Low impact exercise?

Options
I need some help! I have been working out for the past month...started out doing the 30 day shred...got shin splints VERY QUICKLY, and resorted to the elliptical (I have one at home). The elliptical has helped...shin splints are gone and I am noticing a HUGE increase in my endurance and the fact that it takes a lot more work to get my heart rate up to my optimum rate. However, I am getting bored with it. I do it between 30 and 45 minutes every night. It burns around 330 calories for 30 minutes (I have an HRM that calculates it). I tried to go for a run on Saturday, but my legs hurt so bad afterwards (shin splints again!) I know that my shins are hurting because of the extra weight and that when I lose some I can probably try the higher impact again. But until then, does anyone have any suggestions for a low-impact, high calorie burning exercise I can do at home? I need to get a little variety in so I don't get bored and give up. I've lost almost 12 pounds in 5 weeks and want it to keep going. Any help is appreciated!

Replies

• morganadk2_deleted
    morganadk2_deleted Posts: 1,696 Member
    Options
    swimming? cycling? walking
  • TheNewJessieMae
    Options
    Swimming is an awesome burn!
  • newnhealthierme2011
    Options
    Zumba is fun and it doesn't feel like your working out so that makes it even better:)
  • tmcowan
    tmcowan Posts: 322 Member
    Options
    Are you wearing the right shoes for running?? This could be some of the cause of the shin splints. If you have been fitted at a running store for shoes, it may be worth the trip.
  • Shamrock40
    Options
    I'm in the same boat. I've got achilles tendonitis and was told to stop high-impact exercise or risk rupturing my achilles tendon. My Dr. suggested swimming, recumbant bike or the elliptical, but not so much of that. Yoga or walking were also suggestions. I'm like you, I would prefer to work out at home than join a gym, and have kind of fallen off the exercise wagon after a couple of weeks of bad flu and sickness. I'm still doing ok on the weight loss by keeping under my calorie goals every day, but I feel like a slug.

I think I'm going to have to buy a piece of used sports equipment like a recumbant bike or something, and then add walking and yoga in there for now. I stay at home with my kids and they go to school, but my little one only goes for 2.5 hours and I have about 1.5 hours from the time I drop him off to the time I have to pick my older one up. I feel like I would spend all my time rushing back and forth to the gym and school and I'd be cutting it too close if I joined a gym for now. I'm still trying to figure it out, as I think swimming is the only low-impact exercise that will burn a lot of calories.
  • slaos07
    slaos07 Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    @tmcowan - yes, I visited a local running shop where they analyzed my gait and fitted me properly for running shoes. They help with the elliptical, but not the other exercise. I was an athelete in high school (11 years ago - gasp!) and was fine then. But I haven't worked out in years and started this journey at 190 lbs on my 5'2" frame. So I know my body just can't handle the weight with high impact right now.

I would love to swim, but that would involve joining a gym, which, with work and my 2 year old, just isn't feasible. I usually work out after he goes to bed at 8:30 at night. I just got an XBox Kinect...so I might try the Zumba DVD's. Thanks for all of the input!
  • slaos07
    slaos07 Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    @Shamrock40 - I hadn't thought about a bike. I might look into the used stores like you suggested and see if I can find one. I just need something to break up the monotony (spelling??) so that I don't give up like I have in the past. Right now I'm seeing results so I keep going, but I'm afraid that if I plateau I will get discouraged and give up. Thanks for the suggestions!
  • iplayoutside19
    iplayoutside19 Posts: 2,304 Member
    Options
    Like you I was an athlete in HS. I knew what to do, and some what how to do it. When I started at 336 lbs I knew running would blow out a knee. I walked for 9 months before attempting to jog for any length of time. Even then I started slow with Couch-to-5K.

I thought swimming initially when I read your subject. But from experience access to a pool isn't the most convienent or feasable.

I know my wife, who hates to run, really enjoys Zumba and Wii Fit. I'm not sure what is out there for an Xbox but it might be worth looking into. Bike is good too. Check out freecycle.com to see if someone wants to get rid of theirs.