breakfast ideas for lazy people (ie. me)

Options
Dear fellow weight loss crusaders,

I am trying to change the way I eat by having a bigger breakfast and lunch, and a smaller dinner. On weekdays I eat breakfast at work (at my desk, as I save up my break times to go to the gym). Currently I have muesli or porridge but I'm getting tired of it. Seriously, it is starting to taste like cardboard!

SOOOO.. does anyone have ideas for something filling I can cook using limited appliances (microwave and grill), which will take less than 5 minutes? Oh, and minimum effort as I really am a lazy git. :)

Cheers.

ps. As a side note, does anyone else feel like time has slowed down since they started trying to lose weight? Seems to me like things (specifically the numbers on my scales going down) happen so sloooooowwwllllyyyyy.. :D

Cheers!

Replies

• jane77
    jane77 Posts: 489
    Options
    If you have a little grill eggs are really easy, also Ham and cheese,chicken (precooked ) on somekind of bread or a shell for a pocket add veg and onions, greek yogurt and fruit (High protien), apples with peanuts butter as a snack

as for second ? I alway try to remember those lbs didn't go on fast either
  • gretchann917
    Options
    I usually don't have lots of time in the morning either, so I mix plain yogurt with fruit (peaches, blueberries, or strawberries) and muesli. I also have egg whites and avocado on a piece of wheat toast- which I know sounds unusual, but it is totally yummy and filling! The avocado kind of mocks the taste of butter. Hope this helps!
  • waterbug920
    Options
    Check out Hungry-Girl.com - she has these great "Egg Mug" recipes. Scrambled eggs (egg beaters) in a coffee mug sprayed with Pam - add your ingredients, pop it in the micrwave, stir, microwave again, and you're done! All the stats are already done for yoou also!
  • Sholland0667
    Options
    I eat breakfast at work, too, but I prepare mine on Sunday to have for the week. I usually cook five hard boiled eggs on Sunday and put them in a bowl in the fridge. Therefore, I can just grab one on my way out in the morning. In addition to the egg, I eat fat free plain Greek yogurt with fresh blueberries on top. I've also done flax seeds or pomegranate seeds. I eat a snack about two hours later, usually veggies and homemade hummus. I also eat an afternoon snack and include protein in each meal.

I know my response doesn't include something that can be cooked in microwave or on grill, but I find it to be very filling - also very fast and easy. Hope it helps!
  • Fieldsy
    Fieldsy Posts: 1,105 Member
    Options
    microwave your eggs

spray pam on a tiny bowl, cook 2 eggs for about 70-75 seconds (watch closely or explosion!) and bam...its like a poached egg.

easy clean up and good for lazy people. I cook mine in a pan nowadays though...
  • RissyKissy
    RissyKissy Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    Oatmeal with different things in it, ie. cinnamon, a little splenda, raisins, cut up apple or banana, or baked oatmeal. Yogurt is always good or yogurt with granola. What about a healthy cereal with skim milk? Cottage cheese with fruit, I mash partially thawed strawberries into mine. Depending on the grill you could make toast and add a little peanut butter to it, have some fruit and milk with it. Some people will make omlettes at home and reheat in the microwave, Ive never personally tried that but it's a thought. Hope this helps.
  • fitnesspirateninja
    fitnesspirateninja Posts: 667 Member
    Options
    I like a hard-boiled egg sliced on a piece of whole wheat toast with a piece of fruit when I'm in a hurry (I love the avocado idea, by the way! I'm going to try that). I also like to make steel-cut oatmeal ahead of time and then microwave it in the morning with a banana (or dried cherries) and walnuts (or peanut butter). My go-to breakfast is usually shredded wheat with fruit and almond milk. It's quick and easy. I usually have a rice cake with peanut or sunflower seed butter on it in the early morning as a snack.
  • sxholmes
    Options
    An All Bran Bar and a piece of fruit or some fat free yogurt is a quick and filling breakfast.
  • Ral263
    Ral263 Posts: 318 Member
    Options
    A few ideas.....

Microwave Omelet.
    Just keep a carton of Egg Beaters on hand, and micro a few with a handful of spinach (and any other microwaveable veggies) and micro covered for about 2 minutes for 3-4 eggs. Top with pepper and salsa. You can also take this and put it inbetween a whole wheat english muffin.

Waffle Sandwich
    Toast 2 Kashi waffles, spread Peanut Butter or Almond BUtter on one slice, and top with sliced bananas, and sprinkle cinnamon on top. Top with other slice.

