Heart rate during exercise

Options
Hi! I recently joined a gym and when doing the elliptical, I put it on the Fat Burn mode.... I enter my weight and age and it gives me a target heart rate. The sensors on the elliptical keep track of my heart rate and it is always telling me to slow down. The problem is, although my heart rate gets up to the 180's.... I feel ok. Is it bad to continue at the pace I'm at if my heart rate is going up that high? I just want to get a good workout and feel like going as slow as this machine wants me to go is not helping me or making me feel like I got a good workout. Any insight? TIA!

Replies

• brityn
    brityn Posts: 443 Member
    Options
    Those sensors aren't always accurate. I use the treadmills at my gym and have entered all the info and used the heart rate sensors and usually burned 100 per 10 minutes. So a 30 minute run was around 300. I bought my own hrm that I wore around my waist....well, the calories were about 1/3 off....i was really only burning 220 for the same workout that the machine said 300 on. So, the sensors must be way off. I'd just stay at a steady pace you feel comfortable at and listen to your body. Good luck (invest in your own hrm)
  • SparkleShine
    SparkleShine Posts: 2,001 Member
    Options
    When I first started going to the gym mine was getting tha high too. Now it peaks at 165-168. I say listen to your body .
  • joleciamichelle
    joleciamichelle Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    I agree, if you want to be sure, you can check your own heart rate by finding your pulse and counting it for 6 seconds (using the timer on the machine) and multiply what you get by 10 to get your approx heart rate and try to keep working while you're doing this, it's not that difficult. Of course, you could always invest in a hrm, if you can afford it, I would definitely recommend it.
  • amydales
    amydales Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Mine is the same way. I peak around 180 and feel pretty comfortable running at this pace. I agree that a HRM would be a good investment and they aren't that expensive--definitely worth it. Everyone is different so everyone's HR will vary. Listen to you body and just use the calorie guide as exactly that, a guide.:)

Good luck!!
  • StephanieBFree
    StephanieBFree Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    I am the exact same way as you are. My heart rate will get up to 185 sometimes. My husband is a paramedic and says that as long as your heart rate recovers fairly quickly then all should be good. He also says that if it does not recover quickly then you should maybe speak to your medical Dr. about it. You can also calculate your general maximum heart rate by taking the number 226 (220 for men) and subtracting your age. My maximum heart rate is about 226 - 36 years of age = 190 bpm.

If ever in doubt talk to your Dr. and they can send you for heart stress testing to make sure there is no risk.