Stressed about going out for dinner!

Options
My husband just came home and informed me that he was talking to some friends of ours whom we haven't seen in years. He made plans for us to have dinner with them on February 26th. Now, normally this wouldn't phase me, but because I am so focused on weight loss I feel like I don't even want to go. My mind is reeling, trying to think up an excuse of why we can't possibly go. I know that I can't allow my focus control my life, but I don't know how. Anyone feel this way? What do you do to get over your anxiety?

Replies

• aippolito1
    aippolito1 Posts: 4,894 Member
    Options
    Do you know where you're going? A lot of chain places have their nutrition online...plan your meal or just stick to the basics: lean protein and veggies, minimal carbs. Grilled chicken & steamed veggies... stay away from corn as it's high in sugar and potatoes because it's usually loaded with butter and salt. You can do it!!
  • spacecase76
    spacecase76 Posts: 673 Member
    Options
    calm down. The best thing you can do is PLAN!. Look up the restaurant online and see if they have their nutrition info posted. Pick out what you can / will allow yourself to have, that way you have a plan in place for when the big night comes! You will do fine!
  • dccongdon
    Options
    I feel this way all the time. Every day I feel as if I cannot go out of the house. I have broken many an engagement because my pants are just too tight. So when I have to go, I make certain that I am dressed as attractively as I can, and never mention I have gained weight. Why bring attention to the fact? It is evident. I have thought many times over that after their initial shock at my weight gain, it matters not. I am who I am and I am working on it. At least I am thinking about working on it. Bite the bullet, be nervous but you must go. Opting out means you will head for the kitchen in your disappointment in yourself. Not a good idea.
  • sweetie89207
    Options
    it wont be that bad...just prepare before hand- find something healthy on their menu and have that planned to eat...and you could even eat something before u go and then only eat half of what u order! then u will enjoy the company and still watch the cals
  • gentlebreeze2
    gentlebreeze2 Posts: 450 Member
    Options
    When I go out to dinner... I only eat half, and take the other half home for another meal. I still get to eat it all, but that strategy has really worked for me.
  • 0flynnstone0
    Options
    I know how you feel...I feel the same way when my friends want to go downtown and drink. I hate being the sober Sue, but I shudder at the calories in a beer or cocktail.
    Just make it about moderation. Order water or tea to drink, and make sure you don't finish your plate. Restaurant servings are huge compared to what a real serving should be, so make a promise to yourself to only eat half your plate or something like that.
  • themommie
    themommie Posts: 5,023 Member
    Options
    I still go out but I plan ahead. I think planning ahead is the best thing you can do. Look up several restraunt choices online, check out their nutritional facts. Decide what you are having when you are at home and are full. Either dont look at the menu or just glance at it not really reading it, so that you dont change your mind. You may also want to order first that way you wont be tempted to order what everyone else is ordering. And if the portions are too big, dont eat it all. You can leave it or take it home for tomorrows lunch. This has worked great for me. I still go out and have lost 57 lbs since july. I hope this helped. ENJOY
  • thammond46
    Options
    Go out to dinner, enjoy yourself !!! Your goals should be a life style change not a temporary quick fix ... i.e. a diet. The research the restaurant early suggestion is a great suggestion as well as eat 1/2 the meal and bag the rest. I have been "obnoxious" enough to ask for menu's with dietary information, I even ask them to put butter and dressing on the side etc. At the end of the day going out to eat is something you will probably have to do again, so develop a strategy that you can use forth planned and unplanned dining out. If worse comes to worse, one day of going a bit over on calories will not be a game breaker, do a little extra exercise the next day.
  • spacecase76
    spacecase76 Posts: 673 Member
    Options
    I hate being the sober Sue, but I shudder at the calories in a beer or cocktail.

Not all beer is high in calories, and most bar / restaurants do the "skinny" drinks now. I saw margaritas with only 100 calories the other day (at Applebee's, I believe), and Michelob Ultra and Miller Lite only have 96 cals / 12 ounce bottle.
  • cbirdso
    cbirdso Posts: 465 Member
    Options
    I know exactly how you feel. When I had been losing weight at first, I didn't want anything to derail my progress. I was fine on my own, but unplanned meals and eating out where I couldn't control the food and also didn't want to disappoint anyone or appear picky in public was something I dreaded. Well, as you know, some of these 'public food fests' are not avoidable and you just do the best you can. Afterward, I analyzed what I ate (but didn't record it on MFP!!!) and made plans on how I could do differently next time to create a different outcome because I would be faced with these situations the rest of my life.

The good news is that I didn't let these situations derail the progress I had gained when I was on my own and they didn't derail my weight loss by much because I would get right back on track the next day. The other good news is that I felt really good about myself that I took a negative situation that had been a contributor to my weight gain and didn't let it stop my progress. The OTHER good news is that I learned to enjoy myself at these types of functions AND to make little changes where they are no longer a threat to my calorie goals.

I really believe you can turn these types of challenges into success for yourself, too. I have seen this sentence on MFP a lot and it is really true. If I could do it, you can too. :happy:
  • xomakaxo
    xomakaxo Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    I went out to dinner tonight at our local brewery, and here's what I did:

Without really meaning to, I had a protein-rich but calorie-light breakfast and lunch. (A protein bar, a light bottled coffee, a smartones meal, a light yoplait yogurt, water). I also walked a bit extra at work, and wore my toning shoes-- whether or not they work, they motivate me to move more because I'm conscious that I'm wearing them (I'm a salesperson).

By eating lighter throughout the day, I was able to allow myself more "room" for dinner, and even a light dessert! Since I know what I usually get at the restaurant, I planned my meal and even put it in my food diary before we left the house. That way I couldn't change my mind once I got there if I was tempted to get fatty food or a huge soda. I got a grilled chicken sandwich (lettuce, tomato, pickle), no condiments or cheese, with a green salad (dressing on the SIDE so I could use only what I needed). I drank water-- with a straw-- it helps you drink more, feeling fuller.

Afterwards, we went out to an ice cream shop. I asked if they had frozen yogurt or lowfat options (no), so I got a small cup (not a cone, save the calories) to go, and ate half of it on the walk home. I realized when we got home that she had served me a full cup (compared it to a measuring cup), so I stopped halfway and froze the rest.

Moral of the story? I track my calories diligently and watch portion sizes. It helps that my job is fairly active, but we also made healthy choices: walking the town instead of driving, getting a salad instead of fries, a water instead of soda or beer. If you are unsure of how a certain meal is served, ask the waitstaff ("Are the vegetables covered in butter or anything?" "Do you have light dressing?" "Can I substitute the [fatty-fat stuff] for a side of [veggie goodness]?")! Waiters/waitresses want to help you eat food you want, and may even be able to point you to a lowfat/low-cal menu that you haven't seen. As others have mentioned, many restaurants also have their nutrition information available on their websites or in-house, so you can choose wisely and not be surprised later. :) Hope this helps! Good luck!