Stressed

Options
School has gotten me so stressed that all I want to do is eat. How can I control these urges, and what are good snacking foods that will cut these cravings (because carrots and celery is not doing it).

Replies

• moreli01
    Options
    School has gotten me so stressed that all I want to do is eat. How can I control these urges, and what are good snacking foods that will cut these cravings (because carrots and celery is not doing it).
  • jmlane1981
    Options
    TOTALLY SUGAR FREE JELLO!!! You can buy them in the snack pack for 5 cals per cup or buy a whole box and you make at home... and it's 10 cals for a 1/2 of a cup. sugar-free Fudgsicles... 40 cals in each and they last a while, with the added bonus of getting your chocolate fix :) Ooh! And dill pickles are good, too! A little high on sodium, but only 5 cals a spear! SLICED APPLES These are some suggestions. I really don't know what kind of food you like to eat. Good luck... I know how stress eating is, that is one of my biggest downfalls.
  • Dsmart
    Dsmart Posts: 10
    Options
    What helps me are pears. I cut them in peices and when I need a snack I dig in. I can eat a pear about 9:30 in the morning and not be hungry til 12:30. None of the other fruits seem to do that for me. I've been told bananas help most people but for me bananas only make me even hungrier. Experiment around with fresh fruits and even dried ones and you'll eventually find what works for you. Good luck.
  • banks1850
    banks1850 Posts: 3,475 Member
    Options
    Well, first, you need to examine why you think of food when you are stressed, and if you are in school, you should have access to free psychology services I believe (almost all schools have this), I would take advantage of it, because turning to food because of stress is psychological. Now, in the mean time, while you are figuring it out, go with very high volume, low cal foods to fix you up (stuff that will tell your head your eating but won't be in the thousands of caleries!) I tend to turn to plain pop corn, sounds boring, I know, but what can you do, your body is asking for food, If stress is the trigger, then it probably doesn't matter what type of food you use. Another would be rice cakes...things with lots of volume to it but not much calories. Spaghetti squash is great if you want real substance, low cals and tastes somewhat like pasta. This works for many veggies. Another thing would be sugar free popsicles, most have very few calories and take a while to eat.

Hope this helps.
  • moreli01
    Options
    Thanks everyone...those sound like good things to try. I appreciate your suggestions!
  • cltimes2
    Options
    Hey, try a work out! It helps get rid of the stress AND it takes your mind away from the urge to snack. When that doesn't work, or I just can't convince myself to work out, then I like microwave popcorn. The light stuff is good and low calorie. I also like to snack on edamame. Not quite as low calorie but you can have a bunch for few calories. And since it takes a little while to eat, you mind has a chance to feel satisfied before you've consumed too many calories.
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 33,945 Member
    Options
    mmmm edamame, my favorite. good protein, too.

cm
  • sexyprincipessa
    Options
    okay so im new to this whole weightloss thing i've tried everything it just seems i dont have the motivation to do it for some reason.. i work in an office ..... a quiet one and all i want to do is eat im so bored.. i dont have an appetite anymore i just eat whenever i feel like it.... besides that i just quit smoking so thats not making it any easier..... i just am looking for a point of motivation and i cant find it.... any ideas?
  • neverbeenskinny
    neverbeenskinny Posts: 446 Member
    Options
    What I usually do when I want to reach for something to snack on during the day is I drink an 8 oz glass of water, then I go out and walk around the block once. This should only take you minutes to do. If I still feel hungry when I get back to the office, I will cut an apple or pear and eat half. Apples and Pears are dense and will give you a full feeling without too much calories.