Turkey

Options
Ok I have a whole turkey (7.69 pounds) and I have no clue what to do with it. I have never cooked a turkey before, so any help or recipe would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance

Replies

• ndhein
    Options
    You can just cook it in the oven (rub down with spices, thanksgiving style)- or that sounds like a small-ish turkey, you could make some turkey soup or turkey chili - I always like making a big batch of soup and then freezing it for later. . .
  • bassetthree
    bassetthree Posts: 143 Member
    Options
    I roast a turkey breast about twice per month. You season the turkey with a pat of butter or margarine, a little salt, pepper, sage or poultry seasoning. Cover with foil and roast 20 minutes per pound at 350 degrees. When the turkey nearly done - remove the foil and allow it to brown. After the timer goes off, check with a meat thermometer. The temp at the thickest part of the breast should be at least 165.

Now you can slice it up for dinners, to use in soups, fresh turkey sandwiches and you can freeze part of it to use for later. We love it!! Good luck with your turkey.
  • aflane
    aflane Posts: 625 Member
    Options
    Turkey is the easiest. Here are directions. Preheat oven to 425 deg F. Rinse the turkey and remove the gizzard pack from the body or neck cavity. Pat dry with a paper towel, and place the turkey In a roasting pan, (I prefer to line mine with tinfoil for easier cleanup). Drizzle some olive oil on the turkey and rub all over. Generously sprinkle some dried garlie powder over top turkey, and mildly salt and pepper (you can always add more, you can't take it away). Cover the pan with another sheet of tin foil to create a tent. Bake for approximately 15 minutes per pound of turkey. Around 30 minutes before it's done, remove the tinfoil tent so it can brown up nicely. TO check for doneness, poke a meat thermometer into the thick part of the breast or thigh. The meat temp should be 160 deg F for safe consumption.

Leftovers are yummy too. :)