Calories Consumed vs. exercise

Options
Okay I fell like I've had a really good day today. I ate 1560 calories (every 2 hours a meal or a snack.) but ended up doing a couple different workout things, so I burned 596 in calories. The little note below says I didn't eat more than 1200 calories and that could throw my body into starvation mode. I did eat enough and don't feel hungry........suprisingly........ but isn't that the plan to work out.
I understand the calculation, but why is that bad?

Replies

• babsybaby
    Options
    Okay I fell like I've had a really good day today. I ate 1560 calories (every 2 hours a meal or a snack.) but ended up doing a couple different workout things, so I burned 596 in calories. The little note below says I didn't eat more than 1200 calories and that could throw my body into starvation mode. I did eat enough and don't feel hungry........suprisingly........ but isn't that the plan to work out.
    I understand the calculation, but why is that bad?
  • banks1850
    banks1850 Posts: 3,475 Member
    Options
    babsy,

I know sometimes it's hard, but yes, calories you earn via working out, count towards
    your total calories, some of the things you are doing will help to fight off starvation
    mode, I.E. small meals througout the day is probably the best way (besides just getting enough).
    What you need to remember is, as your body works out more, it becomes more efficient,
    requireing more energy. Even though you may not feel hungry (which is a great step by the way), if you don't have enough calories, your body will start to shut itself down.
    Last week's biggest loser (or maybe 2 weeks ago), was a great one for this. The contestant named Brian was doing something similar to what you are doing.
  • Furpaws
    Options
    babsy,

I know sometimes it's hard, but yes, calories you earn via working out, count towards
    your total calories, some of the things you are doing will help to fight off starvation
    mode, I.E. small meals througout the day is probably the best way (besides just getting enough).
    What you need to remember is, as your body works out more, it becomes more efficient,
    requireing more energy. Even though you may not feel hungry (which is a great step by the way), if you don't have enough calories, your body will start to shut itself down.
    Last week's biggest loser (or maybe 2 weeks ago), was a great one for this. The contestant named Brian was doing something similar to what you are doing.

This doesn't make sense to me. I thought the trick to losing weight is to burn more calories than you consume. So if we're eating the calories we just burned, doesn't that cancel out the advantage of exercise?

I've been logging my meals and exercise here for nearly a month, and I've GAINED two pounds. And I think its because I'm eating the calories I burned. So starting this morning, I reset my goals: total "net" calories 1400, C 45%, P 30%, F 25% - and i'm not logging exercise. I raised my calories up to 1400 from 1200 so I don't go in "starvation mode" on the days I work out. Otherwise if I enter today's workout: I jogged 40 minutes this morning and then raked leaves for an hour, my calories to consume will be over 2000!
  • babsybaby
    Options
    see that is what I was thinking. Like those biggest losers, they must just workout all day for some of them to drop 12 in a week.
    Not that I agree and we all know it's the slow road that pays off, but there is no way you can eat that many calories if you keep burning them.
    NOw don't get me wrong, I'm the biggest loser when it comes to sticking to a program, however I'm am totally feeling like this is it, I'm really sticking to it this time. I swear I'm constantly having to eat something with the snacks and all, I hop on my bike for 20 minute shots here and there. So how can I be going into starvation mode.
    We've all hear it a thousand times eat less, exercise more?
  • oldandbroke
    Options
    I had this problem too and tried to ignore the "eat more to make up for the exercise" part. It worked for two weeks and then I did end up in starvation mode and actually gained a little fat. I took the easy way out and started eating more and it got me back on track. I got to where I was starving to death all day. I was hungry after I got done eating. I couldn't even make it three hours to the next meal. Once I started eating more it got better. I also started with a much bigger breakfast and put most of my daily carb limit in it. The rest of the day I tried to have only the low GI carbs with as much fiber as possible. I really do feel better all day now and can make it three hours without a meal.

I don't believe we should think eat less exercise more. It should be eat RIGHT exercise more. Both things are healthy and will help us live better longer. That's why I am here.

What we are attempting to do is trick out bodies into giving up the fat and to quit storing it for us. If we feed it properly it will do that. The calorie count is not an exact science for us. I never know exactly how many calories are in something unless I eat the whole box and use the info on the box. Not all apples are the same. Same with calories burned you can never know in the real world how many you burned mowing the lawn. You just have to adjust up your calories and play it week to week. I know you should never be miserably hungry all day like I was. That's why I said I couldn't go with the not weighing myself group. There are too many variables and I need the feedback in both the scale and my new buddy the fat caliper.

Good luck and don't give up. Experiment with your diet until it works for you:drinker: