A treasure trove!!!!

Options
msarro
msarro Posts: 2,748 Member
So, I was channel surfing this afternoon and I happened upon fitTV. Apparently it goes hand in hand with Discovery Health. There is a show called "Healthy Decadence" with a TON of awesome, and healthy recipes.

http://health.discovery.com/fansites/devin-alexander/recipes/index.html

The recipes on todays episode were:

Muscle-Packing Meatloaf

Ingredients:
olive oil spray
2/3 cups old fashioned oats
1/2 cup fat free milk
1 egg white, lightly beaten
1-1/2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
1/2 cup minced carrots
1/3 cup minced whole green onion
1/4 cup finely chopped flat leaf parsley
1-2 tablespoons seeded, minced red jalapeno pepper, to taste
1-2 tablespoons seeded minced green jalapeno pepper, to taste
1 medium garlic clove, minced
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 pound 96 percent lean ground beef
1/3 cup ketchup

Preheat the oven 350 degrees. Spray a standard (8-1/2 x 4-1/2 x 2-1/2 inch) non-stick loaf pan with spray.

In a medium mixing bowl, combine the milk and the oats. Let them sit for 3 minutes or until the oats are softened. Add the egg whites followed by the Worcestershire, carrots, green onion, parsley, red and green jalapenos, garlic and salt. Mix them well.

Add the beef and mix them until well combined. Transfer the mixture to the prepared pan and spread it so that the top is flat. Spread the ketchup evenly over the top. Bake the meatloaf for 30 minutes or until it is no longer pink inside. Remove it from the oven and let it sit 10 minutes. Slice it into 8 slices and serve immediately. Makes 4 servings.

Each 2-slice serving has: 239 calories, 27 g protein, 20 g carbohydrates, 6 g fat, 2 g saturated fat, 61 mg cholesterol, 2 g fiber, 694 mg sodium

Bacon & Chive Mashed Potato Gratin

Ingredients:
Butter-flavored cooking spray
1 pound peeled Idaho or russet potatoes
1 teaspoon salt
3 slices center cut bacon, chopped
1/2 cup finely chopped sweet onion
1/4 cup fat free half and half
1 tablespoon light butter
1-1/2 tablespoons chopped chives
1 tablespoon finely chopped flat leaf parsley leaves
1/2 tablespoon chopped fresh thyme leaves
salt and pepper to taste
1/2 cup finely shredded, 75 percent light cheddar cheese

Preheat the oven to 400 degrees. Light mist a 2-3 quart casserole dish with spray.

Cut the potatoes into 3/4-inch pieces. Transfer them to a large pot. Cover the potatoes with water and place the pot over high heat. Add 1 teaspoon of salt. Bring the water to a boil then cover the pot with a lid and boil the potatoes about 20-25 minutes or until they are tender.

Meanwhile, place a medium, non-stick skillet over medium-high heat. Add the bacon. Cook it until the bacon is as crisp as possible without burning, about 5 minutes, then add the onions and continue cooking until the onion is just tender, but not browning, about 2-3 minutes.

Just before the potatoes are cooked, combine the half and half, and butter in a medium microwave-safe measuring cup or bowl. Microwave it on low heat about 1 minute until the butter is melted.

Drain the potatoes and transfer them to a medium mixing bowl. Using a potato masher or electric mixer, mash them. Pour in the half and half mixture, the bacon mixture, the chives, parsley and thyme and continue to mix the potatoes until they are well combined and fluffy. Season them to taste with salt and pepper. Transfer them to the prepared casserole dish and top them evenly with the cheese. Bake them for 20-25 minutes until the cheese is melted and is starting to brown slightly on top. Makes about 2-2/3 cups; 4 (about 2/3 cup each) servings.

Each serving has: 156 calories, 7 g protein, 24 g carbohydrates, 4 g fat, 2 g saturated fat, 11 mg cholesterol, 2 g fiber, 767 mg sodium

AND THE BEST PART..........

Red Velvet Layer Cake with Cream Cheese Frosting

For the Cake:
butter-flavored cooking spray
2 cups + 1 tablespoon unbleached, all-purpose flour
1/2 cup + 1 tablespoon unsweetened cocoa
1/3 cup corn starch 1/2 tablespoon baking powder
3/4 teaspoon baking soda
3/4 teaspoon salt
1-3/4 cups sugar
1-1/2 cups fat free milk
1 tablespoon red food coloring
4 egg whites
3/4 cup light corn syrup

Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Mist 2 8-inch diameter non-stick cake pans with cooking spray.

