Please Help!

Options
Hey everyone!

So, I got the cheaper S7 heart rate monitor from walmart ($37). I have always had a very high heart rate....resting is usually around 90...I know, not great! Anyways, when I use this HRM when exercising, my heart rate will usually go up to around 160-180 and therefore it says I am burning calories out the wazoo! I walked (3mph) and ran a few sets of stairs for 25 minutes today and it said I burned 387 calories! My question is, do you think this is accurate, since it is basing it off of my heart rate? Or does does the calorie burn seem too high? I dont want to log in all those exercise calories and then make up too much by eating them back; so I have been logging them in on MFP under what the HRM will say by around 50-100 calories. Thanks for any advice!!

Replies

• Lizzie08
    Lizzie08 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    I ran into this website http://www.my-calorie-counter.com/Activity_Calorie_Calculator.asp and you can enter your weight and time and it will calculate the calories you burn... Hopefully this helps :)
  • mistyb47711
    mistyb47711 Posts: 861 Member
    Options
    Overview
    Using your average heart rate during an exercise session, you can estimate the calories that you expend during exercise. This is possible because your heart rate is related to your calorie expenditure rate. This calculation will be most accurate when your heart rate is between 90 and 150 beats per minute (bpm). The equation used to calculate calories burned also requires weight, gender and duration of the exercise session.

Step 1
    Weigh yourself on a scale. Ensure you measure your weight in pounds.

Step 2
    Wear your heart monitor while you exercise, but wait until your heart rate gets above 90 bpm before recording it. Keep your heart rate between 90 and 150 bpm by slowing down or speeding up as necessary. Complete your exercise session and stop recording your heart rate before it drops below 90 bpm.

Step 3
    For males, estimate the calories that you burned during your exercise session. This is given by the equation C = (0.6309 x H + 0.09036 x W + 0.2017 x A -- 55.0969) x T / 4.184. C is the number of calories that you burned, H is your average heart rate, W is your weight, A is your age and T is the length of your exercise session in minutes.

Step 4
    For females, derive the calories that you burned. This is given by the equation C = (0.4472 x H -- 0.05741 x W + 0.074 x A -- 20.4022) x T / 4.184. Assume that you're a 28-year-old female weighing 146 pounds. Your average heart rate during an exercise session that lasted 36 minutes was 138 bpm. You burned C = (0.4472 x 138 -- 0.05741 x 146 + 0.074 x 28 -- 20.4022) x 36 / 4.184 = 301 calories.

http://www.livestrong.com/article/78365-estimate-calories-burned-heart-rate/
  • Hsanders3961
    Hsanders3961 Posts: 245 Member
    Options
    Hmmmm...well using that equation, it comes out to 247 calories. That sounds a little more realistic. Maybe I should return this HRM... Thanks for the info!