is there such a thing as too much water???

Options
I was just reading other peoples post and they were staying to drink 64 oz of water....thing is i drink over 3 liters of whater which is like 132 oz of water a day. but i drink more than that....can you drink to much water to where it can make you gain weight that won't come off????

Replies

• sabrinafaith
    sabrinafaith Posts: 607 Member
    Options
    I drink 12-14 glasses of water a day and I think it helps me loose weight.
  • sing1998
    sing1998 Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    you can drink too much water as in, water intoxication. i don't think you will gain any weight from water. quite the contrary, it flushes out the system and helps keep your metabolism running.
  • ktblueyz
    Options
    idk if you can have too much. but its recommended you drink half your body weight in ounces every day. so if you weigh 150lbs... drink 75 ounces a day. that would be perfect
  • HeatherShrinking
    HeatherShrinking Posts: 805 Member
    Options
    Yes you can drink too much water... but it is more of a drinking too much water in too short of period of time thing. I found a link that explains it pretty well http://chemistry.about.com/cs/5/f/blwaterintox.htm

:laugh: looks like someone else got the same link to you quicker... great minds think a like!
  • sexygenius
    sexygenius Posts: 1,078 Member
    Options
    you have to drink a CRAZY amount of ater in a short amount of time to get water intoxication, but it is possible..as for weight gain from drinking too much water-no, drinking more water actually combats bloat! just dont drink a bunch of water before you weigh in..
  • pyro13g
    pyro13g Posts: 1,127 Member
    Options
    you have to drink a CRAZY amount of ater in a short amount of time to get water intoxication, but it is possible..as for weight gain from drinking too much water-no, drinking more water actually combats bloat! just dont drink a bunch of water before you weigh in..

I've done it 3 times, not fun.
  • Elli0tt
    Options
    This is true, a radio station here in las vegas did a contest for some tickets to a concert or a show or something, and the person that drank the most water in an hour won, whoever it was that won drank (I believe) close to 2 gallons in one hour and DIED...Happened awhile back.

Anyway I was wondering the same thing about "too much water" just a few days ago. Turns out when you drink a lot of water, your body reacts and triggers more frequent urination (teehee) I would imagine this does have a flushing/cleansing effect on the body. This is how fighters, boxers etc cut weight so quickly for fights, actually. For a few days before they weigh-in they drink as much water as they can at a safe pace (so they don't die like the person I talked about before), and then they stop water intake completely a day or so away from weigh ins and the body doesn't get the memo right away, so you continue to flush it out, losing more and more water weight with ever bathroom break.

you can drink too much water as in, water intoxication. i don't think you will gain any weight from water. quite the contrary, it flushes out the system and helps keep your metabolism running.
  • maeadair
    maeadair Posts: 496 Member
    Options
    As others have Said YES YOU CAN DRINK TOO MUCH WATER that said , it has to be in short period of time... You can mess up body's electrolytes and they are essential in regulating basic body systems...ie heart ,lungs, brain function ...
    I suggest read the articles on water intoxication.