Success trusting the calorie Counters and eating all the cal

Options
dothompson
dothompson Posts: 1,184 Member
Are any of you having consistent success using the numbers in the excercise logs and eating all the calories. I'm new to mfp and finding it hard to feel confident about this system, but maybe this is the loudmouth insecure fat guy inside me who doesn't want to change talking.

Replies

• dothompson
    Options
    Are any of you having consistent success using the numbers in the excercise logs and eating all the calories. I'm new to mfp and finding it hard to feel confident about this system, but maybe this is the loudmouth insecure fat guy inside me who doesn't want to change talking.
  • PrincessLaundry
    PrincessLaundry Posts: 2,758 Member
    Options

I'm doing better now that I listened to the rest of the MFP planet and started eating more...I'm bumping the 700 calorie post for you...Have you checked it out yet? Other than the 185 part, it was absolutely me. :cry:
  • amandat_79
    amandat_79 Posts: 221 Member
    Options
    I know how you feel. Although I have been losing the weight just the way I want to, I sometimes think that by eating all of the calories that I'm allowed it's just too easy - as if doing this should be a huge challenge as it was any time I've gone on a 'diet'. I feel so much more satisfied than I did all the other times I've tried to lose weight.

But, that's why I LOVE this place. I'm doing a lot better than I did on any 'diet' and I'm actually learning to eat in a way that I can live with for the rest of my life. I'm teaching myself that this is a lifestyle change and this site is the perfect place to do that without feeling like I'm missing out. I may be losing weight but I'm gaining so much more.
  • lotusfromthemud
    lotusfromthemud Posts: 5,335 Member
    Options
    I purchased a heart rate monitor, and discovered that for me, with a few exceptions, the numbers here were pretty accurate.

An important caveat is to recognize your level of intensity. We often think we're working harder than we are, so I avoid the adjective in the database: "vigorous".

Everyone is different, but the numbers are pretty trustworthy. . .until you get a HRM, it's a good system to stick with.

I think that we're so trained in this society to think diet=starving/deprivation and it just doesn't when you do it this very smart way.
  • briblue72
    briblue72 Posts: 672 Member
    Options
    I would consider myself a MFP success to date. I jumped into this with reckless blind faith and have been losing steadily ever since. I, too, avoid the "vigorous" exercise category, and I usually overestimate food portions if they're not measured by me and underestimate time spent exercising, just to be safe.

I also don't consider normal activities exercise - i.e. grocery shopping does not count as a walk, i don't log house work, etc. The way I look at it, if I was doing it before and was gaining weight, it must not have been "exercise".

GOOD LUCK! :flowerforyou:
  • mommyskis
    mommyskis Posts: 277 Member
    Options
    I don't have a HRM, so I trusted all the numbers of the exercise and food logs and I hit my goal and am now maintaining, so I think they are pretty close to accurate. As mentioned before, don't overestimate your activity level. If I'm not sure, I go with the lower intensity. Good luck!
  • shorerider
    shorerider Posts: 3,817 Member
    Options
    I also don't consider normal activities exercise - i.e. grocery shopping does not count as a walk, i don't log house work, etc. The way I look at it, if I was doing it before and was gaining weight, it must not have been "exercise".

Good point!
  • dothompson
    Options
    Thanks, this helps.
  • vldowd
    vldowd Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    I have found that the numbers are somewhat close to what the HRM states. I have my activity level set as sedentary since their are days I work 12 hours sitting at a computer. I do include the shopping, cleaning, gardening and cooking as exercise. I have regularly lost between 2-3 lbs a week since joining. I am considered as Obese so this might also be something to factor in.
  • CuteDove
    CuteDove Posts: 49
    Options

I'm doing better now that I listened to the rest of the MFP planet and started eating more...I'm bumping the 700 calorie post for you...Have you checked it out yet? Other than the 185 part, it was absolutely me. :cry:

what do u mean????????
    didnt get it:huh: