Jiggly arms

Options
So I have managed to lose 40lbs but I am seeing little results to my arms. In particular, the flappy part that waves when you wave your hand.. lol.

I have tried using 10lb weights to help this, even doubling them up to make it 20lbs but I am curious if there are specific exercises or regimens I can use to help get rid of this flab? I am hoping to purchase a strapless wedding gown in the coming months and would feel much more confident if I could work on this part of my body for my big day!

Thanks friends :glasses: :flowerforyou:

Replies

• mixmastermolly
    Options
    This is my problem area, too!
  • merrillfoster
    merrillfoster Posts: 855 Member
    Options
    Tricep dips?
  • jen31889
    jen31889 Posts: 121
    Options
    I don't know if you go to the gym, but there is an exercise that you pull a split rope down, then apart. It really works the back of your arms. Otherwise, you could try tricep dips.
  • WeightLossTrek
    Options
    From what I know, you have to increase your muscle size and decrease your body fat %. The combination will solve this problem. Also remember your triceps make up 2/3 of your upper arms.
  • Miss_Chievous_wechange
    Options
    There are a lot of strength training exercises you can do to build muscle in that area. Unfortunately, I do not know the technical name for the exercises. However, if you google or Youtube it, you will most likely find lots of exercises ideal for you.
  • EbonyGemstoneHealth
    Options
    I do assisted tricep dips,and a tricep rope pushdowns,I also have the jiggly arms,they embarrass me,but I can't wait until they tone up!
  • luv2ash
    luv2ash Posts: 1,903 Member
    Options
    I think most people suffer from this. Since I have lost all my weight, I have this problem BAD!!! mostly loose skin, not fat. Trying to fill the skin up with muscle, but there is a lot, and I don't want to look like the hulk. I would much rather have my loose skin than to be carrying around almost 80 pounds.
  • Caper88
    Caper88 Posts: 418 Member
    Options
    http://www.bodybuilding.com/exercises/detail/view/name/cable-rope-overhead-triceps-extension

I do this but with hand weights instead of the pulley system he is using. You can do one arm at a time or both together.
  • mawill01
    mawill01 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I was watching America Now on tv before Christmas and they tested the Shake Weight. It actually does work. The woman who tested it on the show lost inches off her arms in I think 30 days (or maybe 2 weeks, I'm not sure). The process may be slow but you can try it. I got one for Christmas but I haven't tried it yet. Good luck!
  • Amanda421
    Amanda421 Posts: 261 Member
    Options
    push ups and dips always seem to help tone up that area on me.
  • tdixon00
    Options
    This is a common problem, all of my friends complain about it. Just keep up the arm exercises but don't get too frustrated because a lot of that is probably relaxed muscle since you have been working out so much. Plus, even my friend who is built like a twig jokes about her "second wave", the more you work your arms, the more progress there will be. Good luck! Let me know if you get there, cause I've started to doubt I'll ever loose the jiggley arm completely
  • harley0269
    harley0269 Posts: 384 Member
    Options
    i just saw my physical therapist yesterday & asked about the same thing.
    he told me to do whats called a "dumbell kickback for the triceps".
    heres a link to see it.
    http://www.shapefit.com/triceps-exercises-tricep-dumbell-kickbacks.html
    i just started doing it with my 3 lb weights, & boy do i feel it!
    good luck!
  • dalbers
    Options
    You cannot spot reduce fat. Target fat reduction by exercise is a marketting myth invented to sell fitness products.

You can lose fat only systemically.

I know this is not the news you want but it is honest.

On a lady, this is a stubborn zone, much like the belly on men. It will be one of the last places you lose fat. You need to get down to a flat tummy and this will start to come off a lot at that point.

Continue with general weight loss plans. Dips, 10 pound tricep extensions, etc... are great strength builders, but will not target reduce fat on the triceps because fat loss is a systemic process, not an isolated one.

Once you get down to a low body fat, your arms will tighten right up.

A quick search on google for "Spot reducing fat" will reveal oodles on info on the fallicy of this myth.

