New to the gym life

Options
Ok I got my very first gym membership today and I was totally lost :( I did some running which is what I normally do on the track but I want something that is a routine...so I don't look dumb just wandering around the gym :( I did a few weight machines but I am really needing some advice on what to do!!!?!?!?!

Please! Any help would be amazin!

Thanks!

Replies

• pyro13g
    pyro13g Posts: 1,127 Member
    Options
    No help by staff? If not, look to circuit training.
  • Davis713
    Davis713 Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    Not much help today, tomorrow the "main" guy will be there?!
  • HeartsTurtle
    Options
    I would suggest trying out different machines every day until you find the ones you're most comfortable with. My gym has about 4 different ellipticals, but 2 of them put to much pressure on my knees (I've had problems in the past) and there are certain treadmills that just feel better to me. Don't be scared to look like you're "wandering" or "lost".. everyone was new at one point! And if you have questions, definitely ask for help.. that's why you're paying for a membership afterall!
  • paulandrea
    paulandrea Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    Do the clases (yoga, zumba,aerobics etc) thats what i do, because i dont know either how do the machines
  • fireflyangel22
    fireflyangel22 Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    My gym offered a free session with a trainer to help show me around the gym and how to properly use equipment. Take advantage of that service if available.
  • bstamps12
    bstamps12 Posts: 1,184
    Options
    I have some apps on my ipod touch that show me how to use the machines and some are specifically programmed for women with short workouts. Search the fitness apps if you have an iphone or other smartphone. Also, dumbbells are great! They can do just about anything you would do at a beginner level on a machine, but you don't have to worry about adjusting a seat or the resistance levels or anything else. You can google a lot of different exercise with dumbbells.
  • maffydavison
    maffydavison Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    If they have classes, try them out. I used to only go to the spinning classes, but now I am getting braver (i.e., willing to look like the uncoordinated nerd I am) and trying other classes.

Supposedly, elliptical machines are easier on your joints, but as someone else said here, some are better than others. Try them out, and don't get discouraged if it seems like a confusing rhythm to get. I just couldn't seem to 'flow' with the elliptical for a while. It took me a couple of attempts to get the technique down.

Enjoy the gym. Remember that all the people there work for you! Your membership is key for their livelihood, so ask for help when you need it. :)
  • Ally_Clare
    Ally_Clare Posts: 355 Member
    Options
    I'm sure a staff member will be happy enough to show you around, otherwise you can type in the machines onto youtube and watch how they are used.