The Harcombe Diet

Options
I am thinking of giving the Harcombe diet a try. It looks pretty basic. If anyone has tried this diet and has some advice. I am all ears.

I have been about 50 lbs over weight for two years. I recently went to the Cities with my girlfriends and had to stand by and watch them shop many of the stores because of my size. Since Jan, I've lost about 10 lbs but I want to kick this into high gear. When I Googled "fast and easy weight loss" the Harcombe diet came up.

It is broken into 3 phases and the first phase does not allow caffeine or alcohol. No coffee and no diet Dew may make my head explode, but I have got to make some serious changes. Keeping my calories to 1,200/day just is not doing it

-- Linda

Replies

• morganadk2_deleted
    morganadk2_deleted Posts: 1,696 Member
    Options
    Congratulations on your 10lb lose :smile:

not a great believer in "fast and easy weight loss" as if it comes off fast, in my experience , when you go back to eating normaly you put it back on plus some more !

healthy eating and changing your life style one step at a time is far better !

Also with 50lbs to lose i think 1200 is to low , read this it might help .

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/61706-guide-to-calorie-deficit

Generally someone with a BMI over 32 can do a 1000 calorie a day (2 lbs a week) deficit
    With a BMI of 30 to 32 a deficit of 750 calories is generally correct (about 1.5 lbs a week)
    With a BMI of 28 to 30 a deficit of 500 calories is about right (about 1 lb a week)
    With a BMI of 26 to 28 a deficit of about 300 calories is perfect (about 1/2 lb a week)
    and below 26... well this is where we get fuzzy. See now you're no longer talking about being overweight, so while it's still ok to have a small deficit, you really should shift your focus more towards muscle tone, and reducing fat. This means is EXTRA important to eat your exercise calories as your body needs to KNOW it's ok to burn fat stores, and the only way it will know is if you keep giving it the calories it needs to not enter the famine response (starvation mode)

Good luck on your journey whatever you decide to do !