I'm more confused than ever....

Options
mimzy
mimzy Posts: 135 Member
I have been reading about sugars (thank you Banks), but now I'm more confused than ever. I have been eating only whole foods and no refined sugars. Not realizing that I could track the sugars in my food diary, I checked that out. I have been DOUBLING my sugar intake with complex carbs.

Here's an example of my daily diet:
Breakfast
8 oz glass of grapefruit juice
1 serving of oatmeal (not instant pkg) sweetened with 1 T. honey

Lunch
1 c. whole wheat pasta
1 c. steamed mixed vegetables
4 oz. grilled chicken breast

Dinner
1/2 c. brown rice
4 oz grilled chicken breast
1 c. steamed vegetables

Snacks
Watermelon
Grapefruit
1/4 c. peanuts

How in the name of Pete am I supposed to get 1300 calories a day AND stay within the ranges suggested in the food diary???

Can someone send me an example of their daily food that stays WITHIN calories, fat, protien AND sugar??

Replies

• mimzy
    Options
    I have been reading about sugars (thank you Banks), but now I'm more confused than ever. I have been eating only whole foods and no refined sugars. Not realizing that I could track the sugars in my food diary, I checked that out. I have been DOUBLING my sugar intake with complex carbs.

Here's an example of my daily diet:
    Breakfast
    8 oz glass of grapefruit juice
    1 serving of oatmeal (not instant pkg) sweetened with 1 T. honey

Lunch
    1 c. whole wheat pasta
    1 c. steamed mixed vegetables
    4 oz. grilled chicken breast

Dinner
    1/2 c. brown rice
    4 oz grilled chicken breast
    1 c. steamed vegetables

Snacks
    Watermelon
    Grapefruit
    1/4 c. peanuts

How in the name of Pete am I supposed to get 1300 calories a day AND stay within the ranges suggested in the food diary???

Can someone send me an example of their daily food that stays WITHIN calories, fat, protien AND sugar??
  • kimber607
    kimber607 Posts: 7,128 Member
    Options
    Hi

This is just my .02 but your menu looks great....is that 1300cals?
    I wouldn't worry too much about the fat, sugar etc breakdown if you are eating healthy foods etc...
    I don't think over-analyzing will work in the long run...
    Sorry I can't be of any help..I didn't track my fat, protein etc, just my cals

Kim
  • iluvsparkles
    iluvsparkles Posts: 1,730 Member
    Options
    i've been meaning to learn more about sugars, and need to do some reading. I need to search the forums and find some threads to read about it...
  • CuteDove
    CuteDove Posts: 49
    Options
    wellll

as some of my great friends here suggested me when i was confued

that if ur a beginner.. dont go into the datails..
    just eat what u feel like healthy and complete ur cal range

when it becomes easy for u to remain in cal limit.. then u can go further in depth

PS: i think the more u dig into these complex things.. the more confused u r supposed to get..

so just eat healthy.. exercise.. complete cals and that shd do it

:flowerforyou:
  • mimzy
    Options
    I lost 9 lbs in about as many days.....then it stopped, went back up a couple lbs then back down a lb now it's 8 lb loss actually--but, I don't want to change my ticker! LOL

I wonder if it's because I freaked my body out and not only started eating healthy, I started walking (I have been pretty sedentary all my life) and I completely cut out all diet sodas and fast food. Maybe my body is just in rebellion mode?
  • shorerider
    shorerider Posts: 3,817 Member
    Options
    Natural sugars aren't as bad as refined sugars, so it's no a huge deal. However, if you want you could cut back on them still. I see you have juice and then fruit twice as snacks--large amounts of natural sugars there! A start would be to limit your fruit intake.

That said---I'm a diabetic, so I have to watch even natural sugars and limit my fruits to a serving or at most 2 a day. For most people though a few servings of fruit a day wouldn't hurt you and probably is good for you.

Also, they do make low-sugar bread if you're that determined to cut back BUT I don't even eat that stuff!
  • lotusfromthemud
    lotusfromthemud Posts: 5,335 Member
    Options
    I lost 9 lbs in about as many days.....then it stopped, went back up a couple lbs then back down a lb now it's 8 lb loss actually--but, I don't want to change my ticker! LOL

I wonder if it's because I freaked my body out and not only started eating healthy, I started walking (I have been pretty sedentary all my life) and I completely cut out all diet sodas and fast food. Maybe my body is just in rebellion mode?

Your body is just adjusting probably. You woke it up. . ."hey. ..I was happy being unhealthy. . ." the body, IMHO fears change. It's natural to drop a lot of weight the first week or so, then your body snaps back a bit. My deal with fruit is that it should be whole fruit, so you get the fibre benefits.

I wouldn't sweat the details too much, as long as you're eating real food.:flowerforyou:

I looked and looked through my food diary pages to find a "perfect" (not over in anything) day. I couldn't find one. This isn't necessarily an "exact" science, so just try to stay close to your goals, and don't sweat over in a column on any given day. Now, if you're consistently 200 over in your carbs, for example, you might want to re-examine some things. But, a few (or even 50-100) every now and again won't damage you, at least I don't think so.
  • mimzy
    Options
    Thanks! Whatever you're doing is definitely working for you! Great job on your success!! :flowerforyou:

I'm going to keep a positive outlook and be patient. I suppose my body will soon have to give in.