. If it's too strong, that's when I add splenda :)
  • bodyrocks365
    Options
    I cut out coffee completely. If you really need that burst of energy in the morning and you allow your body to adapt to it, orange juice can give you the same effect. Coffee is highly acidic, and acidic foods/ drinks make you store fat. (unless, of course, it is fruit.)
    Orange juice is highly acidic...not to mention the quick carbs...and fructose (in fruit) is considered the "fat" carb...
  • tdixon00
    Options
    Agave or stevia are the best natural sweeteners to use, they are supposed to not only be better for your body, but they don't have the calories of regular sugar. Plus you only need to use a little bit for just as much sweetness!
  • dalbers
    Options
    Splenda is cheap and tastes great and very low calorie.

Its been around 20 years and has had no demonstrated ill effects.

If you want to spend more for stevia cause it is natural by all means, but unless you are taking a LOT of sweetener, I do not see a concern.

But what really matters if you are making a change whatever you choose :)
  • helenbeee
    helenbeee Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    I think its kind of good to get a little perspective here.
    Currently you are having 2 cups of coffee a day right? It is also totally unrealistic to cut out sweet flavours in our diet (we are born with sweet taste buds after all)
    I absolutely agree that there must be personal control on the AMOUNT of sugar we consume particularly being aware of the hidden sugars in processed food.
    So if we are in charge of adding sugar then we get to control the amount.

So back to you....you are having 2 cups of coffee a day if you are really desperate for the FLAVOUR of sugar and you had 1/2 a teaspoon in each coffee you have only consumed 16 calories.
    If this helps you to stay on track to healthier diet then its valuable if it prevents you going cold turkey and succumbing to a sugar binge down the track because sugar binges after abstination are nasty.

Sugar, if consumed in large amounts is like alcohol, if we overdo it it is poison to our bodies it really messes us up.

Now sugar does have carbs to consider also, but there are low GI sugars on the market called logicane. Its sugar but it has a natural molasses sprayed on the granules which converts it to a low GI.

Our local brand of low GI still has the 16 calories for a teaspoon of sugar but only 4g total carbohydrate.
    The amazing thing is that it takes longer to be digested, resulting in a slower release of energy, which can help curb hunger cravings. But it tastes like sugar because it is sugar.

Now Im not pushing sugar here quite the contrary but it has to taken into account that some people particularly in the first few weeks fall off the wagon because they cant do the cold turkey cut out sweet flavours in their diet. Other people (and Ive read quite a few posts here) where people were doing great going cold turkey but they were craving it like mad, only to fall off the wagon with a sugar binge.

Perhaps its just a matter of getting things into perspective and being nice to ourselves saying I can have sweet flavours but I get to decide the how, the when and the what.
    Not eat some processed muck only to discover AFTER youve consumed more than you intended that it was laden with sugar which is the real reason we are addicted to sweet, fatty food.

Try the Stevia and other sweetners by all means I just didnt like the flavour myself and in the end chose to slowly reduce my sugar to nothing granule by granule and now if I want to add flavour Ill sprinkle cinnamon or nutmeg on top which is another really nice alternative.
    It was really hard though and a couple of times I binged and paid the nasty price of shakes, headaches and headspins. I have done some research on this and it might be an alternative if other methods dont work.
    Good Luck
  • dalbers
    Options
    I think its kind of good to get a little perspective here.
    Currently you are having 2 cups of coffee a day right? It is also totally unrealistic to cut out sweet flavours in our diet (we are born with sweet taste buds after all)
    I absolutely agree that there must be personal control on the AMOUNT of sugar we consume particularly being aware of the hidden sugars in processed food.
    So if we are in charge of adding sugar then we get to control the amount.

So back to you....you are having 2 cups of coffee a day if you are really desperate for the FLAVOUR of sugar and you had 1/2 a teaspoon in each coffee you have only consumed 16 calories.
    If this helps you to stay on track to healthier diet then its valuable if it prevents you going cold turkey and succumbing to a sugar binge down the track because sugar binges after abstination are nasty.

Sugar, if consumed in large amounts is like alcohol, if we overdo it it is poison to our bodies it really messes us up.

Now sugar does have carbs to consider also, but there are low GI sugars on the market called logicane. Its sugar but it has a natural molasses sprayed on the granules which converts it to a low GI.

Our local brand of low GI still has the 16 calories for a teaspoon of sugar but only 4g total carbohydrate.
    The amazing thing is that it takes longer to be digested, resulting in a slower release of energy, which can help curb hunger cravings. But it tastes like sugar because it is sugar.

Now Im not pushing sugar here quite the contrary but it has to taken into account that some people particularly in the first few weeks fall off the wagon because they cant do the cold turkey cut out sweet flavours in their diet. Other people (and Ive read quite a few posts here) where people were doing great going cold turkey but they were craving it like mad, only to fall off the wagon with a sugar binge.

Perhaps its just a matter of getting things into perspective and being nice to ourselves saying I can have sweet flavours but I get to decide the how, the when and the what.
    Not eat some processed muck only to discover AFTER youve consumed more than you intended that it was laden with sugar which is the real reason we are addicted to sweet, fatty food.

Try the Stevia and other sweetners by all means I just didnt like the flavour myself and in the end chose to slowly reduce my sugar to nothing granule by granule and now if I want to add flavour Ill sprinkle cinnamon or nutmeg on top which is another really nice alternative.
    It was really hard though and a couple of times I binged and paid the nasty price of shakes, headaches and headspins. I have done some research on this and it might be an alternative if other methods dont work.
    Good Luck

*** clapping ***

Moderation is everything.
  • taiyola
    taiyola Posts: 964 Member
    Options
    Can you get Truvia in the UK? I know you can get Splenda... I might give that a try! I have 3 spoons on coffee >.< in my coffee, and usually have 1 a day... but some times 2!