Here is one quote:

But, here's the rub about spot reducing: you have no control over where the body takes that fat from. Cortisol may aid in releasing those fat deposits and breaking down those bonds, but it isn't targeted. There is, currently, no spot reducing technology that will remove local fat deposits from any part of the body except mechanical removal, such as in liposuction

The source:

http://www.busywomensfitness.com/spotreducing.html
  • lesliemk
    lesliemk Posts: 382 Member
    Options
    Yep, triceps. It's a trouble spot for so many women. ChaLEAN Extreme has been awesome for my arms though--I actually can't wait to sport tanks this summer!
  • Katybun3
    Katybun3 Posts: 172
    Options
    I'm doing pilates using a resistance band. Just started so hope it works. PS where did you get those cute animations :0)
  • clioandboy
    clioandboy Posts: 963 Member
    Options
    Hi there I am about to turn 45 and have lost over 40lbs too but I dont have batwings or bingo wings I am very pleased to be able to say! I think it is due to the 100 push up challenge, I will never do 100 in a row but i just keep doing weeks 4,5 and 6 and my arms have transformed!!!! I do run and cycle too but i dont think they do much for my arms, havent swam for a while but that too has to help, give the pust ups a go the web site is google able, and the app is fab, good luck!
  • Bditbobcat
    Bditbobcat Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    You cannot spot reduce fat. Target fat reduction by exercise is a marketting myth invented to sell fitness products.

You can lose fat only systemically.

I know this is not the news you want but it is honest.

On a lady, this is a stubborn zone, much like the belly on men. It will be one of the last places you lose fat. You need to get down to a flat tummy and this will start to come off a lot at that point.

Continue with general weight loss plans. Dips, 10 pound tricep extensions, etc... are great strength builders, but will not target reduce fat on the triceps because fat loss is a systemic process, not an isolated one.

Once you get down to a low body fat, your arms will tighten right up.

A quick search on google for "Spot reducing fat" will reveal oodles on info on the fallicy of this myth.

Here is one quote:

But, here's the rub about spot reducing: you have no control over where the body takes that fat from. Cortisol may aid in releasing those fat deposits and breaking down those bonds, but it isn't targeted. There is, currently, no spot reducing technology that will remove local fat deposits from any part of the body except mechanical removal, such as in liposuction

The source:

http://www.busywomensfitness.com/spotreducing.html

This is so true. Thanks for posting this, more of us women need to realize this. It is a hard pill to swallow but the research does not lie.
  • ubermama
    Options
    Thank you, dalbers, for the enlightened post! I really appreciate that information. I also appreciate the other posts about the exercises that work the arms. I will Google them and see if I can get some YouTube demonstrations.

My problem is that I have been morbidly obese for half my life. My arms are deflating as the fat is metabolized, but the skin remains. I don't think any amount of exercise is going to tighten my skin. I will lose fat, and I will build muscle, but eventually I do believe I will have to have the skin surgically removed from my arms and abdomen. I'm not sure about my legs yet; they haven't deflated as much as my arms and belly have. I don't know what my highest weight was, but I wore size 26 and I am 5' 5" tall. I suspect it was between 320-330 and now I weigh about 268. I wear some 18s and mostly 20s. My batwings are pretty bad. Oh and whoever said "bingo wings" that made me LOL!
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,248 Member
    Options
    I may be wrong, but I think I remember hearing that for women's arms, the best is low weights and a lot of reps. Trade the 10 pounders for 5s and do twice as many.
  • dalbers
    Options
    It is possible you will need surgery if you have been obese a long time and the skin hangs.

However, we also regrow skin cells and they do die off and get replaced. So over time they shold come in a little. Continue with exercise and good nutrition especially, as good nutrition gives you healthier skin!

There are stories about people that have avoided surgery by getting extremely low bodyfat, and the skin, at that point, basically sucks right up to the body. I seriously doubt that is how you wish to look either.

For me, I know I will have a little extra skin at the belly, I can see it forming even now. I am OK with that so long as I can still pick up 450+ pounds on a whim, and run 5 miles just cause I feel like it LOL