Frustrated!!!

Options
I'm hoping that getting this off my chest will help me to move on get back into this lifestyle change full force.
January 1 of this year, a few of the girls at work and I started a friendly weight loss challenge. To date, I'm down 7 lbs. I'm noticing it a little in my clothes, which is very exciting, but I'm hitting the bored stage. I honestly don't think I've stuck to it for this long a period, so I'm very proud of myself for that as well! I've started playing a little game with myself, that since I've made it this long and doing good as far as the weight loss, that I owe it to myself to at least finish out this week. We do Monday weigh-in's, which help keep us accountable over the weekends, and when I weigh in Monday morning, I'm usually down, 1/2 lb if not more, which keeps me going for another week.

This week, I'm really struggling. I'm tired, and overall I think I'm just bored. BUT....I can do this. I WILL do this!!! :)

Replies

• morganadk2_deleted
    morganadk2_deleted Posts: 1,696 Member
    Options
    Are you eating enough?

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/61706-guide-to-calorie-deficit

Generally someone with a BMI over 32 can do a 1000 calorie a day (2 lbs a week) deficit
    With a BMI of 30 to 32 a deficit of 750 calories is generally correct (about 1.5 lbs a week)
    With a BMI of 28 to 30 a deficit of 500 calories is about right (about 1 lb a week)
    With a BMI of 26 to 28 a deficit of about 300 calories is perfect (about 1/2 lb a week)
    and below 26... well this is where we get fuzzy. See now you're no longer talking about being overweight, so while it's still ok to have a small deficit, you really should shift your focus more towards muscle tone, and reducing fat. This means is EXTRA important to eat your exercise calories as your body needs to KNOW it's ok to burn fat stores, and the only way it will know is if you keep giving it the calories it needs to not enter the famine response (starvation mode)

Good luck on your journey whatever you decide to do !
  • carrolladrienne
    carrolladrienne Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    What a great post !
  • faithikins
    faithikins Posts: 679 Member
    Options
    I found finding a new workout regime helps. I'm in the same boat yet with only 4 lbs lost! I started Dec 29 I think and was doing treadmill and strength training at home. I am now going to try the Insanity workouts for something new and challenging! This I will also be doing at home but starting something different has me excited. I also want to give the hip hop abs workout a go. I love dancing, and it will make it much more fun to workout.
  • hemlock2010
    hemlock2010 Posts: 422 Member
    Options
    I had that feeling on Monday. I was down a pound since my last weigh-in (which should have been rewarding and re-motivating, right?), but somehow I couldn't feel it. I was just so bored with counting calories and not eating when I want to eat.

For me that's always been the death of a diet--when I lose interest in pounds down--because then there's nothing to make me go on. But this time I have a bunch of fitness goals that matter way more to me than my body size or what I look like. Sure I'd like to be thinner and prettier, but I'm so used to being a frumpy old lady that I can't even really imagine what I would do with pretty.

But my mom is in the process of dieing slowly and painfully of old age, and as much as I hate it for her, I'm terrified of that for myself. So maybe the diet is not all that big a deal, but exercise is now a HUGE part of my life. And once I've exercised for a day, then I'm more likely to be able to count calories for the rest of that day.

So what do you want badly enough to be worth the trouble? :-)
  • clahut
    clahut Posts: 211 Member
    Options
    Personally, I think more than half the battle is finding things that you really enjoy eating that don't feel like 'diet food' - then it is easier to stay on track.

For example, I made a great risotto on Monday night for 372 cals and my OH couldn't tell the difference between my low recipe and the higher fat one I used to make.

If your 'diet food' is boring, then of course you'll crave pizza, etc. :smile:
  • BigBoneSista
    BigBoneSista Posts: 2,389 Member
    Options
    Switch up your regimen. Living healthier shouldn't feel like a chore. The food should taste good, the exercise should get you pumped and overall you should be feeling good physically. So now its time to get proactive. Look over what you do on a daily basis and make adjustments.
  • kwardklinck
    kwardklinck Posts: 1,601
    Options
    When I get bored with my food and my exercise, I make some changes. You have to focus on the long term. Pull out some old pants you'd like to fit back into and keep them out. Try them on every week until they fit. I think the biggest motivator for me was getting into all my old skinny clothes. I realized that the effort was definitely worth the outcome.
  • luv2ash
    luv2ash Posts: 1,903 Member
    Options
    Bored? thats interesting......what would you do before your healthy lifestyle change to not be bored? A lifestyle change should not bore you---you just need to make some changes

Eating any kind of food has never been a thrill ride for me, because if it were unhealthy food, I always ate it knowing I should be eating it---so no thrill ride there. Today, I eat food and I know I am doing the right thing, maybe it is boring, but I never thought of it like that----

I guess I am just trying to get you to think more about your lifestyle change and compare the way it was before and the way it is now.
  • JD92
    JD92 Posts: 253 Member
    Options
    when I get bored, i allow myself a little treat. :smile: like today, i had a Twix Fino (188cals) during a lecture. i barely have sweeties anymore, i think the last was a random Freddo bar a friend tossed at me on monday, then a small bag of Reeses Pieces last friday. compared to how i was before, this is barely anything at all!

because im so used to not having sweets, i enjoy it more when i do.

aswell, if you get bored, change the food you eat every day or every other day. i used to eat the same things everyday when i dieted and those attempts always failed! shake it up a little. :)