Greek Yogurt Parfait
    Before work, layer a tupperware container with 1/2 cup of FIber One or Kashi Go Lean, then top with 1/2 cup of plain non fat Greek Yogurt. Then, add a layer of fruit (I like blueberries or peaches), sprinkle with cinnamon and a little stevia. Add another layer of cereal and chopped nuts if you want, then cover with another layer of yogurt.
  • Ddavis1967
    Ddavis1967 Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    I am TRULY a lazy cook...I hate it. So for breakfast I eat a Special K Protein Meal replacement bar. They are quite tasty and come in a couple of different flavors. They have enough protein and carbs to get me going in the morning.
  • rleslie0002
    Options
    Here's a recipe for my Protein-Packed Omelets On-the-Go

1.25 lb. pkg Lean Ground Turkey
    32 oz. Egg Beaters Egg Whites
    2 cups Finely Chopped Veggies
    - Today I used red bell pepper, green onions & mushrooms
    Add spices to taste – I use Mrs. Dash because there’s no salt added.
    - Today I used Extra Spicy

1) Preheat oven to 350 F.
    2) Brown ground turkey in non-stick skillet with Pam cooking spray.
    3) Finely chop veggies.
    4) Drain turkey and stir in a bowl with veggies and egg whites.
    5) Coat two non-stick cupcake pans (12 each) with Pam.
    6) Fill cupcake pans with mixture to brim. (should fill 21 cups)
    7) Bake for about 30 min. or until they brown slightly and are no longer runny on top.
    8) Scoop out of pan with spoon to cool.
    9) Store in refrigerator up to one week.

* I like to store three each in a ziplock bag, then I can heat them in the microwave and eat em on the go if I’m running short on time. I eat three each morning with two cups of half-caffeine coffee made with non-fat creamer and artificial sweetener.

They each contain:
    77 cal.
    4.5 g. fat
    10 g. protein

Three per day:
    231 cal.
    13.5 g. fat
    30 g. protein
  • chuckanderson
    Options
    Why do you want to eat more in the morning? So many studies show it doesn't matter at all.

That said, I just eat a Cliff Builder protein bar every morning, have an 11 o clock salad, and protein shake in the afternoon before I work out
  • 6Janelle13
    6Janelle13 Posts: 353 Member
    Options
    quick cook an egg (a single egg takes less then 2 minutes and i make mine as the coffee brews) and add some salsa or fresh sliced tomatoes.
  • emmaleigh47
    emmaleigh47 Posts: 1,670 Member
    Options
    Ok no laughing but...

I dont eat breakfast food for breakfast most days -- this came from years of being an ICU nurse and then a nurse practitioner. I didnt always get lunch ... so I needed to make sure that breakfast was good to hold me over.

So I started eating lunch for breakfast -- what I mean is right now I generally have a Smart One Tuna Casserole in the morning before work. It fills me up and keep me full until I can get to lunch (whatever time that is)
  • topazz9
    Options
    a chocolate shake.. a healthy one! combine carob/cocoa powder, a banana, some crushed ice, and some water in a blender.. only about 130 cals and tastes great :)
  • jimmymonkey
    Options
    I am a nurse, and my shifts start early so I don't waste my time eating in the morning, I have breakfast during my morning break-time. I cook steel-cut oatmeal at night (enough for 2-3 days) and put it in small containers to nuke at work. I usually add a teaspoon of strawberry jam to it to sweeten. Very filling, more so than the instant oatmeal. Takes only seconds to heat up. :flowerforyou:
  • Myschelle
    Myschelle Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    I'm not huge on breakfast type foods, so I like to take high fiber wraps by Misson (12 g fiber), sprinkle with cheese, black beans or southwest carving board chicken strips, heat the wrap in a skillet flat and fold in half when cheese starts to melt to make a yummy tortilla. I eat mine with rotels (tomatoes and chilies). It's very tastey and very filling due to the amout of fiber. It's very simple, and quick less than 3 minutes beginning to end. Good luck!
  • jaybaileys
    Options
    oatmeal with fruit and protein powder , egg whites and tabasco, hard boiled eggs, or a shakeology. All can be made in less than 5 mins. Ok you have to hard boil the eggs ahead of time but otherwise all are very quick.
  • denacutrone
    Options
    i put eggbeatrs in a muffin pan with a little shredded cheese on top bake at 350 for about 20 minutes or so. i freeze them and then i nuke them for 1 minute. each one works out to 1/4 cup so about 30 calories each
  • radarseven
    radarseven Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone for your fantastic ideas, it's good to know there are other lazy bones's out there. ;)

One thing though, I think I might need a U.S.-Australian dictionary or some kind of interpreter as some of these foods sound very mysterious to me! Egg beaters? (these are a kitchen utensil where I come from).. steel-cut oats? (sounds dangerous!).. and my absolute favourite - Pam.. ?!? The only Pam I know is a lady I work with. Ha ha! I don't know how she'd feel about being sprayed onto things. :laugh:

Anyway, thanks again. :)