Late night snack

Options
I can't seem to fall asleep without my midnight bowl of cereal! How can I stop eating so late?

Replies

• catniss
    catniss Posts: 326 Member
    Options
    rather than not eating it--can you just reserve enough cals so that you have enough at the end of the day?
  • PharmCat12
    Options
    Eating at night is not necessarily bad for you! If you aren't having any problems sleeping or with reflux then feel free to enjoy some food before bed. Just make sure it still sticks with your calorie counts! :)
  • theidarisafa
    Options
    you really shouldn't be eating 3-4 hours before bed.

What are you eating for dinner?

Usually if you eat foods with fiber and protein, it's less likely that you'll have the high and low insulin spikes that are causing you to be "hungry".

all cereal is usually simple carbs. Sounds like you are really hungry after your last meal.

If you are working out, you may need more calories than the recommendation of MFP. My trainer told me that on days that I work out, I should be eating an extra 300 calories. It's better if I don't(and I'll lose more)

But I may need them.

Everybody on here is right. it's NOT just the calories. I'm finding that out. it's the quality of the calories that we put in our bodies.

a piece of bread and a brown rice are very different. One has simple carbs and gets digested quickly(white bread).

brown rice has fiber, protein, and complex carb.

Look for more nutrient dense foods. I find that adding cashews, walnuts, peanuts etc works for me by adding quick protein to meals that may NOT have any. Cheese/milk/yougurt/meat can also do the same thing. I just prefer nuts over cheese or yourgurt usually.

Fruit by itself may make you very hungry quickly. Have some nuts with it, and it changes how your body breaks down the food and the resulting insulin spike.

I am not a dietician, but research what is happening to you. Research better food options. Educate yourself and you'll see that what I'm and others are saying is correct. All calories are NOT created equal. Even if you're within your calorie range, you may be feeling hungry because of the type and the quality of foods.
  • bonniejo
    bonniejo Posts: 787 Member
    Options
    The problem as I see it is that I eat dinner around 6 but don't go to bed until at least 1 am. So I'm hungry. I do try to choose good cereal, although they're all pretty bad for you. I've been eating Special K.
  • 0flynnstone0
    Options
    I think if you eat supper at 6 it's completely fine to snack between then and 1 am. That's 7 hours, I'd be hungry too! Like someone above me said, just make sure you plan for it by saving up enough calories during the day.
  • bonniejo
    bonniejo Posts: 787 Member
    Options
    Since I eat it everynight maybe I'll just start inputting it when I log my breakfast so it's already in there and I don't have to worry about it! Talking things out really helps, thanks!
  • NurseSunshine
    Options
    I am in the same boat. I eat diner around 6ish and don't go to bed until after 1 so I get hungry, plus I am a creature of habit and just naturally have the late night munchies. Since I know that I am going to be hitting the kitchen around 9:30 - 10:00 for my bag of Spart Pop 94% fat free kettle korn I plan for it all day. It really does help to input the snack early in the day so you know that you can have it and won't end up being in the hole later. Also, if I decide to eat less of my snack or not have it at all I can simply delete it. This has really helped me. Also, planning on my specific snack gets me excited for it and prevents binging or eating things I really shouldn't that late at night.

Good luck!