To a medium mixing bowl, add the flour, cocoa, corn starch, baking powder, baking soda, and salt. Mix until combined. Set aside.

In a large mixing bowl, using a sturdy whisk, mix the sugar, milk, and food coloring, stirring continuously for 1 minute. Whisk in the egg whites and the corn syrup until blended. Gradually stir in the dry ingredients until just smooth. Divide the mixture evenly among the pans. Bake about 30 minutes or until a toothpick in the center comes out dry (a few crumbs are okay). Cool side by side on a wire cooling rack in the pan for 10 minutes. Then flip the cakes onto the rack.

For the Cream Cheese Frosting:
1/2 cup + 1 tablespoon light cream cheese, room temperature
3 tablespoons light butter, room temperature
1 tablespoon vanilla extract
3-3/4 cups powdered sugar
1/8 teaspoon salt

Beat the cream cheese and butter in large bowl until smooth. Beat in vanilla. Then add half of the powdered sugar. Beat on low speed until well combined. Beat in the remaining powdered sugar until combined. Then beat on high speed until fluffy. Cover the bowl tightly with plastic wrap until the cake is completely cooled.

Assembly:
Place 1 cake layer, flat side down, on platter. Spread 1/2 cup frosting over the top of the cake. Top with the second cake layer, flat side down. Spread the remaining frosting over the top and sides of the cake. Slice the cake into 16 equal slices. Serve immediately, then refrigerate any leftovers. Makes 16 servings.

Each (1 slice) serving has: 317 calories, 5 g protein, 73 g carbohydrates, 3 g fat, 2 g saturated fat, 7 mg cholesterol, 2 g fiber, 312 mg sodium

Not the very healthiest, but by no means a fattening meal. I'm just psyched to see red velvet cake. Ever since I was little its always been my favorite :)

Replies

• msarro
    msarro Posts: 2,748 Member
    Options
    So, I was channel surfing this afternoon and I happened upon fitTV. Apparently it goes hand in hand with Discovery Health. There is a show called "Healthy Decadence" with a TON of awesome, and healthy recipes.

http://health.discovery.com/fansites/devin-alexander/recipes/index.html

The recipes on todays episode were:

Muscle-Packing Meatloaf

Ingredients:
    olive oil spray
    2/3 cups old fashioned oats
    1/2 cup fat free milk
    1 egg white, lightly beaten
    1-1/2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
    1/2 cup minced carrots
    1/3 cup minced whole green onion
    1/4 cup finely chopped flat leaf parsley
    1-2 tablespoons seeded, minced red jalapeno pepper, to taste
    1-2 tablespoons seeded minced green jalapeno pepper, to taste
    1 medium garlic clove, minced
    1/2 teaspoon salt
    1 pound 96 percent lean ground beef
    1/3 cup ketchup

Preheat the oven 350 degrees. Spray a standard (8-1/2 x 4-1/2 x 2-1/2 inch) non-stick loaf pan with spray.

In a medium mixing bowl, combine the milk and the oats. Let them sit for 3 minutes or until the oats are softened. Add the egg whites followed by the Worcestershire, carrots, green onion, parsley, red and green jalapenos, garlic and salt. Mix them well.

Add the beef and mix them until well combined. Transfer the mixture to the prepared pan and spread it so that the top is flat. Spread the ketchup evenly over the top. Bake the meatloaf for 30 minutes or until it is no longer pink inside. Remove it from the oven and let it sit 10 minutes. Slice it into 8 slices and serve immediately. Makes 4 servings.

Each 2-slice serving has: 239 calories, 27 g protein, 20 g carbohydrates, 6 g fat, 2 g saturated fat, 61 mg cholesterol, 2 g fiber, 694 mg sodium

Bacon & Chive Mashed Potato Gratin

Ingredients:
    Butter-flavored cooking spray
    1 pound peeled Idaho or russet potatoes
    1 teaspoon salt
    3 slices center cut bacon, chopped
    1/2 cup finely chopped sweet onion
    1/4 cup fat free half and half
    1 tablespoon light butter
    1-1/2 tablespoons chopped chives
    1 tablespoon finely chopped flat leaf parsley leaves
    1/2 tablespoon chopped fresh thyme leaves
    salt and pepper to taste
    1/2 cup finely shredded, 75 percent light cheddar cheese

Preheat the oven to 400 degrees. Light mist a 2-3 quart casserole dish with spray.

