How have your weight issues affected your self-perception?

Options
My weight issues have always been a part of my subconcious and concious insecurities. Sometimes no matter how many other things I like about myself, my weight prevents me from truly loving myself and accepting myself. Everytime I look into a mirror, a little part of me wonders how I let myself gain so much weight.

How about you guys? How do you see yourselves?

Replies

• godsgiftjcp
    Options
    I am the exact same way. I am losing weight and people tell me they see it coming off, but I dont see it. I feel like I am the same size I started at. I hope once I lose more, I will begin to see it myself and be a lot more happier.
  • cindaroses
    Options
    It affects me from wanting to be around some people. My husband's family are all asian and very small. They make comments about me and my butt. It affects me, and makes me feel horrible even when I've lost weight.
  • strandedeyes
    strandedeyes Posts: 392 Member
    Options
    For the longest time, I refused to look myself in the mirror because I felt I wasn't beautiful due to my weight issues. I always had family members tell me that if I lost weight, Id be beautiful, so I have had my brain repeating that.

It took me until I was on my own and away from family to finally look in the mirror and finally say "this is you and you are awesome." Sure I was 24 years old and probably could have used that in my head years earlier, but its better late than never.

I still have issues and I do my best to say that the mirror is lying and keep walking with my head high knowing I am beautiful. I don't see that beauty that others may see everyday but its there...I just have to remind myself that. I am losing weight slowly and there are moments I see it and moments I don't...and then my scale loves to discourage me....but again, I just remind myself I am still beautiful.

Honestly for me, the day I accepted my body for what it was and thought about how awesome of a person I am, was the day I truly started getting healthier and started to lose the weight (9lbs so far...im not complaining).

Good luck with your journey..... :)
  • dhomsi723
    Options
    My weight definitly lowers my self esteem....Not fun
  • trekkiebeth
    Options
    I'm the same way. I just can not be comfortable in my own skin unless I get down to a good weight. I hate knowing I look bad in all my clothes (the ones I can still squeeze into) and having to put my purse on my lap all the time to cover my rolls. Being overweight just makes day to day living a pain. I'm incredibly uncomfortable in my own body.
  • nicole00lynn
    Options
    The first time I lost weight I didnt see it, so I never felt better about myself. I really think thats part of the reason I gained my weight back. I promised myself that this time I will give myself credit where credit is due! pat yourself on the back and know that you are doing a good job and looking great!
  • kmm7309
    kmm7309 Posts: 802 Member
    Options
    My husband cheated on me a few years ago, and I was devestated. There were a lot of reasons it happened, and it wasn't all his fault. I had turned into this insufferable ***** who tried to run every second of his day. But once I found out about what had happened, I focused on the fact that he cheated only because she was skinny. It took me a long time to accept my psychological abuse towards him and look past the vanity that only I saw in the situation, because I could only see her size 4 standing in front of me.
  • MelissaE27
    MelissaE27 Posts: 682 Member
    Options
    I admit It hinders my life so much...I hear people say your face is so pretty.. well how about the rest of me?? just hate hearing that... I dont even try clothes on anymore its not fun for me...all my friends go shopping and want me to go but I dont.. its closed me off from a lot.. so this time I HAVE to do this.. for me.