weightloss + calories

Options
okay so i'm eating 1200 calories (750calorie deficit with my BMR) and i'm burning around 250-300calories a day (nearlly every day) will i lose weight even though i'm not eating completely healthy. or do have to eat nothing but healthy meals? also i never go over my fat, sugar or protein intake.

my main 'bad foods' are packets of chips, deep fried chicks, big steaks, chocolate and the occasional desert. also i don't eat bad all day every day, just every second or third day.

i really need to know because i don't want to find out that it doesn't actually matter about calories but actually about healthy food.

Replies

• erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    weight loss boils down to calories in vs calories out. So you can lose weight eating nothing but Twinkies. That being said it should not just be about weight loss but health. And no you cannot be healthy eating crap all the time.
  • NikkiJ17
    NikkiJ17 Posts: 295
    Options
    No answers for you but am interested to see what everyone else says.
  • AbbyCar
    AbbyCar Posts: 198 Member
    Options
    Calories are calories. So whether you get them from salad or fried chicken, it shouldn't matter. However, if you consistently it "bad foods" you may find that you don't have the energy for your workouts.
    Moderation may be the key. I don't think eating "bad foods" every few days is really that big of a deal.
  • Terri73
    Terri73 Posts: 238
    Options
    Not that it works for all but i lost weight last year and i not only lost weight through calorie counting and exercise but i still ate everything i wanted as long as it was within my allowance. Which included crisps chocolate etc the only thing i changed was the amount. I find that stopping all the things you love suddenly the more you want them and are more likely to binge.
  • iplayoutside19
    iplayoutside19 Posts: 2,304 Member
    Options
    Not that it works for all but i lost weight last year and i not only lost weight through calorie counting and exercise but i still ate everything i wanted as long as it was within my allowance. Which included crisps chocolate etc the only thing i changed was the amount. I find that stopping all the things you love suddenly the more you want them and are more likely to binge.

That's pretty much what I did. I threw out a few things like regular soda, and made some things once every 6 months, like a big plate of chicken wings. But other than that....just smaller portions.
  • MissLadyInWaiting
    Options
    good, because everything i have ever read says that whatever you do during your weightloss you have to continue to keep the weight off. and honestly i can't live on nothing but fruit, veggies, chicken, fish cause i really do enjoy my 'treats'.

i have just been so worried that i'm not going to lose weight because i'm eating bad foods even though im under my calorie goal.
  • kdiamond
    kdiamond Posts: 3,329 Member
    Options
    Nothing should be seen as "bad" - that just sets you up for unhealthy behavior. I believe in everything in moderation...however if you're eating junk food every other day that is probably not the way to begin a healthy lifestyle. I like to follow the 90/10 rule...90% natural, healthy and unprocessed, and 10% whatever I am craving...which over time becomes less and less. Now my 10% is oatmeal or greek yogurt! I follow Paleo so I stay away from grains and dairy most of the time. :)
  • kevanos
    kevanos Posts: 304 Member
    Options
    Its all about moderation.

don`t deny yourself the pleasures of life, but don`t overindulge in them either.

If you eat well and exercise, you can afford to have bad meal or 2 every week.
  • Terri73
    Terri73 Posts: 238
    Options

That's pretty much what I did. I threw out a few things like regular soda, and made some things once every 6 months, like a big plate of chicken wings. But other than that....just smaller portions.

And you do get to a point where you actually realise that you really dont need that chocolate bar or that packet of crisps or that cake etc
    I have sitting in my fridge one huge chocolate bar and instead of eating the whole lot in one go like id used to i have one (two now and again) chunks and its great as im not saying ooohh no must not eat chocolate!! also shows the willpower to have it there and not eat it all!!!
  • MissLadyInWaiting
    Options
    well it's just that it's really hard for me to hang out with my friends at parties and not drink or snack because they aren't good. and lately i have had NO food in my cupboards except meat and chips so i have had to eat bad but just tried hard to stick to 1200calories only. i just really don't want to have another week where i have put on weight or lost nothing.