Kettle bells and calories??

Options
I have been working out w/ a 7 lb. kettle bell and a 25 min. workout dvd. When I log in my exercise, there is nothing for kettle bells. The closest thing I can find is aerobic exercise, but it only says 176 calories...I really feel like I may be burning more then that! I am sweating tons at the end of 25 minutes. Any suggestions?

Replies

• TheNewDanielle
    Options
    I would suggest getting a heart monitor. I found out that with the heart monitor, I burn more on the treadmill than it actually thinks that I am. Depending on how hard your workout is, it's quite possible after 25 minutes you're burning more than the computer says it is. For things it doesn't have, I create my own exercise. Good luck!
  • Vicky14174
    Vicky14174 Posts: 715 Member
    Options
    email the company that has the dvd that you are using and ask them.
  • dalbers
    Options
    If you are doing kettle bells and really busting your butt, and do not want to buy a HRM, just put it under interval training for calories calculation. I have done both and they are about the same.

*Edit* sorry I meant circuit training.

I am assuming you are doing the full body movements, not just the isolation ones. KB squats, ribbon/lunges, etc....
  • KDonnelly1976
    Options
    The moves I do are the sumo squat (5, 10 (2xs) and 20 (0nce)
    Swing (same as above)
    Power Jacks (same as above)

Then swing catch squat (10 x 3)
    Lunges (30)
    Side squat lung (30)

Swing for 1 min.
    Swing and switch hands for 1 min.
    30 second lunge
    30 deadlifts

Snatch punch (6 times on each side)

Abs
  • dalbers
    Options
    Sounds like circuit training doesn't it? Only you use a kettle bell :)
  • kikimommy
    kikimommy Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    I just recently took a kettle ball class and the instructor said it was like 250 calorie for 20 minutes. I put it under circuit training.
  • charityateet
    charityateet Posts: 576 Member
    Options
    I do kettlebell training to and have read that someone my size (5'6" / 200lb <and going down>) can burn 20 calories a minute. When I do the cardio kettlebell training I log 20 cals per minute, when I do the strenght I log about 12 cals per minute. I might not be 100% accurate but I am on week 5 (3 days running, 3 days kettlebell) and have lost 9 lbs. So....something is working.
  • suzileduc
    suzileduc Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    SparkPeople has added the KettleBell Training category and its 20 calories a minute!!! I've read some research on that as well.
  • legacysh
    legacysh Posts: 464
    Options
    In my Kettlebell class, the average person is said to burn 10+ calories per minute. So find something that is equivalent. I would think average meaning 5'5" and150lbs... I think I logged it as High impact aerobics....
  • jataijah
    jataijah Posts: 192 Member
    Options
    I do a 20 minute kettlebell workout and according to my HRM I burn around 180 calories in that time. Thats with an 8lb kettlebell. Im sure when I get a bigger size my calories burned will go up. Im sure just like any exercise not everyone will burn the same amount of calories. Especially with people using different sized kettlebells:smile: Im 5'4" 183lbs