Weighing yourself!!!

Options
Now I could be wrong but I have always been told to only weigh myself once a week. So that is what I do. I was told this because if you weigh youself everyday it is bound to be different everyday therefore possibly being disappointing in the long run. So why do people weigh themselves everday??? I give props to the people who hide their scales for the sake of their sanity! If I am wrong please correct me and if I'm right... people spare youselves and stop weighing everday!!! I mean I have been guilty of it so I was just curious on people's take on it :)

Replies

• lisy28
    lisy28 Posts: 156 Member
    Options
    I cant help my self!! I have to know! I once did get my boyfriend to hide my scales so i couldnt look everyday...

It is sort of like routine now, but keep in mind that if you are up one day and you have done everything right it can just be water retention etc

Also i like to know where i am at... im nosey like that :o)
  • A_New_Horizon
    A_New_Horizon Posts: 1,555 Member
    Options
    You are only supposed to weigh yourself once a week, but I have to admit that I do it more because I want to know my success. I just keep in my mind that it will flucuate from day to day. I don't get upset anymore when it is down one day then up another.
  • 00trayn
    00trayn Posts: 1,849 Member
    Options
    I recently hid my scale for an entire week, I was stressing out over putting on 4 lbs between a wedding (open bar...) and upping my protein and calories. It was somewhat productive, but I like to see it every day. My weight does flutuate and I like to know what range I'm bouncing around in. If I weigh once a week, it's hard to tell if it'll be a lower day or a higher day. I just use it to keep me in check and I can see when the scale starts to actually creep up. I've also managed to convince myself the scale doesn't matter as much. I just have to keep moving forward.
  • MaryDreamer
    Options
    Once a week here either Sat or Sun!
  • heidio
    heidio Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Me and my friend were talking about this today - I have decided to weigh myself every other day just because I can't stand the suspense of waiting a week!
  • brancakes
    brancakes Posts: 263 Member
    Options
    Dont get me wrong I'm not dissing on anyone I just hate to see people upset when the numbers do change and they've done it to themselves. Makes me sad :(
  • Vicky14174
    Vicky14174 Posts: 715 Member
    Options
    I normally only weigh once a week, on the day and at the same time every week. But I did sneak a peek this morning because I went shopping yesterday and the 16's didn't fit and the 14's didn't fit quite right and the 12's were still a little too tight. Just had to see how I was going so far. I don't weigh in until Friday mornings but it looks promising for this week so far. I didn't lose any weight last week but did lose inches.
  • sabrinafaith
    sabrinafaith Posts: 607 Member
    Options
    I weigh myself every day bc it keeps me going. I also see a loss almost every day bc I stay under 1800 mg/day of sodium and i drink 12 glasses of water, so I only have to deal with water weight during TOM.
  • paniolo5
    paniolo5 Posts: 186 Member
    Options
    I think it all depends upon how you mentally take the amount showing on the scale. Personally, I like to check in every day. It acts as a little mental switch in the morning (well, most days anyway!) that I need to keep going, continue to eat healthy, etc. I know in my heart if I didn't do so well the day before, and I also know that if I ate food that is "heavy", the scale will show it in the morning, but two days later it will return to the lighter weight from before if I continue to eat right & exercise. I don't get caught up in the little ups and downs of the daily weigh in. But as I said, it's my daily reminder of what I'm working towards.

If you let yourself get caught up in gaining a pound overnight and not think about normal fluctuations during a week, then I definitely wouldn't advise weighing yourself every day.

I only do an "official" weigh in for the MFP Check in once each week. For me, that's the one that matters.
  • MelleyJ
    MelleyJ Posts: 198
    Options
    Guilty of every day weighing here. I like to see my progress, even if it's .2 lbs. I also like to know if I am at a plateau before it has been 2 weeks time. I want to be able to do something about it when I recognize that my weight is not shifting either direciton for a few days.
    Yes, I have my up days. But it usually goes down within the next day or two. I know that, so I don't get hung up on it. It's very motivating to see that you are going down, even if it's only 0.2lbs at a time. I would get discouraged if I was the same for 2 weeks. I would feel like I should have done something about it sooner, and it had been 2 weeks of hard work and wasted effort. But that's just me.
    Everyone is different. Some people get discouraged weighing everday. Some people get discouraged weighing weekly. I personally use any ups or plateaus on the scale to work harder. Just the way I am.
    Find something that works for you and stick with it! It's a hot topic on here, but just understanding that everyone is different and what works for some, doesn't work for others.
  • essbe
    essbe Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    lol I weigh myself every day because it's fun. Lots of little tiny "oohs!" beats one big one at the end of the week for me, for sure. I also find it helps me keep on track more... I have a short concentration span and not seeing any tangible evidence of my hard work until the next 7 days, I just wander off track somewhere around day 2 or 3. Whatever works I reckon :)
  • 3LittleMonkeys
    3LittleMonkeys Posts: 373 Member
    Options
    Because that is personally what works for me. I just never have thought once a week was enough. Why wait a whole week if there could be a problem? By weighing every morning I know where I am at and what happened the day before that may of caused it. Good or bad.
  • chazspk
    chazspk Posts: 159 Member
    Options
    Fri mornings only i only get to depressed if i have any up for no reason.. And fri is the start of my weekend not that i go mad but i do like my nachos cheese and sour cream on a sat night with my hubby... so it is well gone by the following fri..lol:laugh:
  • brancakes
    brancakes Posts: 263 Member
    Options
    Well thanks everyone for the different perspectives :)
  • 3LittleMonkeys
    Options
    I love the idea of weighing every day being a switch! Great thought.

Something I have noticed is people that weigh once a week (I know because I was guilty of this at one time) would weigh on say Friday. Then here comes the weekend and its party city! With the unspoken or spoken thought of "Well I can splurge and work it off all week." Then one day leads to the next and then its weigh Friday agaiin.

That's what use to happen when I was on WW.
  • neelia
    neelia Posts: 750 Member
    Options
    I weigh once a month. =) So much better to focus on my ultimate goal than on that dang number so much
  • 3LittleMonkeys
    Options
    Funny thing is my Doctor asked how often I weigh and I said everyday. She was like, you sure you want to do that? Um, yes.

I weigh in on my Wii Board and it keeps a log of what I weigh each day. Then I can look back and see my patterns.

Having said that. Everyone is different and may not feel comfortable with weighing everyday or even at all.
    Well thanks everyone for the different perspectives :)
  • taiyola
    taiyola Posts: 964 Member
    Options
    I used to weigh myself 4 + times a day, every day a year or so ago. I stopped weighing myself completely for about 4 months, and that's when I gained my weight which was around 10-12lb.

I've been weighing myself once a week, but I find I go off track or 'let myself off' with that chocolate bar etc. I find doing it every day or most days keeps me focused and when I was weighing myself every day, I was at my lightest... although obviously when I was doing it 4+ times a day, I had a problem lol
  • Lindsay7360
    Options
    Personally, I weigh myself everyday because I track my weight in an excel spreadsheet and it's motivating to know that even if I AM up one day - the trend of my weight loss is just that... a LOSS. It's keeps me motivated because even if I'm up a pound or two, I can see from looking at my line graph that I'm still recording a loss because my daily weight is still lower than my starting weight.

Just my 2 cents! :)
  • Alita2011
    Alita2011 Posts: 265 Member
    Options
    I weigh myself everyday!!!. I also have a better relationship with my scale. He says whatever he going to say and I have to listen and work hard so he can say something else!

However this time last year, weighing myself everyday was rough because I wanted to change everyday and I have learned that it don't happen like that.....