Looking for chicken and salsa ideas.

Options
kaymd
kaymd Posts: 470 Member
I have some chicken and some salsa and I need a good low calorie recipe that feeds 5 people (3 being very picky children). I appreciate any ideas. Thanks in advance :happy:

Replies

• Caper88
    Caper88 Posts: 418 Member
    Options
    I love to just fry up the chicken up in the salsa. Then have some potatoes with it or put it in a wrap.
  • abyt42
    abyt42 Posts: 1,358 Member
    Options
    dump both in a crockpot. Add a can of pinto or black beans, 1/2 C dry rice, a little water & maybe some frozen corn?
  • jrbanta
    jrbanta Posts: 4,240 Member
    Options
    Take boneless, skinless chicken breasts and place in a bowl or zip loc bag with salsa as the marinade for a few hours. Grill the chicken breasts with the option of melting cheddar cheese on top. Serve on a bun like a burger. Have extra salsa available to put on sandwich or whatever else kids like as toppings. We have these alot in spring, summer and fall when weather in Minnesota is nice for grilling.
  • mamma321
    mamma321 Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    we like to put our Chicken in a pan, pour the salsa on top, sprinkle a little cheese, and bake it in the oven, served with rice and veggies yummy yummy!!
  • lilwashee
    lilwashee Posts: 222 Member
    Options
    kay have you tried www.cookinglight.com
  • corsayre8
    corsayre8 Posts: 551 Member
    Options
    I was thinking just throw the two items in a crockpot, cookthree hours on high, then shred chicken. Use meat tomake burritos with beans, whole wheat tortillas, little bit of cheese and a bunch of veggies.

But that could just be that I am craving Mexican!

Ohhh, well, think we are having Chevy's fajitas at work tomorrow for the boss' bday. It will be a test, Mexican food has tone my biggest weakness. :-(
  • Dubby62
    Dubby62 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    bump
  • boobee32
    boobee32 Posts: 450 Member
    Options
    slice a couple of red potatoes thin...place the chicken on top of potatoes, sprinkle a bit of taco seasoning on chicken..put a tblespoon of salsa on chicken, sprinkle a little bit of mexican low cal cheese on top, wrap in tin foil, and place in oven til done. Top with a bit of sour cream. Had this before, and its yummy!
  • meagalayne
    meagalayne Posts: 3,382 Member
    Options
    Individual pizzas! Use tortillas, pitas, english muffins, sandwich thins or any other flat bread, sub the salsa for pizza sauce (lower cal!), top with veggies (peppers, onions, spinach, etc - i'd recommend cooking it slightly in the microwave before topping though), chopped cooked chicken and a little cheese and throw it in the oven at 450F for 10 mins :bigsmile: Great for adults and kids alike, and everyone gets what they want. Super easy and a great way to teach kids how to eat healthy and enjoy food!
  • amandarn
    amandarn Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Take a package of taco seasoning and dip the chicken in it to cover. Put it in a 9x13 baking dish and cover it with the salsa. Wrap it tight in aluminum foil. Bake it at 375 for 25-30 min. At the very end you can sprinkle a little cheese on if you would like. Great meal and not too many calories!!
  • kaymd
    kaymd Posts: 470 Member
    Options
    I'm liking these ideas...please keep them coming :bigsmile:
  • ErinBeth7
    ErinBeth7 Posts: 1,625 Member
    Options
    I use chicken tenderloins. First, I season them with season salt and Mrs Dash (perfect everything seasoning!!!). Then I use 1Tbsp of Hyvee corn & black bean salsa on each piece. Stick it in the oven for 30 min at 350. Very tasty!! For a side, I usually have a veggie and cottage cheese.