Oatmeal toppings?

Options
2»

Replies

• foreverjade
    foreverjade Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    HONEY!!!

Every weekday breakfast, 3/4 oatmeal and 1 tbsp honey - 200 ish calories!

Also, cinnamon = no cals and apparently a super food!
  • PJilly
    PJilly Posts: 21,734 Member
    Options
    I have a ginormous (by most people's standards anyway) serving of oatmeal every morning. I start out with 3/4 cup of old-fashioned oats (that's 3/4 cup dry, before cooking). After cooking, I add a tablespoon of Sugar in the Raw and a full teaspoon of cinnamon.
  • musicgirl99
    musicgirl99 Posts: 252 Member
    Options
    This might sound gross to a lot of people but I usually have it with a tsp. of brown sugar and a tsp. of natural peanut butter. It adds a little sweetness and if you like peanut butter it's pretty tasty.
  • PJilly
    PJilly Posts: 21,734 Member
    Options
    This might sound gross to a lot of people but I usually have it with a tsp. of brown sugar and a tsp. of natural peanut butter. It adds a little sweetness and if you like peanut butter it's pretty tasty.
    That sounds pretty delicious to me.
  • ka_42
    ka_42 Posts: 720 Member
    Options
    Did someone say chopped apple? Cinnamon and dried fruit are musts! ...and maybe a tad of honey to sweeten. :)
  • misscristie
    misscristie Posts: 643 Member
    Options
    I always cook ,my oatmeal with Light Vanilla soymilk. Then I do one of the following:

Fresh berries and splenda.
    Fresh apples, cinnamon and splenda.
    1 4oz container of a flavored FF yogurt.

All of those are pretty tasty and crazy filling.
  • londoneye
    londoneye Posts: 192 Member
    Options
    I agree with a lot of what has been said already. Just wanted to point out that the banana is AMAZING if you chop it up and put it in BEFORE cooking. Maybe everyone is already doing this, but I only realised the joys of this recently. Cooked banana is all sweet and almost caramel-y. Love it.
  • gp79
    gp79 Posts: 1,799 Member
    Options
    My favorite oatmeal toppings when keeping good nutrition in mind are nuts, raisins and a drizzle of organic Grade A or B maple syrup. Remember oatmeal is typically a weight gainer so, if trying to lose weight...keep it all in moderation.
  • MsQt
    MsQt Posts: 793 Member
    Options
    You can use Craisins which is re-hydrated cranberries they are juicy and sliced green apples.
  • JeninBelgium
    JeninBelgium Posts: 804 Member
    Options
    Gpoitras- Why is oatmeal a weight gainer? it is relatively low in calories- very little fat to speak of and high in fiber so some of the carbs get "flushed" away

A lot of my friends like it with a bit of canned pumpkin with cinammon or pumpkin pie spice- supposed to be a good fix for when you are craving pumpkin pie in the autumn- I think it's pretty good but I am not a pumpkin pie fan so don't love it as much as they do
  • ingeborgv
    ingeborgv Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    Cinnamon and diced rhubarb. Yum!

Oh, and blueberries and cinnamon is nice, too.
  • MsLilly200
    MsLilly200 Posts: 192 Member
    Options
    I use applesauce. :)
  • gp79
    gp79 Posts: 1,799 Member
    Options
    Jeninbelgium,

By no means am I an expert but lets take a quick look at oatmeal in it's many forms, simply from a calorie standpoint.

Quaker, Old Fashioned Dry: 150 calories per 1/2 cup serving.
    Quaker Instant Oatmeal: 160 calories per packet
    Quaker Instant Oatmeal, Lower sugar: 110 calories per packet.
    Generic or Organic Steel Cut Oats: 150 Calories for 1/4 cup serving.

Not bad at first glance. In my opinion Oatmeal is a decent way to start the day, because there are alot of worse things available to us.

How many packets of this stuff makes up your breakfast? Thinking back to my past, 4 was my magic number, because it filled the bowl. 160x4=640 calories

One cup of dry oats = 300 calories. So about a half a bowl depending on the bowl size. My bowls at home hold 2 cups worth. Now who in their right mind is going to eat plain, unflavored oatmeal? So you've got to put some toppings on it and what people usually go for is some form of sugar (brown sugar, maple syrup full of corn syrup).

The same sized serving of the steel cut oats, where each serving is only 1/4 cup, now we're looking at = 600 calories for one cup. Again, adding toppings is going to make that 600 calorie bowl, easily reach upwards to 800-1000 calories.

Oatmeal is a calorie dense food, so if your not careful to make sure you stay within your calorie goals, you can easily over eat without paying much attention especially when you start adding the sugar and other calorie dense toppings such as nuts and dried fruit.