Foods LOW in protein?

Options
I have a big problem of always going over my limit of protein, and some days, I end up going way under my calorie limit because I'm so concerned with keeping my protein down. For example, today, I've gone over by 16, just by having chicken for dinner, and a soup at lunchtime, and I couldn't have had any less for breakfast, as two slices of toast would've been just as much as what I did have. I love having meat or fish as an evening meal, but sometimes I'm not able to and have to settle with a bowl of porridge that leaves me hungry, just because it doesn't have much protein.

Any recommendations on what I can eat to stop this happening, and still be full?

Replies

• erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    going over on protein is not bad. MFP sets protein at 15% of total calories, but a balanced diet can go up to 30% protein, and many people are on high protein diets which are even higher. Don't worry about it, you can go up to double the MFP amount and be fine.
  • SarahR1984
    Options
    I don't worry about protein, esp. since I work out everyday.
  • emilysebastian
    emilysebastian Posts: 245 Member
    Options
    going over on protein is not bad. MFP sets protein at 15% of total calories, but a balanced diet can go up to 30% protein, and many people are on high protein diets which are even higher. Don't worry about it, you can go up to double the MFP amount and be fine.
    I agree... and, if you're working out, specifically any strenghth training, it is good for your improving muscles!
  • Grokette
    Grokette Posts: 3,330 Member
    Options

^^^^

This statement is very accurate. I typically consume at least 25-30% protein daily. Sometimes more, depending on what my body needs for that day.
  • cheangela
    Options
    I'm sorry for being quite intrusive, I just took a look at your food diary and noticed there isn't much on the lines of fruit or veg. I have found it quite helpful in my weight loss and all around health just by adding more fruit/veg into my piehole :-).

The fiber in fresh foods really help you feel full and they won't lead to health issues as would an overly meat based diet would.
  • PureAndHealthy
    Options
    I'm sorry for being quite intrusive, I just took a look at your food diary and noticed there isn't much on the lines of fruit or veg. I have found it quite helpful in my weight loss and all around health just by adding more fruit/veg into my piehole :-).

The fiber in fresh foods really help you feel full and they won't lead to health issues as would an overly meat based diet would.

I concur! While protein is important and I changed my MFP settings to have 20% of my calories come from protein, a healthy diet includes tons of natural real food like fruits and vegetables and whole grains! Try new foods and find out what your favorite produce is! Happy eating!
  • MisdemeanorM
    MisdemeanorM Posts: 3,493 Member
    Options
    agreeing - protein here is a minimum goal, not a maximum amt. Like fiber, or many of the vitamins or minerals, don't worry going over that either.