Seemingly Obvious Exercise advice

Replies

• DeeDeeLHF
    DeeDeeLHF Posts: 2,301 Member
    enjoying this thread!:flowerforyou:

Listen to your body. Some days you can bring it on hard and some days you just cannot but always give your body a chance. Some days, I think, "oh, I just can't do this today" but by the time I warm up with a quick walk for 10 minutes, I am ready and so happy that I didn't give in.
  • Robin1117
    Robin1117 Posts: 1,768 Member
    this thread is funny--thanks for starting it. One I have been thinking about lately is make sure to go to the bathroom before doing any jumping exercises.....

:)
  • tgh1914
    tgh1914 Posts: 1,036 Member
    Men: Do NOT wear spandex bottoms. No matter how good you think your bottom half looks, it's not a good look. :sick:

Tight tops? I get it; that's cool. But NO spandex bottoms for a man.
  • christawill
    christawill Posts: 9 Member
    Do not exercise on an empty stomache. you wont feel well and all you will think about is food and what you can eat after

I totally agree with this. I tried doing the emty stomach thing a few times based on some peoples recommendations and it made me queasy trying to run on a totally empty stomach. Plus I never had the energy to run as fully as I do when I've eaten something. I always have to stop and walk more when I have no food in my stomach.
    LOL,
    also do not workout after you have just FILLED your stomach!! Sloshing sounds are NOT good sounds......... and no one wants to see what you ate after the fact!! :o) ewww
  • Other than that... choose your workout clothing wisely! It may look nice in the dressing room but some clothing (tight) and some colours (greys etc) will show just how sweaty you are... EVERY where... Good for you for working THAT hard but butt sweat isn't always that attractive! : )

I agree with you on this.
  • xXAlana21Xx
    xXAlana21Xx Posts: 183 Member
    its more about food than exercise but....

make it a concious effort not to clean your plate and leave a little bit left in your dish.
  • marber
    marber Posts: 118 Member
    "I have been to the gym for an hour" sounds great except if you spent 55mins talking and flirting with the instructors and 5 mins on the treadmill. This is the reason that "I never lose any weight" is the next thing said.

Seriously there is someone at our gym that does this.
  • Amy62575
    Amy62575 Posts: 422 Member
    I get it that you're a guy and you are just SOOOO cool, but if you expect to get your workout on, DO NOT wear jeans to workout at the gym. Dork.
  • Megthatgirl
    Megthatgirl Posts: 68 Member
    AMEN! lol Ive seen far too many ladies workin out with their ladies out lol
  • SHBoss1673
    SHBoss1673 Posts: 7,161 Member
    I get it that you're a guy and you are just SOOOO cool, but if you expect to get your workout on, DO NOT wear jeans to workout at the gym. Dork.

haha, I saw this the other day.

Dude was in jeans doing a dumbbell workout. I'm sitting there sweating through a full body High Intensity Circuit Training session and sweating through everything (and wiping down machines when I finish), and he's over there doing dumbbell curls like an inch from the mirror. I'm thinking.o0 (Really? Seriously? You're gonna do THAT with me over here killing myself?) Tacky.
  • Do not sit at the machine for your rest between sets. If you do this, you're a jerk. If you do this whilst texting on your cell phone, you're just asking for me to claw your face off.

Don't have your cell phone with you at the gym. Leave it in your locker. Concentrate on your workout. If you can update your facebook status while you're working out, you're not working out nearly as hard as you could.

If you're not putting that machine to good use, you're wasting the time of someone who could be using it to get a real workout.
  • emott84
    emott84 Posts: 108
    Do not sit at the machine for your rest between sets. If you do this, you're a jerk. If you do this whilst texting on your cell phone, you're just asking for me to claw your face off.

Don't have your cell phone with you at the gym. Leave it in your locker. Concentrate on your workout. If you can update your facebook status while you're working out, you're not working out nearly as hard as you could.

If you're not putting that machine to good use, you're wasting the time of someone who could be using it to get a real workout.

I hope people don't think that about me! I have an ipod touch and I keep track of the machine/weight/reps that I do on the Notepad feature of the ipod :S So it probably does look like I'm on an iphone, texting. Uh oh.
  • Do not sit at the machine for your rest between sets. If you do this, you're a jerk. If you do this whilst texting on your cell phone, you're just asking for me to claw your face off.

I hope people don't think that about me! I have an ipod touch and I keep track of the machine/weight/reps that I do on the Notepad feature of the ipod :S So it probably does look like I'm on an iphone, texting. Uh oh.

Using the notepad to do that makes perfect sense, but you don't have to be sitting on the machine to do it, right? I'm talking about people not allowing others to "work in" or just putzing about on cardio machines and not really working.
  • If you gained weight don't say "it must be muscle mass I gained" when you are lifting 3-5lb weights sporatically a couple of times a week...
  • emott84
    emott84 Posts: 108
    Do not sit at the machine for your rest between sets. If you do this, you're a jerk. If you do this whilst texting on your cell phone, you're just asking for me to claw your face off.

Using the notepad to do that makes perfect sense, but you don't have to be sitting on the machine to do it, right? I'm talking about people not allowing others to "work in" or just putzing about on cardio machines and not really working.

No, you don't have to be on the machine. I am usually, because I only take a minute to break from my set before starting another and use the time either to A) drink water or B) Type in the name of the machine. I work out in the Ladies Only section of my gym and it's never busy enough that someone is standing nearby waiting for the machine.

I'm always really conscious of the fact that it looks like I could be texting, lol. Because I also judge people who look like they're texting and not doing anything. :ohwell:
  • Jogging on the treadmill in a tennis skirt is a bit weird...
  • corsayre8
    corsayre8 Posts: 551 Member
    I use my iPhone MFP ap to keep track of my weights/reps. And yes, I will do it while sitting onthe machine - but my rests are also short, and I go go a small gym and there is usually only one or two other people using the circuit machines.
  • DeeDeeLHF
    DeeDeeLHF Posts: 2,301 Member
    It probably means that I am not doing it right but I only pause about 10 seconds in between reps so I don't get off. There are others who are sitting doing nothing for a lot longer than that. I have a limited amount of time so I get to as many machines as I can in the 30-35 minutes allotted.

Also, although I don't use it, I keep my phone with me just in case my children need to get in touch with me. On the rare occasion that I get a call, I do get off the machine and take the phone some place more private.

D
  • SHBoss1673
    SHBoss1673 Posts: 7,161 Member
    It probably means that I am not doing it right but I only pause about 10 seconds in between reps so I don't get off. There are others who are sitting doing nothing for a lot longer than that. I have a limited amount of time so I get to as many machines as I can in the 30-35 minutes allotted.

Also, although I don't use it, I keep my phone with me just in case my children need to get in touch with me. On the rare occasion that I get a call, I do get off the machine and take the phone some place more private.

D

if you're able to do a 2nd set with a 10 second pause, then you need more weight. Essentially, in order for any resistance to work well, you need to fatigue your muscles, and fatigued muscles need at least a minute or so to restore glycogen and calcium to the site. Otherwise they simply don't work. If you can still do work, that means the fatigue wasn't there and you're not really doing what the program is designed for. Unless you're simply trying to increase bone density, then that might be fine.
  • 12by311
    12by311 Posts: 1,716 Member
    A weight gain of "muscle mass" is my favorite.
This discussion has been closed.