Gym the right option?

Options
I have been eating right and I have been walking for a minimum of 45 minutes daily on uneven terrain 5 days a week for the last year and lost about 25 lbs. I still have at least another 50 to go but I was told I should really get into the gym to build muscle so I now go to the gym 3 days and walk 2 days. Is this really going to help me loose weight? I don't want to remain as heavy and have muscles.....I want to loose. I noticed since I started the gym I put on 2 lbs in one week and I nearly fell off the scale :sad:
I know muscle weighs more than fat but...........Any advice???

Replies

• meggonkgonk
    meggonkgonk Posts: 2,066 Member
    Options
    Well actually, if you are doing a more strenuous workout than you typically do, it is likely your muscles are retaining temporary water weight to repair themselves. Muscle won't continue to make you weigh more. Just keep plugging away.
  • lucky48
    lucky48 Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    First of all, you can't focus solely on weight. If you do, you're most likely going to drive yourself nuts. Going to the gym and weightlifting will allow your body to tone, to replace fat with toned muscles. Yes, muscle does weigh more than fat and for a little bit, you may find that you are actually putting on weight as your body starts to tone itself. However, instead of solely tracking weight, track other measurements as you may find that those are decreasing.
  • verbifyvenus
    verbifyvenus Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    The more muscle you build the more efficient your body becomes at burning fat.
  • meglane
    Options
    Not to worry! Muscles burn calories, so that means the more muscle mass you have the more calories you burn working out or even being lazy! Its a win win overall. Fat does NOT burn anything. Its a waste of space hence the reason you need to get rid of it. I think that a gym is a good place to get a good workout, but at the same time its not the only place to gain muscle mass. There are plenty of videos that you can do in your home. It is whatever works for you.
  • luv2ash
    luv2ash Posts: 1,903 Member
    Options
    A gym membership is not required at all. You can achieve all of this at home with a few dumbells and/or a good video.

After I lost 60 pounds I decided to start lifting weights because my boddy was feeling too flabby from all the weight loss. I have achieved enormous success, with defined, sexy muscle tone. I have lost 17 inches in my first 30 days, and not once did I gain an ounce--I am still losing weight.
  • SushiPunk
    SushiPunk Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    I always gain a few pounds when I do strength training. Insead of weighing yourself take measurments every couple of weeks. I feel it is a lot more accurate because weight can be affected by clothing, wet hair, water in the bladder or food still digesting. You can also find out what your body fat percentage is as well. Most gyms with personal trainers will have a little hand held machine that tells you your body fat percentage, see if you can use one at your gym.
  • novatri
    novatri Posts: 262 Member
    Options
    The more muscle you build the more efficient your body becomes at burning fat.

Every pound of muscle burns 50 calories a day AT REST. So more muscles means less time in the gym. The best workout plan is the one you stick with, regardless of location. It takes a lot of muscle to really bulk up. Most of us are more muscular than we know. Just covered by fat.
  • tdonlin
    tdonlin Posts: 934 Member
    Options
    It's good to change up your workouts once in while and do a variety of different exercises. Also, after weight training during the regeneration of your muscles, your body continues to burn calories for a period of time. After cardio, the burning of calories pretty much stops once your heart stabilizes back at it's normal state of rest.
  • dalbers
    Options
    You do not need to join a gym to build muscle, but it certainly does make things much easier.

Remember that it is a commitment, usually a one year membership.

Allow for travel time to and from, 5 minutes to change when you get there, 20 minutes to shower and change when you leave, and however long you intend to workout. A good novice strength routine usually takes 30 to 45 minutes and goes up from there as you advance.

So if you can keep that time commitment 3 times a week, a gym is a great choice.

However, you can build a tonne of strength with bodyweight exercises at home. It is not as motivating for some. Some people work harder having a gym with other people around. Or they enjoy getting out of the house to train in an environment with other people who also do.

Do you need a gym? No, you can build muscle and cardio at home if you know how with barely any equipment at all.

Can a gym be a good choice? Yes, socially, motivationally and for simplicity sake.

Personal choice in the end.

Good luck!!!
  • meggonkgonk
    meggonkgonk Posts: 2,066 Member
    Options
    A gym membership is not required at all. You can achieve all of this at home with a few dumbells and/or a good video.

Totes agree that actually paying for a gym is a bit superfluous (what can I say? I'm a cheapo) But if you go/like going- don't let a 1 wk gain stop you.
  • hroush
    hroush Posts: 2,073 Member
    Options
    Read this thread. If you have any more questions about working out, the author is more than happy to help:

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/113609-relatively-light-people-trying-to-get-leaner
  • sarahsmom1
    sarahsmom1 Posts: 1,501 Member
    Options
    I think it takes awhile for your muscles to actually be a weight problem.you will still burn the fat first. It will reshape your body and also unless you are power lifting or body sculpting you won't have a problem you will not have a manly muscular body if that's your worry. My daughter trains 9 times a week for her Olympic weightlifting since 2008 and she still looks like a woman and that lifting about 250 pds above her head. Good Luck
  • Katfrench
    Options
    Well actually, if you are doing a more strenuous workout than you typically do, it is likely your muscles are retaining temporary water weight to repair themselves. Muscle won't continue to make you weigh more. Just keep plugging away.

You just made my day! I gained 2 lbs in 1 week after I've lost 6 in the last 7 weeks. I was devastated! Im working out really hard so that expalins it!:smile:
  • Michelleanon
    Michelleanon Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    :happy: Wow! Thank you ALL for all the great advice...REALLY REALLY appreciate it :happy:
    I am definitely someone who has to have a routine and being signed up to the gym gives me motivation as I feel that I HAVE to go and to justify the fees too.... LOL... I have a few weights at home, videos and my wii fit (which I use mainly for weight tracking) so I will go to the gym and I will continue walking....THANK YOU....