Snack before morning workouts?

Options
I'm a morning runner because I have to work 2nd shift. I normally get to run as soon as I get out of bed. I can't seem to stomach my usual oatmeal or cereal before my run. Anyone have suggestions on what snacks I can/should eat just for a smidge of energy? I haven't started running long distances yet (in the beginning stages of 10K training). I only run about 1-2 miles a day right now thanks to a knee injury, but I feel like I'm starving by the end of my runs. Help!

Replies

• LBATL
    LBATL Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    I always eat a banana or other whole fruit before a morning workout. I am an oatmeal girl myself but its way too filling before a workout. After I workout I like something thats high in protein - usually greek yogurt because it doesn't require me to cook anything :laugh:
  • CMcBryer
    CMcBryer Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    Many different supplement companies make a simple/complex carb powder that you mix with water to give you the energy you need for morning exercise. Twinlabs Ultra Fuel is what I use during my P90X workouts. 100 calories per scoop mixed with the water you'd normally drink while exercising. Easy to stomach and a good source of carbs for quick morning energy. Good luck!
  • tryingtobefit
    Options
    You might try a protien bar or granola bar about fifteen minutes before you start. Gives it a little time to settle and set in.Its not too heavy on the stomach, but keeps you from getting that sick feeling when you've been up a while and not eaten yet!
  • nukehiker
    Options
    I normally just have a little peanut butter. I think 1 serving is like 2 tablespoons. enough to get the edge off before your work out. good luck !!
  • MandaLee8908
    MandaLee8908 Posts: 1,353 Member
    Options
    Thanks for your suggestions!