The joy of sweating

Options
I was reading the forums and blogs tonight when a thought occurred to me; I love that feeling I have immediately after one of my P90X workouts – sweat dripping off my face, heart racing at 180 beats per minute, and I’m struggling to catch my breath. I LOVE that feeling. In as much pain as I’m in right then, it is my favorite time. In that moment I feel my most alive, I feel most here and normal, grounded… if that makes any sense. It feels so right. And that is when I wonder why so many people don’t do the same thing, why doesn’t everyone want to exercise and get this feeling. Why do so many people hate to exercise? Why do I see so many infomercials promising six pack abs and buns of steel with no discomfort or work involved? Why does it seem like everyone is so afraid to work up a sweat? Anyway, before I get up on my soapbox (which I often do), how many of you get the same high from a workout?

Replies

• in_it_2_win_it
    Options
    ME! ME! ME!.. I LOVE that feeling.. I love the feeling of knowing I gave it my all .. I push till I am sweaty and stinky and flush.. and I LOVE IT.. never used to.. but, after getting this renewed feeling of needing to take the weight off... made me love that feeling
  • mistyb47711
    mistyb47711 Posts: 861 Member
    Options
    I totally agree with you. I feel awesome after a workout. I cant believe that I didnt want to get this feeling before. I just didnt want to work out I would of rather of watched tv or something else.
  • Jaedynmoon
    Jaedynmoon Posts: 280 Member
    Options
    Totally with you!!! Just today I was finishing up my working, sweat pouring off of me...in my eyes...trying to catch my breath....I LOVE IT!! Couldn't feel more satisfied with myself at that moment because I freaking rocked it. I love it!
  • classyleo77
    classyleo77 Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    I love it too! I think a lot of people don't know how good it feels to exercise once it becomes a part of your daily life. I was so sedentary my whole life that I had no clue how good I could feel.
  • NikkiJ17
    NikkiJ17 Posts: 295
    Options
    I hear ya!! I love the way my legs feel when I get off the treadmill!!! Must be the release of endorphines, isn't that what they say??
  • kimballtracy
    Options
    i turn into a grump when i cant work out! lol......and i guage my work out on how much im sweating! lol:blushing:
  • Celo24
    Celo24 Posts: 566 Member
    Options
    I know what you mean man. I ran about 4.5 miles outside today at 3:00 in the afternoon and when I got home, I was drenched in sweat. I had one of those sweats going where it's hard to get your shirt off because it's suctioned to you. It felt awesome!! In the gym, the AC allows me to work up a sweat, but not quite to that degree. There is nothing like feeling the sun beat down on you, running into the wind, pumping your legs and forcing yourself to take just...one...more...step. I love it. Sweat rules.
  • in_it_2_win_it
    Options
    I agree
  • punkin_793
    Options
    I love that feeling...sweating in places I didn't know could sweat...lol love the pain it means i must be doing something right!
  • sooperdad
    Options
    I hear ya!! I love the way my legs feel when I get off the treadmill!!! Must be the release of endorphines, isn't that what they say??

You know, I had always heard about the "runners high", but never thought I had it... Now that I think about it, I think that is what I'm feeling. Well, it rocks!
  • WifeMomDVM
    WifeMomDVM Posts: 1,025 Member
    Options
    I'm one of those people you brought up. I HATE to exercise. I HATE it HATE it H-A-T-E it. I'm trying to find things I love, but basically I love to be a couch potato. Alas, that will not achieve the results I want. So I exercise anyway. I make myself do it. I don't like to be overly sweaty or out of breath or in pain. But I do it anyway. Afterwards, when I've had my shower and I'm all clean and my HR is back to normal... THEN I feel great.

Guess I'm just weird. Hoping one day I will love to exercise but right now it is a CHORE I make myself do. Ugh!
  • sooperdad
    Options
    i turn into a grump when i cant work out! lol......and i guage my work out on how much im sweating! lol:blushing:

I know! When I'm on my Rest/Stretch day I feel like I'm cheating, I keep thinking I want to work out, but I know I need at least one rest day a week...
  • sooperdad
    Options
    I'm one of those people you brought up. I HATE to exercise. I HATE it HATE it H-A-T-E it. I'm trying to find things I love, but basically I love to be a couch potato. Alas, that will not achieve the results I want. So I exercise anyway. I make myself do it. I don't like to be overly sweaty or out of breath or in pain. But I do it anyway. Afterwards, when I've had my shower and I'm all clean and my HR is back to normal... THEN I feel great.

Guess I'm just weird. Hoping one day I will love to exercise but right now it is a CHORE I make myself do. Ugh!

I totally understand, I used to HATE HATE HATE running, and then one day something changed, I don't know why, but one day I began to love running. Now the guy that would have rather eaten a bowl of nails than run, is doing half marathons in preparation for my first full marathon sometime this year...
  • Ally_Clare
    Ally_Clare Posts: 355 Member
    Options
    Me too! I love the fact that i've made the effort to do some form of exercise and that is a step in the right direction to becoming a healthier individual. If it's a hot day i love getting in a cold shower afterwards ahhhh