Cut the potatoes into 3/4-inch pieces. Transfer them to a large pot. Cover the potatoes with water and place the pot over high heat. Add 1 teaspoon of salt. Bring the water to a boil then cover the pot with a lid and boil the potatoes about 20-25 minutes or until they are tender.

Meanwhile, place a medium, non-stick skillet over medium-high heat. Add the bacon. Cook it until the bacon is as crisp as possible without burning, about 5 minutes, then add the onions and continue cooking until the onion is just tender, but not browning, about 2-3 minutes.

Just before the potatoes are cooked, combine the half and half, and butter in a medium microwave-safe measuring cup or bowl. Microwave it on low heat about 1 minute until the butter is melted.

Drain the potatoes and transfer them to a medium mixing bowl. Using a potato masher or electric mixer, mash them. Pour in the half and half mixture, the bacon mixture, the chives, parsley and thyme and continue to mix the potatoes until they are well combined and fluffy. Season them to taste with salt and pepper. Transfer them to the prepared casserole dish and top them evenly with the cheese. Bake them for 20-25 minutes until the cheese is melted and is starting to brown slightly on top. Makes about 2-2/3 cups; 4 (about 2/3 cup each) servings.

Each serving has: 156 calories, 7 g protein, 24 g carbohydrates, 4 g fat, 2 g saturated fat, 11 mg cholesterol, 2 g fiber, 767 mg sodium

AND THE BEST PART..........

Red Velvet Layer Cake with Cream Cheese Frosting

For the Cake:
    butter-flavored cooking spray
    2 cups + 1 tablespoon unbleached, all-purpose flour
    1/2 cup + 1 tablespoon unsweetened cocoa
    1/3 cup corn starch 1/2 tablespoon baking powder
    3/4 teaspoon baking soda
    3/4 teaspoon salt
    1-3/4 cups sugar
    1-1/2 cups fat free milk
    1 tablespoon red food coloring
    4 egg whites
    3/4 cup light corn syrup

Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Mist 2 8-inch diameter non-stick cake pans with cooking spray.

To a medium mixing bowl, add the flour, cocoa, corn starch, baking powder, baking soda, and salt. Mix until combined. Set aside.

In a large mixing bowl, using a sturdy whisk, mix the sugar, milk, and food coloring, stirring continuously for 1 minute. Whisk in the egg whites and the corn syrup until blended. Gradually stir in the dry ingredients until just smooth. Divide the mixture evenly among the pans. Bake about 30 minutes or until a toothpick in the center comes out dry (a few crumbs are okay). Cool side by side on a wire cooling rack in the pan for 10 minutes. Then flip the cakes onto the rack.

For the Cream Cheese Frosting:
    1/2 cup + 1 tablespoon light cream cheese, room temperature
    3 tablespoons light butter, room temperature
    1 tablespoon vanilla extract
    3-3/4 cups powdered sugar
    1/8 teaspoon salt

Beat the cream cheese and butter in large bowl until smooth. Beat in vanilla. Then add half of the powdered sugar. Beat on low speed until well combined. Beat in the remaining powdered sugar until combined. Then beat on high speed until fluffy. Cover the bowl tightly with plastic wrap until the cake is completely cooled.

Assembly:
    Place 1 cake layer, flat side down, on platter. Spread 1/2 cup frosting over the top of the cake. Top with the second cake layer, flat side down. Spread the remaining frosting over the top and sides of the cake. Slice the cake into 16 equal slices. Serve immediately, then refrigerate any leftovers. Makes 16 servings.

Each (1 slice) serving has: 317 calories, 5 g protein, 73 g carbohydrates, 3 g fat, 2 g saturated fat, 7 mg cholesterol, 2 g fiber, 312 mg sodium

Not the very healthiest, but by no means a fattening meal. I'm just psyched to see red velvet cake. Ever since I was little its always been my favorite :)
  • LokiFae
    LokiFae Posts: 774 Member
    Options
    I've made the red velvet cake. It is AWESOME!!!
  • studentRN
    studentRN Posts: 440 Member
    Options
    Mmm.. the potatoes sound great! Thanks!
  • Healthier_Me
    Healthier_Me Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options
    Yum-O!!!
    :heart: that meatloaf recipe!
  • PedalHound
    PedalHound Posts: 1,625 Member
    Options
    great link! Thanks for the tip!!! We don't have cable so I love these tips :drinker:
  • maggierex
    maggierex Posts: 59
    Options
    I just discovered this show over the weekend, too! I went into my DVR and set all the episodes to record! I am definitely going to be trying out her recipes. It's amazing the calories and fat she cuts from her recipes!